The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

had passed to his eternal reward Options
mcurrent
Posted: Wednesday, July 26, 2017 10:55:07 AM

Neurons: 2,709
Hi.
Can you explain to me what "pass" and "reward" mean?

The text is

When we got past the skunk who had passed to his eternal reward, Jeff stopped to rest.

All I knew from text that the skunk is dead, but I can't choose proper meaning for "pass" and "reward".

Thanks in advance.
NancyUK
Posted: Wednesday, July 26, 2017 11:19:27 AM

Neurons: 46,431
Hi mcurrent

Quote:
When we got past the skunk who had passed to his eternal reward, Jeff stopped to rest.

This is a mixture of a euphemism and an idiom (TFD Pass and Reward):

Euphemism: Passed

Pass v intr
11. To cease to exist; die. Often used with on: The patient passed on during the night.

Idiom: to his eternal reward

Go to one's (just) reward
Euph. to die. Let us pray for our departed sister, who has gone to her just reward. Bill: How's your grandma these days? Tom: She went to her reward last winter, may she rest in peace.

I would live all my life in nonchalance and insouciance, Were it not for making a living, which is rather a nouciance. Ogden Nash
mcurrent
Posted: Thursday, July 27, 2017 7:46:23 AM

Neurons: 2,709
It's good to know from you about euphemism, thanks a lot, NancyUK.
Romany
Posted: Friday, July 28, 2017 4:36:29 AM

Neurons: 39,156

Nancy - have you noticed that, in AE now the word 'passed' is being used instead of 'died'. Sentences such as "I started to get panic attacks when my father passed." confused me greatly until I realised this. I mean, how creepy could his father be if he got panic-attacks each time he passed by?

This is no doubt because the USA is a religious country. The majority of Americans believe that they will "pass" from this world to another when they die.
In the secular West, however, we stick to 'died'.
Харбин Хэйлунцзян 1
Posted: Friday, July 28, 2017 5:05:24 AM

Neurons: 313,060
NancyUK wrote:
Go to one's (just) reward
Euph. to die. Let us pray for our departed sister, who has gone to her just reward. Bill: How's your grandma these days? Tom: She went to her reward last winter, may she rest in peace.

A very strange idiom. I would understood it as 'to die' but with additional connotations of 'to get one's deserts'. :(

აბა ყვავებს ვინ დაიჭერს, კარგო? გალიაში ბულბულები ზიან.
thar
Posted: Friday, July 28, 2017 6:03:40 AM

Neurons: 62,977
Me too, Rom. It still feels like a very strange euphemism every time I hear it. But 'passed away' is OK. So it is all about phrasal verbs!

XX
The Bible (especially New Testament) is very big on judgement - reward and punishment. It was an integral part of life and language of the English for centuries.

Quote:
Matthew 5:12 Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you.

Quote:
Matthew 16:27
For the Son of man shall come in the glory of his Father with his angels; and then he shall reward every man according to his works.

Quote:
Matthew 25:46
And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

Quote:
Mark 3:29
But he that shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost hath never forgiveness, but is in danger of eternal damnation.

Quote:
Romans 6:23
For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Then it becomes the idiom, the prose of choice.
Even roadkill gets its eternal reward! Angel

IMcRout
Posted: Friday, July 28, 2017 8:34:37 AM

Neurons: 475,210
thar wrote
Quote:
Even roadkill gets its eternal reward!

I becomes a punishment, though, when you have to scrape the mortal remains of the deceased off your windscreen. Pray

I totally take back all those times I didn't want to nap when I was younger. (Anon)