The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

soak/suds Options
nani_n
Posted: Wednesday, July 12, 2017 3:25:51 AM
Rank: Newbie

Joined: 6/3/2016
Posts: 31
Neurons: 182
hi every one,

We bought some shields for our usage but unfortunately we can't use it because this shield is small for our application.
We use this shield to cover wire. It means that we enter wire into shield.



but we should use that shield because we have no stock for it so we make a liquid consist of water and soap then put that shield in it for 1 hour then this shield becomes smooth so we can enter wire.

I want to write a sentence to describe this situation.

First we soak shield in suds and then enter enameled wire hardly (and after that)/(hence) we can't draw wire out

Is this sentence correct and apprehensible?
FounDit
Posted: Wednesday, July 12, 2017 10:53:51 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/19/2011
Posts: 8,154
Neurons: 43,543
nani_n wrote:
hi every one,

We bought some shields for our usage but unfortunately we can't use it because this shield is small for our application.
We use this shield to cover wire. It means that we enter wire into shield.

but we should use that shield because we have no stock for it so we make a liquid consist of water and soap then put that shield in it for 1 hour then this shield becomes smooth so we can enter wire.

I want to write a sentence to describe this situation.

First we soak shield in suds and then enter enameled wire hardly (and after that)/(hence) we can't draw wire out

Is this sentence correct and apprehensible?


I think I understand what you mean. If I have it right I would say:

"First we soak the shields in soapy water, then insert the enameled wires with some difficulty. After drying, the wire can't be removed."


A great many people will think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices. ~ William James ~
TMe
Posted: Wednesday, July 12, 2017 12:47:46 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 1/12/2017
Posts: 361
Neurons: 2,307
Something, Some thing I could understand and that is :
You make it friction-less so that it is easily inserted.

The soapy solutions (suds) fills the the friction-causing spots so it becomes easier to insert.

https://youtu.be/NPnvo4NHrVE

I am a layman.
FounDit
Posted: Wednesday, July 12, 2017 3:41:50 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/19/2011
Posts: 8,154
Neurons: 43,543
TMe wrote:
Something, Some thing I could understand and that is :
You make it friction-less so that it is easily inserted.

The soapy solutions (suds) fills the the friction-causing spots so it becomes easier to insert.

https://youtu.be/NPnvo4NHrVE


You may be right. I debated over the meaning of that word "hardly", but finally decided that if the tubes were too small, even with lubrication from soap, they might still be tight.

I guess we'll have to wait for nani_n to tell us what was meant and if we came close to understanding.


A great many people will think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices. ~ William James ~
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Thursday, July 13, 2017 3:29:21 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/12/2011
Posts: 26,242
Neurons: 139,838
Location: Livingston, Scotland, United Kingdom
My understanding was exactly as FounDit saw it.

It's very difficult translating using a translating dictionary . . . but the picture made it clear!

We bought some shields for our usage but unfortunately we can't use it because this shield is small for our application.
We use this shield to cover wire. It means that we enter wire into shield. But we should use that shield because we have no stock for it so we make a liquid consist of water and soap then put that shield in it for 1 hour then this shield becomes smooth so we can enter wire.

We bought some insulation tubing but unfortunately we can't use it because it is small for our application.
We insert bare wires into the tubes to insulate them.
(I'm not sure about the 'no stock for', so I'm guessing on that point.) But we need to use up because we have no other use for it, so we make a liquid consisting of water and soap then put the insulation in it for 1 hour then it becomes smooth so we can insert the wire.

FounDit wrote:
"First we soak the shields in soapy water, then insert the enameled wires with some difficulty. After drying, the wire can't be removed."


Next time, you need heat-shrink insulation tubing.
It seems too big - the wires can be easily inserted - but then you heat it slightly with a 'hair-dryer' and it shrinks to fit the wires.



Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
nani_n
Posted: Saturday, July 15, 2017 12:56:59 AM
Rank: Newbie

Joined: 6/3/2016
Posts: 31
Neurons: 182
Thank you for replies.
Sorry for my delay.

The meaning is what FounDit found. Thank you.

Drag0nspeaker:

no stock for good shield: I want to say we don't have good shields in our company, as a result we should use these bad shields to avoid stopping production line so I think "But we need to use up because we have no other use for it" is not what I need in this sentence.
Furthermore, we use this shield in transformers and we have to use this kind of sleeves instead of heat-shrink insulation tubing due to their isolation voltage.

thank you very much for your reply.

P.S: what is the meaning of below sentence which you write:
It's very difficult translating using a translating dictionary
It means that it is difficult for you to understand ( because it is not writing in good way?)

:)
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Saturday, July 15, 2017 8:17:18 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/12/2011
Posts: 26,242
Neurons: 139,838
Location: Livingston, Scotland, United Kingdom
nani_n wrote:
P.S: what is the meaning of below sentence which you write:
It's very difficult translating using a translating dictionary
It means that it is difficult for you to understand ( because it is not writing in good way?)

:)

No - I was commenting that it must be difficult for you.
If you do not know the correct term, you use a "translating dictionary" - but they usually do not explain technical ideas very well.

It was a very good idea to use the picture.


Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
nani_n
Posted: Saturday, July 15, 2017 11:49:11 PM
Rank: Newbie

Joined: 6/3/2016
Posts: 31
Neurons: 182
got it.
Thank you
Users browsing this topic
Guest


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2017 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.