The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

How Does the Army Work? Options
Bedells
Posted: Wednesday, July 26, 2017 1:37:53 PM

Neurons: 516,093
I am curious about how serving in the army or the navy works in some aspects. I've heard that in some countries it's mandatory to do military service and, if you are called to service you can be sent to prison if you try to avoid it.

Imagine that you live in the US and you have a yearly $60,000 salary on your job. I guess you won't earn that much money in the army. Would the army pay you the same salary you had before you go to service? Can you refuse going to the army on the basis that you won't earn much money? What happens if you have debts and you are not able to pay them because of your service?

What happens if you have legal things pending like a trial or you have jury duty and you can't because of your army service? How many years you have to be active to be considered veteran? This question arises because on a TV show two guys call themselves "veterans" and they looked near enough 30 years.

In my country, only the people who want to enroll the army do the service but I know that it works differently in developed countries.

I look forward to read your comments!
Харбин Хэйлунцзян 1
Posted: Wednesday, July 26, 2017 1:51:34 PM

Neurons: 229,493
Bedells wrote:
In my country, only the people who want to enroll the army do the service but I know that it works differently in developed countries.

It would be great if you told us what country it is.

In Russia we have a draft.
If you are convicted of a crime you first serve the term in prison and only then go to the army.

აბა ყვავებს ვინ დაიჭერს, კარგო? გალიაში ბულბულები ზიან.
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Wednesday, July 26, 2017 3:21:55 PM

Neurons: 4,038
In the UK we have a volunteer military, only those that wish to enlist in the Army, Navy or Airforce have to do so.

We have in the past had conscription such as in WW1 and WW2 when men could be compelled to join the military, but these were times when the survival of the whole country was at stake.

After WW2 we then had National Service were men between the ages of 17-21 had to complete 18 months military service unless they were in an important industry such as coal mining, this lasted until 1960.

I lack the imagination for a witty signature.
mactoria
Posted: Thursday, July 27, 2017 12:23:20 AM

Neurons: 845,465
US discontinued an involuntary draft in the 1970s, has had a completely voluntary military since then. For those who volunteer, the salary/pay scale is the same for everyone with the same rank (e.g. private, corporal, etc.) with differentials in benefits for those who have a family to support (still not a great salary scale, but things like something toward housing is provided...though we still have stories of people in the military with families having to take advantage of food stamps and social benefits like that to get by, sort of depends on what part of the country a military family is stationed in terms of cost of living). The pay isn't great, but veterans get a number of lifetime benefits such as access to veterans' medical care, access to PX (post exchange) to buy reduce-cost food and other supplies, some funding for college (called the GI Bill), etc.

There have periodically been shortfalls in certain types of military recruits based on either the economy or when the US has bogged down in various conflicts in the Middle East. When this happened there have sometimes been bonuses offered to recruits as well as promises made to them as to what assignments they'll get once they finish basic training. But for the most part, the all-volunteer military has worked out well for the US: only those who really want to serve are in the military (well, a few people still try the military for reasons like there are no jobs in their area so the army sounds like a good idea to get a paying job, but then once in they realize they hate military discipline or other things). But because it's totally voluntary, young people of wealthy families typically don't volunteer, making it less egalitarian that it was when there was a draft, though there still are a number of youth from well off families who volunteer to serve in high tech or pilot training...and some because they realize at a young age that they might want a career in politics when they're older and voters tend to like candidates with military service.

Since the advent of the all-volunteer military there are periodic discussions of imposing a requirement on all youth (ie people 18-22 yrs old) to either join the military, join the Peace Corps, or do some type of voluntary community service. To date, Congress hasn't been willing to impose this requirement for various reasons.
TMe
Posted: Thursday, July 27, 2017 1:31:38 AM

Neurons: 2,603
Because of flexibility and lack of stricter laws, there should be conscription in the countries with democratic setup.

I am a layman.
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Thursday, July 27, 2017 6:56:07 AM

Neurons: 4,038
Members of my family are in the Armed Forces here, and they don't want conscripts.
A volunteer soldier is there because they wants to be they are motivated to train hard and takes in the lessons they are taught well, an be relied upon in the field to know what they are doing.
A conscript is there for a short period of service against their will and may resent what they are asked to do, in
combat or even training with live rounds this could be a liability.

Some places like Israel perhaps were th e population regard themselves as constantly under threat the sense of duty amongst conscripts might be different.

I lack the imagination for a witty signature.
Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Friday, July 28, 2017 12:56:49 AM

Neurons: 65,457
Its very necessary in India because the country got independence recently and people take freedom with the freedom.

Me Gathering Pebbles at The Seashore.-Aj
Bedells
Posted: Friday, July 28, 2017 1:21:37 PM

Neurons: 516,093
Thanks for your input. I learned several interesting things.