What's the difference?
FounDit
Posted: Saturday, July 15, 2017 2:25:04 PM

Neurons: 43,559
Joe Kim wrote:
1. Make a way for me.
2. Make way for me.

What's the difference?

There isn't much difference at all. The first one conveys the idea of opening a pathway through a crowd, and the second conveys the idea of simply moving out of the way. That may make a pathway or it may not, but you want people to move from in front of you.

A great many people will think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices. ~ William James ~
Wilmar (USA)
Posted: Saturday, July 15, 2017 5:41:09 PM

Neurons: 140,283
I would not ever expect to hear anyone say the first sentence.
Wilmar (USA)
Posted: Saturday, July 15, 2017 5:41:09 PM

Neurons: 140,283
I would not ever expect to hear anyone say the first sentence.
Joe Kim
Posted: Saturday, July 15, 2017 7:33:38 PM

Neurons: 1,656
I see. Thank you.

Is that literally "a way or a path" with stones or carpet laid out for you?
palapaguy
Posted: Saturday, July 15, 2017 7:42:25 PM

Neurons: 6,620
FounDit wrote:
Joe Kim wrote:
1. Make a way for me.
2. Make way for me.

What's the difference?

There isn't much difference at all. The first one conveys the idea of opening a pathway through a crowd, and the second conveys the idea of simply moving out of the way. That may make a pathway or it may not, but you want people to move from in front of you.

"Make way for me." = Get out of my way.

"Make a way for me." Clear a path for me (not common).
Romany
Posted: Saturday, July 15, 2017 7:55:41 PM

Neurons: 38,384

"Make way for me" is only ever said in jest now. There's no way anyone has the right to order anyone to do so. You'd probably get a black eye if you said it to anyone!

"Make a way for me" simply has no relevance as a sentence in modern English. Again, no one has the right for a way to be made solely for them.
palapaguy
Posted: Saturday, July 15, 2017 8:55:58 PM

Neurons: 6,620
Romany wrote:

"Make way for me" is only ever said in jest now. There's no way anyone has the right to order anyone to do so. You'd probably get a black eye if you said it to anyone!

"Make a way for me" simply has no relevance as a sentence in modern English. Again, no one has the right for a way to be made solely for them.

I was jesting, then.Brick wall
Romany
Posted: Sunday, July 16, 2017 6:00:33 AM

Pretty much, nowadays.

Those are the sorts of sentences characters say in very bad Hollywood "Historical" movies!
FounDit
Posted: Sunday, July 16, 2017 10:26:17 AM

I can think of a couple of situations where the phrases might be used. One could be when emergency workers need to carry a victim through a crowd to an ambulance.

Another might be police officers/EMT's trying to get through a crowd to the victim of a shooting or stabbing. In both cases the welfare of the patient overrides polite requests.

A great many people will think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices. ~ William James ~
Romany
Posted: Monday, July 17, 2017 7:27:11 AM

FD - then we seem to have accidentally hit on another (minor) BE/AE difference.

Three years of living in this place now has made me quite the expert of police/ambulance presence and emergency situations (at times wondered if I shouldn't base a whole bloody tv script on the adventures of the past 3 years here!). I've heard "Excuse me" the most in these situations, but also "Coming through..", "Mind out, people", "Can you please clear the area?" "Stretcher coming", "Look out!" but never, ever "Make way".

Maybe it's all just part of the sensitivity Brits etc. have to being given orders. And I guess emergency workers know their people: if some of the people here were TOLD to do something by anyone there'd be a riot! And as the combatants tend to stand around still holding cricket bats, and small shivs. etc. it would be a pretty mad thing to do! Especially in view of our history.
FounDit
Posted: Monday, July 17, 2017 9:09:18 AM

Romany wrote:

FD - then we seem to have accidentally hit on another (minor) BE/AE difference.

Three years of living in this place now has made me quite the expert of police/ambulance presence and emergency situations (at times wondered if I shouldn't base a whole bloody tv script on the adventures of the past 3 years here!). I've heard "Excuse me" the most in these situations, but also "Coming through..", "Mind out, people", "Can you please clear the area?" "Stretcher coming", "Look out!" but never, ever "Make way".

Maybe it's all just part of the sensitivity Brits etc. have to being given orders. And I guess emergency workers know their people: if some of the people here were TOLD to do something by anyone there'd be a riot! And as the combatants tend to stand around still holding cricket bats, and small shivs. etc. it would be a pretty mad thing to do! Especially in view of our history.

Well, I don't know for certain that this is said in those situations. I was merely positing examples where it might be said. Under such conditions, I imagine it would sound much like your "Coming through" or "Look out!", said with a somewhat raised voice to get the attention of those blocking the way.

Romany
Posted: Tuesday, July 18, 2017 6:38:29 AM

Yeah, well, as I said, it's probably our history makes us so stubborn about being told what to do. I know some of you in America think we are 'quaint' with our constant 'Please' and 'Thank You's and 'Would you mind's? ( and "Sorry"s!! It's not unusual to hear a Brit saying "sorry" to a store mannequin if they bump it!).

Until The Enlightenment first chiefs, then Warrior Kings, then Royalty had Absolute Power over us. A situation we'll never allow again. And we try to forget it ever was like that nowadays.

(Strangely enough, writing that I realised: I would never do what a Prime Minister or a Cop or a boss or anyone TOLD me to do just because it was they who demanded it. BUT if the Queen told me to I probably would. That's because she isn't just a strong feisty old woman: she IS England.)
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Tuesday, July 18, 2017 6:49:41 AM

Neurons: 4,328
Romany wrote:

Yeah, well, as I said, it's probably our history makes us so stubborn about being told what to do. I know some of you in America think we are 'quaint' with our constant 'Please' and 'Thank You's and 'Would you mind's? ( and "Sorry"s!! It's not unusual to hear a Brit saying "sorry" to a store mannequin if they bump it!).

