The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Birthday and Date of Birth. Options
TMe
Posted: Friday, July 21, 2017 1:46:43 PM

Neurons: 3,094
We celebrate Birthday of our dears but, in official papers, we write date of birth not day of birth.
Birthday is a moment of the past, will never repeat. Birth date, every year, will remind us of our birth. Experts,please explain, why it is so.

I am a layman.
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Friday, July 21, 2017 3:45:20 PM

Neurons: 4,428
TMe wrote:
We celebrate Birthday of our dears but, in official papers, we write date of birth not day of birth.
Birthday is a moment of the past, will never repeat. Birth date, every year, will remind us of our birth. Experts,please explain, why it is so.

Date of birth and day of birth are two different things.

My date of birth would be the day/month/year, the day I was born was a Wednesday.

Which means in the words of the British folk rhyme I am full of woe..

I lack the imagination for a witty signature.
Romany
Posted: Friday, July 21, 2017 4:11:37 PM

Neurons: 39,161

As an explanation for anyone not familiar with Sarries reference: - we have a very old folk-saying in English:-

"Monday's child is fair of face
Tuesday's child is full of grace,
Wednesday's child is full of woe,
Thursday's child has far to go,
Friday's child is loving and giving,
Saturday's child works hard for a living,
But the child who is born on the Sabbath Day
Is bonny and blithe and good and gay."

About the only time we ever inquire into a person's 'day' of birth is to find out which of these lines is supposed to apply.
will
Posted: Friday, July 21, 2017 4:14:42 PM

Neurons: 4,152
Friday... full of beer.

In parts of America being gay is never acceptable, especially on the Sabbath day. Silenced
Romany
Posted: Friday, July 21, 2017 4:49:46 PM

Neurons: 39,161

Oh, silly boy, Will. All gay people take the day off on Sunday - didn't you know?
Hope123
Posted: Friday, July 21, 2017 5:34:12 PM

Neurons: 40,337
And here I thought the Sabbath was Saturday!

I was born on Thanksgiving Day which in Canada is always a Monday. Wish I'd known the poem when I was younger and it mattered what one looked like. Whistle I once checked to see how many times my birthdate fell on Thanksgiving Day. But I don't care - we always celebrate my birthday on TD.

So sorry Sarrri - Whistle Romany and Will - Applause

Equality is when you see a person - not a label.
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Friday, July 21, 2017 6:04:20 PM

Neurons: 4,428
Hope123 wrote:
And here I thought the Sabbath was Saturday!

I was born on Thanksgiving Day which in Canada is always a Monday. Wish I'd known the poem when I was younger and it mattered what one looked like. Whistle I once checked to see how many times my birthdate fell on Thanksgiving Day. But I don't care - we always celebrate my birthday on TD.

So sorry Sarrri - Whistle Romany and Will - Applause

That's no problem, mines at a special time of year too, it means having time off, extra presents and mince pies.

In the Church of England Sunday is the Sabbath day, however in other denominations it's Saturday and the Jewish faith according to tradition declares it to be from Friday Sunset until the next Saturday evening.

I lack the imagination for a witty signature.
Hope123
Posted: Friday, July 21, 2017 8:41:59 PM

Neurons: 40,337
Ohhh. Mince pie. My Mom used to make them from scratch with suet and all kinds of good things at least every Christmas. Have not had one in years. My mouth just watered. She also steamed Christmas pudding and made a brown sugar sauce to pour over it. Good times.

To tie it in to the original post - TMe, Christmas is Jesus' birthday and it is always on the date of December 25th in Christianity, but may fall on different days of the week.

Equality is when you see a person - not a label.
TMe
Posted: Saturday, July 22, 2017 12:33:46 AM

Meaning thereby, we have a birthday every week, 4-5 times a month and at least 52 birthdays in a year? Am I right, Hope123?

I am a layman.
will
Posted: Sunday, July 23, 2017 7:47:30 AM

Neurons: 4,152
I’m not sure anyone has really understood your question, TMe.

Date of birth refers to the date – day, month and specific year you were born, such as 12 July 1972

Your birthday is the day you celebrate the anniversary of the day you were born, such as 12 July 1973 when you turn a year old and 1983 when you turned 10 and 2018 when you will be 45 years old.

Hope that helps.

Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Monday, July 24, 2017 12:11:19 AM

Neurons: 66,411
Tme says, we celebrate date of birth but we call it day of birth.

Me Gathering Pebbles at The Seashore.-Aj
srirr
Posted: Monday, July 24, 2017 1:31:25 AM

Neurons: 137,859
TMe, you are correct about date and day. What my understanding says is that we do not celebrate birth date, we celebrate birth-day. Everybody understands the date; it would be something like 12 July 1972. It occurs only once in the history of mankind. There is no repetition. If we have to mention the date of birth, we put it like that.

When we talk of day, it is mostly to our discretion how we put it. Yes. The normal convention says it to be annually. So, we take the day which occurs once a year. 12 July every year will be my birthday. This is the most common convention.

I have seen people celebrating birthdays of their children every month. 12 July, 12 August, 12 September, 12 October and so. And these are correctly said to be birthdays. Although it is not common. I have seen some young people celebrating their proposal day's anniversary (the day when the boy proposed to his girl) every month. Once again, not common.

When we say 'day' we just remember the day when the event had happened. Like Independence Day means when we got independence. It is not the date, but the day of the year. Celebrating anything once a year keeps the enthusiasm and fervour alive. Celebrating the day every month or week may reduce the importance and excitement, IMO. But there is no one to stop me.

And thus, we can have birthdays 52 times a year, if we want. But remember, this will not be common nomenclature and others may not understand it initially.

We are responsible for what we are, and whatever we wish ourselves to be, we have the power to make ourselves. ~ Swami Vivekanand
TMe
Posted: Monday, July 24, 2017 2:20:23 AM

Yes srirr

As per your logic too, it should called 'Birthdate'.

I am a layman.
srirr
Posted: Monday, July 24, 2017 3:16:16 AM

Neurons: 137,859
No, it is Birthday.
Birthdate is specific date, with day, month and year. (24 July 2004)

Birthday is remembrance of day. What I am saying is that this 'day' is normally treated as an annual occurrence. Logically, it can be monthly, but this frequency has no general or common acceptance.

We are responsible for what we are, and whatever we wish ourselves to be, we have the power to make ourselves. ~ Swami Vivekanand
Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Wednesday, July 26, 2017 11:40:05 AM

Neurons: 66,411
Death Anniversary or Date of death or Death-day?

Me Gathering Pebbles at The Seashore.-Aj