The ground has lots of puddle.

"Don't step the water." I told him.

Does it sound natural?
I was asking him to avoid the puddle.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Saturday, July 15, 2017 11:41:38 PM

Neurons: 149,104
Hello!

"Step" is an intransitive verb. You don't 'step something'.

There has to be a preposition if you want to add a description of the 'stepping'.

"Don't step in the water."
"Don't step in the puddles."

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
mactoria
Posted: Sunday, July 16, 2017 1:20:27 AM

Neurons: 941,502
DragOnspeaker: You're correct about the use of "step" in this and 99% of uses. However, at least in the US, sailors (as in those who use boats with sails, not navies as far as I know) say "step the mast," a procedure when one raises up the ship's mast from a vertical/storage position up to its functional position to hold a sail. Don't know the derivation, just know that's what we say.
mactoria
Posted: Sunday, July 16, 2017 8:44:00 AM

Neurons: 941,502
mactoria wrote:
DragOnspeaker: You're correct about the use of "step" in this and 99% of uses. However, at least in the US, sailors (as in those who use boats with sails, not navies as far as I know) say "step the mast," a procedure when one raises up the ship's mast from a vertical/storage position up to its functional position to hold a sail. Don't know the derivation, just know that's what we say.

Caught my mistake: meant to write "raises up the ship's mast from a horizontal/storage position" not "vertical." When a sailboat is stored in dry dock or trailered down a road with overpasses too low for the upright mast to fit under, you have to remove the mast from it's bolted holder, lay it down usually across the deck, lash it down, etc. Then when you need to put the mast up so it can be fitted with a sail and boom for sailing, you have carefully move it step by step to raise it up to vertical, put it in its holder on the deck and fasten it down...."stepping the mast." Obscure to all but people who sail boats I suppose.

Again, DragOn's absolutely correct for 99% of all usages for "step," that it requires a preposition, as in your example.
bihunsedap
Posted: Sunday, July 16, 2017 9:54:46 AM

Neurons: 5,821
Thanks all.