The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Herbs for a Healthy Heart! Options
hedy mmm
Posted: Wednesday, July 19, 2017 11:58:14 AM

Neurons: 390,855
Herbs for a Healthy Heart

Heart Health—in a broader sense, the health of the entire circulatory system—ought to be at the top of everyone’s health concerns. In these health-conscious days, you no doubt already understand the importance of a low-fat diet, weight control, exercise, hypertension management, and quitting smoking. But herbs can be an important part of an overall holilstic program of heart heath—especially if you grow them yourself and enjoy the beneficial exercise of gardening. Here are just a few of the herbs that have been recommended for circulatory health, along with a list of resources for you to explore. (As with any medication, consult your physician before using any herb therapeutically.)

Garlic is among the oldest medicinal plants, and has long been praised for its antibiotic properties. But modern science has learned that garlic has a role to play in maintaining heart health. In numerous scientific studies, garlic has been demonstrated to lower cholesterol, reduce blood pressure, and help prevent blood clots.

Hawthorn helps to dilate coronary blood vessels, thereby improving the flow of blood to the heart. The leaves, flowers, and berries contain antioxidants and flavonoids that seem to strengthen the heart muscle, reduce blood levels of cholesterol and triglycerides, and lower high blood pressure.

Ginger, traditionally used as a digestive aid, helps to control several key risk factors for circulatory disease: cholesterol, blood pressure, plaque build-up, and blood clotting.

Ginkgo (Ginkgo biloba) is “good for the heart and lungs,” according to Pen Tsao Ching (The Classic of Herbs) and is widely used in the East to treat many heart and circulatory diseases. Plant chemicals improve arterial blood flow, reduce the risk of clotting, and enhance recovery from stroke.

Alfalfa isn’t just for horses. Experiments suggest that alfalfa leaves help prevent arterial plaque and reduce serum cholesterol. Alfalfa sprouts have a reduced effect.

Turmeric, used in India for millennia, stimulates the production of bile, thereby lowering serum cholesterol levels. It also prevents the formation of dangerous blood clots that can lead to heart attack.

Other heart-friendly herbs: astragalus, cat’s claw, kelp, kola, motherwort, myrrh, psyllium, passion flower, red pepper, saffron, skullcap, tarragon, and valerian.

Source; "Bleeding Hearts (China Bayles Series #14)" by Susan Wittig Albert

PLEASE NOTE: Many of you TFDers may know the info above, however, from my experience there are many who don't. When a malady strikes and you are diagnosed by your physician, consider 2nd & 3rd opinions.

"He that is merry of heart hath a continual feast." Proverbs 15:15
hedy Dancing

"God graced us with today....don't waste it." hedy
taurine
Posted: Wednesday, July 19, 2017 12:39:34 PM

Neurons: 42,189
Most of those herbs are known to me, with one notable exception: Hawthorn. I was suspecting that there is something wrong with the word, because I did hear about Hawthorne effect.
Interesting that amid a few other names May-tree is also used.
hedy mmm
Posted: Wednesday, July 19, 2017 12:55:27 PM

Thank you taurine for your response, I did some more research to answer your question...guess I should've said "Hawthorn Berries"...It's funny, I take the other primary 5 mentioned and not Hawthorn...thank God my heart is heathy.

Hawthorn is often called “the heart herb” for its various cardio-protective abilities. Prized for its ability to uplift and strengthen the heart both emotionally and physically, the hawthorn berry has been used for centuries as a natural remedy for all kinds of serious heart concerns. These include angina, high blood pressure, hardening of the arteries, irregular heart beat and even congestive heart failure. In fact, hawthorn has been used to treat heart disease all the way back to the first century! Fast forward to the early 1800s and doctors in the United States were using this medicinal herb for respiratory and circulatory health disorders as well.

Hawthorn fruit, leaves and flowers are all used medicinally today. Hawthorn fruit comes in the form of little red berries. Native American tribes enjoyed eating them and they also used hawthorn to treat heart troubles, as well as gastrointestinal complaints.

What makes hawthorn berries so medicinal? It appears to be their numerous flavonoids for starters. Flavonoids are potent antioxidants known to effectively decrease inflammation while boosting immune function. Eating a diet high in flavonoid-rich foods, beverages and herbs has been linked to prevention of cardiovascular and neurodegenerative diseases as well as cancer. Let’s look closer at exactly how a tiny little hawthorn berry can actually make huge improvements in many people’s health.

Hawthorn Berry Plant Origin and Chemical Components

The hawthorn bush, also called thornapple or May-tree, is a deciduous plant. It is a member of the rose family (Rosaceae) belonging to the genus Crataegus. Hawthorn can come in the form of a thorny hawthorn bush or a hawthorn tree. Most of the time, you can find hawthorn growing along the sides of sunny wooded hills. There are various species of hawthorn, many of which are found in North America.

A hawthorn plant has berries as well as flowers that bloom in May. Hawthorn flowers are red, pink or white. The petite hawthorn berries appear after the flowers have bloomed. When the hawthorn berries fully ripen, they are typically red in color, but sometimes they are black. These berries are edible. How do they taste? Most people describe hawthorn berries as a mix of sweet and sour.

