The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

opposite of "tone down" your critism Options
robjen
Posted: Saturday, July 22, 2017 4:12:05 AM

Neurons: 1,699
I am going to make up an example.

(ex) Being very upset, Mary wrote a highly critical review about the author's previous anti-feministic book. Her anger caused by his recent article on the same topic incites her to amplify her criticism in her current review.

I am looking for a verb that means "make her criticism more severe". Thanks for your help.
TheParser
Posted: Saturday, July 22, 2017 8:14:37 AM

Neurons: 20,438

NOT A TEACHER

"Her anger has caused her to ramp up (intensify) her criticism."
thar
Posted: Saturday, July 22, 2017 11:24:05 AM

Neurons: 61,591
Amplify does not work here. It dies mean 'make bigger' but only to take something in from outside and make it bigger.
You cannot amplify something you make yourself.

You have something that already exists - a wave, a sound; an emotion, a situation.

You take that and amplify it so it is bigger than before. But the amplifier does not produce the sound. It merely takes it and makes it bigger.

Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Saturday, July 22, 2017 12:56:47 PM

Neurons: 65,469
Amplification is a scientific word, the use of which in context of 'criticism' is misplaced.

It should critically criticised.

critically

crit·i·cal (krĭt′ĭ-kəl)
adj.
1. Judging severely and finding fault: a writer who is very critical of the government's foreign policy.
a. Relating to or characterized by criticism; reflecting careful analysis and judgment: a critical appreciation of the filmmaker's work.
b. Of, relating to, or characteristic of critics: a play that received great critical acclaim.
c. Including scholarly commentary and interpretation: a critical edition of Poe's stories.TFD

Me Gathering Pebbles at The Seashore.-Aj
George Weischadle
Posted: Saturday, July 22, 2017 2:25:24 PM

Neurons: 948
robjen wrote:
I am going to make up an example.

(ex) Being very upset, Mary wrote a highly critical review about the author's previous anti-feministic book. Her anger caused by his recent article on the same topic incites her to amplify her criticism in her current review.

I am looking for a verb that means "make her criticism more severe". Thanks for your help.

intensify, heighten, escalate, increase, step up, ratchet up, boost, raise, strengthen, pick up, heighten