The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

laboratory experiment preparation Options
Carmenex
Posted: Tuesday, July 04, 2017 5:43:27 PM

Neurons: 4,619
Hi, I would please ask you if the expressions in bold are correct in the following (it is a bullet list):
• developed (and honed do you need?) significant skills in laboratory experiment preparation and execution and in experimental data processing and statistical analysis
(involved in a team project for)/(part of (or assigned to) a team working on a project for) producing silicon semiconductors and lithium niobate crystals by using the Czochralski process, and (for?) investigating their respective physical and optical properties and (their, do you need?) composition
FounDit
Posted: Wednesday, July 05, 2017 10:22:14 AM

Neurons: 43,546
Carmenex wrote:
Hi, I would please ask you if the expressions in bold are correct in the following (it is a bullet list):
• developed (and honed do you need?) significant skills in laboratory experiment preparation and execution and in experimental data processing and statistical analysis
(involved in a team project for)/(part of (or assigned to) a team working on a project for) producing silicon semiconductors and lithium niobate crystals by using the Czochralski process, and (for?) investigating their respective physical and optical properties and (their, do you need?) composition

I suggest:

developed and honed significant skills in laboratory experiment preparation and execution, and in experimental data processing and statistical analysis
member of a team that worked on a project for producing silicon semiconductors and lithium niobate crystals using the Czochralski process, and which investigated their respective physical and optical properties and composition.

A great many people will think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices. ~ William James ~
Carmenex
Posted: Wednesday, July 05, 2017 11:36:30 AM

FounDit wrote:
Carmenex wrote:

I suggest:

developed and honed significant skills in laboratory experiment preparation and execution, and in experimental data processing and statistical analysis
member of a team that worked on a project for producing silicon semiconductors and lithium niobate crystals using the Czochralski process, and which investigated their respective physical and optical properties and composition.

Hi FounDit, and thank your for your advice.
Do you need plural in ... laboratory experiments preparation and execution?
With regard to the second bullet point, since the team was looking into the production of semiconductors/how they are produced, do you think that your suggested modification fits the purpose, or would you make any changes?
FounDit
Posted: Thursday, July 06, 2017 10:04:23 AM

Carmenex wrote:
FounDit wrote:
Carmenex wrote:

I suggest:

No, I don't think so. It sounds wrong to me. As you have written it, the skills developed were for the preparation and execution of each experiment, which would likely be unique, and therefore singular.

With regard to the second bullet point, since the team was looking into the production of semiconductors/how they are produced, do you think that your suggested modification fits the purpose, or would you make any changes?
No, I wouldn't make any changes on that basis. It was the team doing the work, but the individual you are speaking of was a member of that team.

A great many people will think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices. ~ William James ~
Carmenex
Posted: Sunday, July 09, 2017 10:23:10 AM

FounDit wrote:
Carmenex wrote:
FounDit wrote:
Carmenex wrote:

I suggest:

No, I don't think so. It sounds wrong to me. As you have written it, the skills developed were for the preparation and execution of each experiment, which would likely be unique, and therefore singular.

No, I wouldn't make any changes on that basis. It was the team doing the work, but the individual you are speaking of was a member of that team.

Hi FounDit, and thank you for your advice. In your opinion, are the parts in bold correct in the following (it is part of a bullet list):

• engaged in defining non-destructive testing (NDT) to evaluate corrosion resistance (properties, do you need?) (of, do you need?)? and detect defects in structures and pipelines
• (engaged in, a synonym?) the optimization of the production process of, and coating techniques for, metallic and composite materials, and in the characterization of their(?) mechanical properties (hardness, tensile strength, etc.), physical properties (electrical resistivity, thermal conductivity, etc.), and tribological properties
FounDit
Posted: Sunday, July 09, 2017 10:48:19 AM

Carmenex wrote:
FounDit wrote:
Carmenex wrote:
FounDit wrote:
Carmenex wrote:

I suggest:

Hi FounDit, and thank you for your advice. In your opinion, are the parts in bold correct in the following (it is part of a bullet list):

• engaged in defining non-destructive testing (NDT) to evaluate corrosion resistance (properties, do you need?) (of, do you need?)? and detect defects in structures and pipelines
• (engaged in, a synonym?) the optimization of the production process of, and coating techniques for, metallic and composite materials, and in the characterization of their(?) mechanical properties (hardness, tensile strength, etc.), physical properties (electrical resistivity, thermal conductivity, etc.), and tribological properties

I see no problem with any of those words in bold. It reads fine to me.