Until The Enlightenment first chiefs, then Warrior Kings, then Royalty had Absolute Power over us. A situation we'll never allow again. And we try to forget it ever was like that nowadays.

(Strangely enough, writing that I realised: I would never do what a Prime Minister or a Cop or a boss or anyone TOLD me to do just because it was they who demanded it. BUT if the Queen told me to I probably would. That's because she isn't just a strong feisty old woman: she IS England.)

It's a discussion I have had elsewhere with some friends from America, they have the Declaration of Independence, the Consitution and the American Flag with all the various flag codes that go with it that are widely known and respected.

I do not put my faith in any abstract symbol of Britian in the same way, burning the Union Flag is not as upsetting to me as burning the Stars and Stripes seems to be to them for example.

However insult the Queen and then my back would be up.

I lack the imagination for a witty signature.
Romany
Posted: Tuesday, July 18, 2017 7:55:23 AM

Pretty much the same. A piece of cloth - that was probably made in China anyway - burning wouldn't affect me one way or the other. As you say, it's just not a big deal. As to being laughed at because of one's countries customs - couldn't give a tuppenny damn.

But yeah, Liz has been there throughout the entire life-span of most of us Brits. And that's what's behind the people - not the Queen or the PM - being determined to keep Trump out of UK and far, far away from any contact whatsoever with the Queen, don't you think?. And why some people are so determined to prevent it that it could cause the whole country to rise up?
FounDit
Posted: Tuesday, July 18, 2017 10:49:34 AM

It's not the piece of cloth, or the paper the Declaration is written on, but the IDEAS behind them that we hold dear, as I wrote in another post.

Recall, our ancestors came from Europe and around the globe also, and the desire to never be ruled over and dominated is ingrained in us (well, at least those of us who were taught history. Not sure about some of our millennials today).

But to get back to the original idea, surely you wouldn't block an emergency medical person or police officer trying to get to a victim simply because they shouted "Make way!" at you, would you? There is a time to resist and a time to yield.

Now I'm channeling the Byrds:

♪ ♫ To everything (turn, turn, turn)
There is a season (turn, turn, turn)
And a time to every purpose, under heaven. ♪ ♫

Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Tuesday, July 18, 2017 6:14:56 PM

Neurons: 144,725
Hi FounDit - jumping in here with my tuppence-worth (or 'two-cents-worth').

No, you're right - if you see an emergency and someone is trying to get through, you move, quickly.
However, the emergency person probably wouldn't consider shouting 'Make way'.
Like Romany, I'd expect "'Scuse me", "Coming through".

There are specific ones too.
A waiter or a cook carrying something hot (and wants you out of the way so he/she can put it down before getting burned hands) shouts "Hot, hot!".
Often (I think it's originally a Navy thing) if someone is carrying a heavy load, you will hear "Man with a load" - usually from some bystander, warning other people.

"Make way" is used in writing rules and things.
The Bluejackets Manual gives the rules for living on a ship - always make way for a senior.
But senior to that, always make way for a man with a load, no matter your rank or his lack of rank.
The 'Highway Code' has rules for roundabouts - always make way for traffic coming from the right.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
FounDit
Posted: Wednesday, July 19, 2017 10:27:57 AM

Hi DragOnspeaker,

Well, you're probably right that most would say, "Excuse me" or "Coming through", but I wouldn't be offended if I heard "Make way" or "make a way" under those conditions. Anytime there is an accident, people tend to "rubber-neck" and gather around, interfering with emergency personnel sometimes, so raising one's voice and barking commands could be forgiven, and shouldn't be taken personally.

TMe
Posted: Wednesday, July 19, 2017 1:32:26 PM

Neurons: 3,004
Romany is a bit .........................?

You say...........?

I am a layman.
Romany
Posted: Wednesday, July 19, 2017 6:13:19 PM

TMe - if you have something to say to someone, then say it. We're all adults here so playing children's games gets rather tedious.

"Romany is a bit..." what, exactly, mate? Man up, and tell us what a woman you've never met, who lives somewhere you've never been, on a forum you've only just joined, IS, exactly?

We've had enough unpleasantness here to last a lifetime, and I've had just about all I can take by now. For the sake of all of us - either put up (have the courage to say what you want to say and accept the consequences) - or shut up.(For the sake of peace and harmony just keep your thoughts to yourself).

No, I am NOT insulting you, or telling you to shut up. It's an idiom meaning have the courage of your convictions or keep your dislikes to yourself.

You don't even know who I am! Neither does Almo. Nor Parsar. Nor Ashwin Joshi But the things you have said to me; the lies that have been told; the insults, and sly digs - are they never to stop? I've ignored it and ignored it - for the sake of peace and for the sake of dignity. But enough is enough.

This is an English language forum, for godssake!! I will happily discuss the meaning of nuance, innuendo, sneak tactics - can show you some of the finest insults the English language has come up with, in fact. And when they were said. And what effects those words had. And between us, Thar, McRout, NKM, Drago, and I could give you the derivation of these words, and the grammatical applications,& how often they have appeared in literature and so many others here could add to this.

Thats what we come here for. Basically we're just a bunch of boring 'ole farts who want to discuss and learn and talk about shoes and ships and ceiling wax, make silly puns and jokes; and help some people along the way.

I'm a square peg in a round hole and have been all my life. I've learned to come to terms with that - why can't you?

This level of discourse which pays no attention to the human behind the avatar is unworthy, undignified and I will no longer take this harassment shite from anybody.

Are we clear?