The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

candlelight protest in Korea Options
박세원
Posted: Friday, July 14, 2017 11:49:38 AM

Neurons: 20
I'm on a project about the candlelight protest occurred in Korea and I just want to gather some opinions from foreigners.

1. How do you think about‘candlelight protests for impeachment of South Korea’s former president Park Geun-hye’
(If yes, then why?)

2. Compared to ‘candlelight protests in South Korea’, how was your country’s people’s reaction to your country's political scandals?

3. Do you think 'candlelight protests for impeachment of South Korea’s former president Park Geun-hye’ is worthy to win Nobel Peace Prize?
almo 1
Posted: Friday, July 14, 2017 12:53:41 PM

Neurons: 2,666
박세원 wrote:
I'm on a project about the candlelight protest occurred in Korea and I just want to gather some opinions from foreigners.

1. How do you think about‘candlelight protests for impeachment of South Korea’s former president Park Geun-hye’
(If yes, then why?)

2. Compared to ‘candlelight protests in South Korea’, how was your country’s people’s reaction to your country's political scandals?

3. Do you think 'candlelight protests for impeachment of South Korea’s former president Park Geun-hye’ is worthy to win Nobel Peace Prize?

I assume that not many people know about it.

Could you explain what the Korea’s former president Park Geun-hye did to be impeached and put in jail?

progpen
Posted: Friday, July 14, 2017 3:35:03 PM

Neurons: 161,308
Park Geun-hye had cracked down on political opposition and there are allegations of corruption and extortion. Her and her political party have sued journalists, jailed labor leaders and opposition politicians, censored the press, and dissolved political parties. She is also alleged to be friends with (being under the control of) a member of a religious cult.

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. ― Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
progpen
Posted: Friday, July 14, 2017 3:44:48 PM

박세원 wrote:

I've read that protests are South Korea's "national sport", so I think candle light protests in this case are very healthy for the country.

박세원 wrote:

In the US there have been nearly continuous protests against the current administration's scandals as well as against those of the US Congress.

박세원 wrote:

I don't think a Nobel Prize can be given to an entire group of people, but I do think the protesters are showing great patriotism and pride in their country. I also think they are very brave, considering the crackdowns on opposition in the past. If the impeachment does not succeed, Park Geun-hye could be back in office this year. If that happens then I think anyone who is protesting now will be in danger.

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. ― Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Andrew Schultz
Posted: Sunday, July 16, 2017 12:29:34 PM

Neurons: 579,054
박세원 wrote:

(If yes, then why?)

1. They seem to be nonviolent and persistent. I know her approval ratings have been as low as 5%.

2. We're not very well organized here. Maybe it helps that South Korea is physically smaller than the USA. Fox News and such can still show the graphic of all the counties that voted for Trump, and people will believe 90%+ of "real America" likes him. The loudest news outlets say "Oh, it's just the cities." But the problem is, we've known about Trump well before the election.

3. I lean towards no. As progpen said, I don't think you can give it to such a large group of people, though a search shows the Organization for the Prevention of Chemical Weapons (500 people) won a few years ago.

If there is such a clear leader, or a group of leaders, they become a candidate. I don't know much about Park Geun-Hye, and while it's pretty obvious she was very corrupt, I don't think she is a danger to the outside world.

So I would be inclined to give the leaders of the Russian resistance the nod over the South Korean protestors, because they've been at it longer, some even since Putin was in power. I understand South Korea's freedom of the press is much better than Russia's, but there still may be people jailed illegally, etc. Also, Poland and Turkey's protestors' causes seem even more urgent than South Korea's.

That said, these people are doing something very important. South Korea has made huge strides as a democracy within the last 40 years, and I hope people keep these changes through the rough times. Even without scandal we can't sit back and guess our democracy is good enough. I think we did that in the USA.

I particularly enjoy the idiom section of this fine website.
TheParser
Posted: Monday, July 17, 2017 7:00:05 AM

Neurons: 20,143
박세원 wrote:

Here in the United States, the opposition political party has refused to accept the results of the November 8, 2016, presidential election.

Led by most of the American media (especially The New York Times), the opposition party is trying to stage a coup d'état to overthrow the current president.
They are doing this by having their allies in the bureaucracy leak information, planting fake news in the media, silencing opinions at the university, staging (often violent) daily demonstrations, and labeling supporters of the current president as racists, xenophobes, etc.

Sadly, the United States is no longer a model democracy for other countries to emulate.

Best wishes to the South Korean people. And congratulations on the peaceful and mature manner in which the South Korean demonstrators have conducted themselves.

Romany
Posted: Monday, July 17, 2017 8:19:04 AM

Neurons: 36,977

1.The elections were over 6 months ago. Who in the world gives a tuppenny damn about them? Let alone wants to be reminded of them. The elections happened. What people are objecting to is not past behaviour but present. It's no longer a political thing but an ethical and moral one: and people on both sides - not just "the opposition political party" are concerned about these questions. Whatever one's politics might be, ethical and moral considerations are far more important than some over-trumpeted, disgustingly money-wasting, and, now, far away foreign election.

2, Research the actual meaning of 'coup d'etat'. Then come back and tell us exactly who it is that is planning one. It'll hit headlines all over the world.

3. The President's staff have been hand-picked BECAUSE they are as racist, xenophobic, war-mongering and uncouth as their supposed leader. That has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with Press anywhere. This comes from the emails, statements, full page ads. meetings, tweets, direct from the White House which the President's Admin themselves send out all over the world.