Carmenex
Posted: Sunday, July 09, 2017 2:47:57 PM

• engaged in defining non-destructive testing (NDT) to evaluate corrosion resistance properties of, and detect defects of, structures and pipelines

Thank you, FounDit. And, I would like to ask you if properties and of could be omitted in the fist bullet list, and a possible synonym for engaged in in the second?
FounDit
Posted: Sunday, July 09, 2017 9:02:24 PM

Carmenex wrote:

• engaged in defining non-destructive testing (NDT) to evaluate corrosion resistance properties of, and detect defects of, structures and pipelines

Thank you, FounDit. And, I would like to ask you if properties and of could be omitted in the fist bullet list, and a possible synonym for engaged in in the second?

I don't think omitting "properties of" changes the meaning in any significant way.

For the second bullet point, I think "Involved in" would be a good synonym. You might also say, "Worked on optimizing the production process..."

Carmenex
Posted: Saturday, July 15, 2017 8:32:44 AM

FounDit wrote:
Carmenex wrote:

I don't think omitting "properties of" changes the meaning in any significant way.

For the second bullet point, I think "Involved in" would be a good synonym. You might also say, "Worked on optimizing the production process..."

Hi FounDit, and thank you for your advice. I would please ask you which of the options in bold is the most appropriate in the following:
Andrea earned his Diploma (equivalent to A levels plus GCSEs), conferred by the Liceo XY, Paris, with the/a final grade of x out of y. He studied these/(the following) subjects/The subjects taken/studied included: Mathematics, English, Art and Chemistry.
FounDit
Posted: Saturday, July 15, 2017 1:42:48 PM

Carmenex wrote:
FounDit wrote:
Carmenex wrote:

Hi FounDit, and thank you for your advice. I would please ask you which of the options in bold is the most appropriate in the following:
Andrea earned his Diploma (equivalent to A levels plus GCSEs), conferred by the Liceo XY, Paris, with a final grade of x out of y. He studied these/(the following) subjects/The subjects taken/studied included: Mathematics, English, Art and Chemistry.

I would choose "a" in the first choice, and for the second, a couple of them could work:
"He studied these subjects..."
"He studied Mathematics, English..."
"The subjects he studied included..."

It's a matter of personal word choice which one you choose. I don't think any of them have an effect on the meaning.

Carmenex
Posted: Saturday, July 15, 2017 5:23:27 PM

FounDit wrote:
Carmenex wrote:
FounDit wrote:
Carmenex wrote:

Andrea earned his Diploma (equivalent to A levels plus GCSEs), conferred by the Liceo XY, Paris, with a final grade of x out of y. He studied these/(the following) subjects/The subjects taken/studied included: Mathematics, English, Art and Chemistry.

I would choose "a" in the first choice, and for the second, a couple of them could work:
"He studied these subjects..."
"He studied Mathematics, English..."
"The subjects he studied included..."

It's a matter of personal word choice which one you choose. I don't think any of them have an effect on the meaning.

Thank you, FounDit. And, would you need a colon after these subjects and included, as follows:
"He studied these subjects: Mathematics, English,..."
"The subjects he studied included: Mathematics, English,..."
Carmenex
Posted: Sunday, July 16, 2017 9:24:38 AM

Carmenex wrote:
FounDit wrote:
Carmenex wrote:

Andrea earned his Diploma (equivalent to A levels plus GCSEs), conferred by the Liceo XY, Paris, with the/a final grade of x out of y. He studied these/(the following) subjects/The subjects taken/studied included: Mathematics, English, Art and Chemistry.

Thank you, FounDit. Could the verb take be used in place of study?
And, would you need a colon after these subjects and included, as follows:
FounDit
Posted: Sunday, July 16, 2017 10:19:44 AM

Carmenex wrote:
Carmenex wrote:
FounDit wrote:
Carmenex wrote:

Thank you, FounDit. Could the verb take be used in place of study?
It would sound a bit strange to me. We normally "take" courses or classes, but "study" subjects in AmE.

And, would you need a colon after these subjects and included, as follows:
Yes, I would expect to see a colon when making a list such as this in the first case, but in the second, it may be omitted or not. I think the wording would allow it to would work either way.