The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Jersey justice Options
Daemon
Posted: Monday, July 17, 2017 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 66,081
Jersey justice

A punishment or act of justice that is or appears to be much more severe than the offence warrants. Primarily heard in UK. More...

KSPavan
Posted: Monday, July 17, 2017 3:09:13 AM

Neurons: 1,975,780
Idiom of the Day
Jersey justice — A punishment or act of justice that is or appears to be much more severe than the offence warrants. Primarily heard in UK.
thar
Posted: Monday, July 17, 2017 3:17:10 AM

Neurons: 63,570
Umm, what?

Primarily UK?
Where did they get this?

I have never heard it. There is no particular concept that Jersey has a harsh system, as far as I know - although they did have corporal punishment till recently. Or was that the Isle of Man? Hmmm. Think it was.

Anyway, Jersey brings to mind lots of rich local people, potatoes and a few European migrant workers to dig them. Not a harsh judiciary in particular. I am sure it has its own unique systems, probably closer to the old French style?
But not infamous.
Unless it was New Jersey. That sounds far more ominous - punishment Atlantic City style - cement shoes and all that. But no reason a British idiom should have anything to say about that.

Miriam-Webster has a different take. One, it's swift not savage, and two, it's NJ not CI.
Quote:

Definition of Jersey justice
: speedy and effective justice (as in criminal cases)

Origin and Etymology of jersey justice
2Jersey; from the supposedly more efficient legal system in New Jersey

Interested to know if any Brits do know this, or use it, or believe this definition! d'oh!

monamagda
Posted: Monday, July 17, 2017 7:03:36 AM

Neurons: 3,720,331
Jersey Justice
The Story of the Trenton Six

Cathy D. Knepper
Publication Year: 2011

The case of the Trenton Six attracted international attention in its time (1948–1952) and was once known as the “northern Scottsboro Boys case.” Yet, there is no memory of it. The shame of racism evident in the case has been nearly erased from the public record. Now, historian Cathy D. Knepper takes us back to the courtroom to make us aware of this shocking chapter in American history.

Jersey Justice: The Story of the Trenton Six begins in 1948 when William Horner, an elderly junk dealer, was murdered in his downtown Trenton shop. Over a two-week period, six local African American men were arrested and charged with collectively killing Horner. Violating every rule in the book, the Trenton police held the six men in incommunicado detention, without warrants, and threatened them until they confessed. At the end of the trial the all-white jury sentenced the six men to die in the electric chair.

That might have been the end of the story were it not for the tireless efforts of Bessie Mitchell, the sister of one of the accused men. Undaunted by the refusal of the NAACP and the ACLU to help appeal the conviction of the Trenton Six, Mitchell enlisted the aid of the Civil Rights Congress, ultimately taking the case as far as the New Jersey Supreme Court. Along the way, the Trenton Six garnered the attention and involvement of many prominent activists, politicians, and artists, including Paul Robeson, Thurgood Marshall, Eleanor Roosevelt, Pete Seeger, Arthur Miller, and Albert Einstein. Jersey Justice brings to light a shameful moment in our nation’s history, but it also tells the story of a personal battle for social justice that changed America.

https://muse.jhu.edu/book/17231
Debzzzzz
Posted: Monday, July 17, 2017 12:16:32 PM

Neurons: 94,975
I agree with the other posters - this term is not from the UK, especially not from the lovely island of Jersey. It is from New Jersey in the USA that has a reputation for crime and hard justice (at least in the movies).
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Wednesday, July 19, 2017 6:21:55 PM

Neurons: 4,683
If agree with Thar and Debzzzzz, I have never heard of it in the UK.

I think that Thar is also correct it was the Isle of Man that up until very recently had birching on the statute books.

The thing that most of us think of from Jersey are at this time of year Jersey Royal potatoes.

I lack the imagination for a witty signature.