The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Johnny One-Note Options
Daemon
Posted: Thursday, July 20, 2017 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 66,081
Johnny One-Note

Someone who repeatedly expresses or maintains a strong opinion on a single or a few particular subjects. Primarily heard in US, Canada. More...

KSPavan
Posted: Friday, July 21, 2017 3:11:48 AM

Neurons: 1,975,780
Idiom of the Day
Johnny One-Note — Someone who repeatedly expresses or maintains a strong opinion on a single or a few particular subjects. Primarily heard in US, Canada.
taurine
Posted: Friday, July 21, 2017 7:00:51 AM

Neurons: 51,118
Strange, a comma is not needed.
monamagda
Posted: Friday, July 21, 2017 7:33:23 AM

Neurons: 3,720,331

Johnny One Note

Song by Ella Fitzgerald

"Johnny One Note" is a 1937 show tune from the 1937 Rodgers and Hart musical Babes in Arms[1], where it was introduced by Wynn Murray. Judy Garland sang it in the Rodgers & Hart biopic Words and Music (1948).

"Johnny One-Note" is introduced in Babes in Arms by Wynn Murray aided by Douglas Parry, Alfred Drake, Elenore Tennis, The Nicholas Brothers, Bobby Lane, Mitzi Green, and Duke McHale. The vignette that features the song satirizes a show-off opera star who claims she can outsing anybody and anything even though she can only manage to produce a single note. Philip Furia and Michael Lasser in thier book America's Songs, note that the music for "Johnny One-Note" was a left-over, having been written for but not used in the Rodgers and Hart score for the movie Mississippi where it had been titled, "Pablo, You Are My Heart." For Babes in Arms, "Rodgers revised the melody by repeatedly pulling it down to middle C and then gave it to Hart, who enlivened this monotonous device with a lyric about [the] dazzling but limited vocalist who could sing only one note"

Judy Garland - Johnny One Note (Words And Music, 1948) - YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCtNkGxOwNo

TheParser
Posted: Friday, July 21, 2017 7:35:49 AM

Neurons: 22,062
Mona: I want to know what people think about the president of Jupiter. Who(m) should I ask? I wish to know the opinions of intelligent, rational people.

Raul: Well, then, I suggest that you ask Betty, Joe, Melinda, and Ralph.

Mona: What about George?

Raul: Absolutely not!

Mona: Why not?

Raul: He will only scream that the president of Jupiter is a racist, sexist, Fascist, etc. George is not the intelligent, rational kind of person who(m) you are seeking.

Mona: I had better keep away from him. He seems to be a Johnny One-Note, doesn't he!
Verbatim
Posted: Friday, July 21, 2017 3:10:59 PM

Neurons: 231,242
Johnny One-Note, would
that you were Johnny One-Time.
Please, Johnny Be Good!

will
Posted: Friday, July 21, 2017 4:19:48 PM

Neurons: 4,194
Nice use of irony, TheParser Applause
Hope123
Posted: Friday, July 21, 2017 5:58:02 PM

Neurons: 41,205
It says it is used in Canada - I'd have known what it meant but have never used it. We'd say: " Has a one-track mind."

World food shortage that threatens five hundred million children could be alleviated at the cost of one day's warfare.