The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Healthy! Series #2 Options
hedy mmm
Posted: Sunday, July 23, 2017 4:10:20 PM

Neurons: 390,855
Natural Anxiety Remedies

Anxiety affects 40 million people in the U.S., and 43% of North Americans take mood altering prescriptions regularly. Paxil and Zoloft (two of the more popular anti-anxiety medications) were among the top ten prescribed drugs in the US, and totaled almost $5 Billion in sales in 2002.

Other anti-anxiety medications—benzodiazepines like Valium, Ativan and Xanax—notoriously impair performance and are highly addictive. Not to mention the tens of millions of Americans who "cope" with their chronic anxiety by drinking alcohol to excess or taking illegal prescription painkillers.

This documented 'natural alternative to prescription drugs' narrative was found in Google:

HK was a 40-something man who came to me seeking help for his panic attacks. Periodically, in Tony Soprano fashion, he'd be overcome with dread, but with distinct physical symptoms: nausea, stabbing headaches, lightheadedness, heart-pounding, and drenching sweats. After several fruitless trips to the ER, where he was told he was "fine" and handed a prescription for Xanax, he came to see me. After hearing his story, I warned that I might be able to help him, but that some stubborn cases of panic disorder really do require meds, at least in the short run. But he was determined to avoid a drug fix, and I agreed to run some tests and make some suggestions.

First off, I prescribed some magnesium pills. Stress depletes magnesium, and many patients with low magnesium have hair-trigger responses to stress. Sure enough, his magnesium levels, measured via an ultra-sensitive test, turned out later to be in the basement.

Second, I started HK on Omega 3 fish oil pills. HK's diet was abysmal, consisting of junk food fried in poor quality oils, and he hardly ate any fish or nuts. Omega 3 fish oil has found a role in psychiatry by promoting optimal brain function in many patients with anxiety, depression, and even schizophrenia.

Additionally, after a glucose tolerance test showed severe hypoglycemia, I put HK on a hypoglycemia diet, with frequent small meals and snacks and time release carbs with plenty of high-quality protein and healthy fats. HK had a "teachable moment" during the test when his blood sugar dropped to 46 and his panic symptoms started to kick in.

Finally, I told HK to begin taking L-Theanine, which has been shown to have a calming and focussing effect, without the drowsiness-inducing or performance-impairing properties of conventional anti-anxiety meds. I also reinforced HK's decision to see a cognitive behavioral therapist, a type of practitioner I find particularly well-suited to addressing anxiety and phobias.

I wasn't expecting miracles when I saw HK three weeks later—I had urged him to keep his expectations modest and that the recovery process might be slow, with occasional speed bumps. But when HK returned to seem me, he was ecstatic. The headaches were nearly gone, and best of all, not a single panic attack! In a series of follow-up visits, HK has shown steady improvement and very carefully adheres to his program of diet and supplements. He is thankful that I gave him a chance to try a natural alternative to prescription drugs.

Cases like HK's remind me how empowering natural medicine can be. If only more Americans were aware of its benefits, and had the personal discipline to commit to a program of lifestyle modification, we could avoid the tragedy of millions being unnecessarily ensnared by the drug paradigm.

DISCLAIMER: Throughout my TFD Health Series, you will find references to the medicinal uses of herbs and/or natural alternatives to prescription drugs. You may be tempted to try them. But please do your homework before you use any plant medicine. Herbs do heal, but each person’s health situation is unique, and some therapeutic plants may have unanticipated and unintended consequences, especially when used in combination with prescription drug therapies. I am telling you this for your own good. Be careful. Be very careful...I am not an MD. Please don't kill the messenger.

hedy

"God graced us with today....don't waste it." hedy
Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Monday, July 24, 2017 12:21:37 AM

Neurons: 65,457
Good research, hedy. Attitude too plays a major role. Tension can't be avoided totally but can be minimized. War, terrorism, dud politicking are few examples of compulsory tension. Role of media also is a cause of tension.

...yes antidepressants definitely tell upon your other health. Meditation helps.
...moreover..better is to

"3. Write down all the reasons why even if the worst-case scenario did happen, you would still be okay.

Many times we feel that if something unwanted were to happen, it would be completely devastating: We wouldn’t be able to survive, or we'd be forever unhappy. The truth is that difficult, unwanted things happen all the time and people survive and sometimes even come out the better because of them. Our brains are extremely adaptive to our relative circumstances: Many paraplegics, a year after their injury, report just as much happiness as lottery winners.3 How well you handle any situation depends largely on your perception of your ability to cope with it. Instead of focusing on why you won't be okay, think of your strengths. Think of the difficult things you have already overcome in life and why you are resourceful enough to get through other challenges."

--Jennice Vilhauer Ph.D.

Me Gathering Pebbles at The Seashore.-Aj