4. Since only those with obscene wealth can run for President; since elections don't rely on people's votes but on those of a small group of men in the Senate; since Trump has trumpeted the news that between 2 to million 'false' votes are able to be counted in to the total; since women are being more and more marginalised (ridiculous 'dress codes' now not only in the White House, but in sport!) and are being denied autonomy; and since bribery and corruption are regarded as 'normal' and 'what anyone would do' (Trump Jnrs latest caper), then it would be interesting to know just WHEN the rest of the world looked upon America as the "model" democracy?

5. The American Kerfuffle is currently one which no-one needs to inform anyone about. We're all adults and are constantly bombarded with updates. But, if one is still determined to try to defend the indefensible, normalise the unforgivable, ignore the Law, and allow lies to distort truth, go for it.

Just don't pretend you are a victim: if you throw the cat among the pigeons deliberately once again, remember that anyone, anywhere, needs only to look at the President's tweets, to see the the value or truth of what you are saying. It's too damn late to try to continue this nonsense. Patriotic, true Americans everywhere are doing their best to try to regain some dignity in the world - surely it does one's beloved native land more of a service to stand tall and resist the rapid slide of the country into derision - than to continue to add to it, at this stage.

AND FORGET ABOUT THE BLOODY ELECTIONS. Flogging dead horses when there are so many live ones to contend with is counter-productive. See what you can do for your country - telling porkies to Koreans isn't doing anything to help the ailing USA.
almo 1
Posted: Monday, July 17, 2017 11:38:10 AM

philips daughter
Posted: Wednesday, July 19, 2017 9:08:30 AM

Neurons: 18,326
We in the US have had a history of protest from the Boston Tea Party to present day protesters. However, this is going to rapidly come to an end if GOP led states are able to pass legislation that would increase punishment for blocking roads up to and including seizure of personal property. Scary as that is North Dakota is considering a law that would indemnify running over a protester who was blocking a road. In North Dakota a woman lost her arm during a pipeline protest and she has no legal recourse. Check it out yourself if you love your freedom of speech because it is going away. I'd say it makes me sick but I can't afford it. (Sorry, that's a knock off joke.)
progpen
Posted: Saturday, July 22, 2017 6:20:58 PM

philips daughter wrote:
We in the US have had a history of protest from the Boston Tea Party to present day protesters. However, this is going to rapidly come to an end if GOP led states are able to pass legislation that would increase punishment for blocking roads up to and including seizure of personal property. Scary as that is North Dakota is considering a law that would indemnify running over a protester who was blocking a road. In North Dakota a woman lost her arm during a pipeline protest and she has no legal recourse. Check it out yourself if you love your freedom of speech because it is going away. I'd say it makes me sick but I can't afford it. (Sorry, that's a knock off joke.)

Thank you for bringing this up as the proposed legislation you mentioned is some of the most Anti-American garbage I've seen.

Hope123
Posted: Saturday, July 22, 2017 8:30:01 PM

Neurons: 37,009
I don't know much about South Korea but certainly hope it remains fighting for democracy and that candlelight protests as a peace method works! Maybe there should be another peace prize for countries or large groups. Good luck with your project.

I wish I could read your nom de plume so I could welcome you properly to the forum. 😀

What do Canadians do? Well I guess there are minor peaceful protests sometimes in the larger cities but usually we write letters to the government and then at election time toss the bums out. Our media kept after Rob Ford, Toronto's mayor, or our courts look after it - a northern city mayor was just charged with extortion.

Edited - oh yeah, the Indigenous erected a teepee on Parliament Hill for Canada Day 150, the Prime Minister went and sat in it, and talked them into moving it to a better location where it stayed. There have been no recent Indigenous blockades which used to happen and which were usually settled peaceably. There are Pride Parades and the PM marches in them. When Black Lives Matter stopped the parade and demanded the police not march, the Toronto police marched in the New York Parade the next year. I think it was wrong for the BLM to control who marches where. There were anarchists who came to stir up trouble in Toronto at the G20. I vaguely recall a few years ago some sit-in in a park in Toronto - forget why.

Romany,

Related - You may not have connected the dots to label the above beliefs by many Trump supporters as such, but it is actually a conspiracy theory. I'm sure you know that once someone believes a conspiracy theory, dissuading him or her of it is impossible. That’s because belief in a conspiracy is not based on facts and logic and pointing out the lack of evidence for a conspiracy theory reinforces the belief that the evidence for it was suppressed.

Twelve million Americans believe that their government is run by aliens - not making this up. In a polling survey 12 million Americans believe that interstellar lizards in people suits rule their country.

So believing that there is a conspiracy against the president by the media because the media tries to hold the government accountable for its actions as is the media's job, is nothing in comparison to the alien conspiracy theory so many believe. I have noticed for years that various conspiracy theories seem to be in great number in the US. Edited - I don't know if the numbers are higher there than in other countries - it was just anecdotal observations. But now that they have a leader who believes in them, perhaps that will encourage it more.

I'm Dancing as Fast as I Can.
almo 1
Posted: Saturday, July 22, 2017 9:33:57 PM

nytimes.com/2017/06/28/world/asia/North Korea Calls for Execution of South Korean Ex-President

SEOUL, South Korea — North Korea issued standing orders on Wednesday for the “miserable dog’s death” execution of South Korea’s imprisoned former president and her spy chief, and improbably demanded that its southern adversary extradite them.

A protester wearing a mask of South Korea's President Park Geun-Hye sits in a mock prison during a rally calling for Park's immediate removal

US ambassador Mark Lippert slashed by Korean activist.

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2980097

Tale of two patterns

"A new twist is that he might not even make it to the end, because we have in Korea discovered a new weapon ― impeachment. Normally, a leader is impeached for treason, gross corruption or some such crime. In Korea, though, the risk after the Park Geun-hye case is that it will be used as a way to unseat someone for the crime of no longer enjoying full popular support. "