The hawthorn herb is loaded with health beneficial compounds. These compounds have been shown to really boost heart health. Hawthorn’s antioxidant flavonoids improve blood flow, guard against blood vessel damage, and even help to dilate blood vessels. These flavonoids include OPCs. What are OPCs? OPC stands for oligomeric proanthocyanidins. OPCs are some of the most prevalent polyphenolic substances found in plants.

Here are just some of the many chemical compounds and nutrients found in hawthorn:
Flavonoids, including hyperoside
Quercetin
Vitexin
Rutin
Pentacyclic triterpenes
Acantolic acid
Neotegolic acid
Choline
Acetylcholine
Chlorogenic acid
Caffeic acid
Vitamin B1
Vitamin B2
Vitamin C
Calcium
Iron
Phosphorus

SOURCE: ver-batim Dr. Axe

Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Wednesday, July 19, 2017 1:56:43 PM

Neurons: 65,457
hedy mam, please let me know the Indian name for the Hawthorn herb.I am suffering from heart disease.

Me Gathering Pebbles at The Seashore.-Aj
hedy mmm
Posted: Wednesday, July 19, 2017 2:48:43 PM

Sir Ashwin Joshi,
Not knowing which language(s) you may speak, (you didn't indicate which, just 'Indian') I’ve included a few.
There are other powerful herbs for the heart, if you are interested, I will forward them.
In fact, I will post weekly “Healthy Stuff” for my TFD family.

Hawthorne Berries in
Hindi:
(Largest population 53.6%)
हॉथोर्न बेरीज - hothorn bereej

Bengali: (Population 12.9%)
বেড়াগাছবিশেষ Hawthorn

Telugu:
హౌథ్రోన్ బెర్రీస్ Hauthrōn berrīs

Marathi:
हॉथॉर्न बेरीज Hŏthŏrna bērīja

Tarnil:
ஹாவ்தோர்ன் பெர்ரி Hāvtōrṉ perri

Urdu:(Population 5.8%)
Hawthorne بیریاں

taurine
Posted: Wednesday, July 19, 2017 3:00:53 PM

Neurons: 42,189
hedy mmm
nice
Hope123
Posted: Wednesday, July 19, 2017 8:53:12 PM

Neurons: 37,857
I use several of the above herbs, just not for heart disease. I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but I have posted the following info before on TFD.

My Gastroenterologist MD who also became more of a Naturopath once told me that although he was prescribing herbs for me, that I should always remember that herbs are drugs too and make sure that I knew what I was doing, to do my homework.

Also one should know the company that makes them. Herbs and supplements are not usually government regulated.

Some herbs promote estrogen, others are not good for women if they are pregnant or breastfeeding. Herbs may interfere or potentiate drugs you are taking so always tell your doctor what you are taking that is over the counter. A naturopath will know more about herbs than an MD.

I see Hawthorne Berry in many menopausal remedies but have never taken it.

Eating fatty fish such as salmon, snacking on nuts and seeds, using olive oil for lower temperatures and avacado oil for higher temperatures in cooking, eating a Mediterranean Diet, and getting lots of exercise will help to promote a healthy heart.

Disclaimer - I am not a doctor and am not advocating any advice for anyone. One should always seek the advice of a doctor for health issues.

Ignorance, allied with power, is the most ferocious enemy justice can have. -James Baldwin, writer
hedy mmm
Posted: Wednesday, July 19, 2017 10:57:12 PM

You are absolutely on the money hope 123...I agree 100% that the best route is finding a Naturepath or Holistic MD to consult with. My husband was a Nutritionist and worked with a pharmacist, lecturing about drugs vs natural cures....

I am not a doctor, I wouldn't begin to give a remedy to one's malady. I trust that anyone interested in finding natural cure would research and consult with Holistic doctors.

Thank you for your input...I trust that in learning of natural cures that are out there, it would provoke people to read, for even the terms "farm fresh" and what 'seedless watermelons' implies, would make everyone sit up and tsake notice.

A very dear friend was diagnosed with Lupus Disease several years ago. Lupus is a serious (chronic) disease that needs constant monitoring and treatment. It can harm your organs and put your life at risk if untreated.
She was so ditraught. I didn't think that it was the right diagnosis because of the signs. I advised her that she should get a 2nd opinion and even a 3rd opinion...sure enough, it took 3 years before she was properly diagnosed with
Hashimoto Disease (lymphocytic thyroiditis) which is treatable...It was an easy misdiagnosis because they both are autoimmune disorders...somebody didn't do their homework.

She is 44, and I attended her first wedding 3 weeks ago (When she thought she had Lupus, she didn't want to be married) ...she is doing great. Had she taken the drugs for Lupus, she would probably be disabled... or dead if her thyroid had stopped functioning.

"You are what you eat"
...You didn't rain on my parade...you were a breath of sunshine!
Applause
hedy

Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Thursday, July 20, 2017 4:06:42 AM

Neurons: 65,457
Thank You very much, hedy ma'am.

Meaning of Hawthorn in Hindi

noun

नागफनी (Like the hood of a cobra)
कंटीला वृक्ष
नागफनी