The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

word for physiological processes throughout the year Options
Hanna765
Posted: Friday, July 14, 2017 11:32:51 PM
Rank: Newbie

Joined: 7/14/2017
Posts: 6
Neurons: 40
Hi guys,

I came across a word a little while ago. I didn't know exactly what it meant, so I looked it up. It means the physiological processes of something throughout the year (or something to that effect). Now I have to do a presentation and am including a picture showing the processes of a tree in a year (when it is flowering, setting fruit, growing, etc) and would like to have this word as the title. But for the life of me, I can't remember it! Haven't had any luck trying to find it on the internet either. Does anyone know by any chance? I'd be forever grateful!

Thanks!
FounDit
Posted: Friday, July 14, 2017 11:47:39 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/19/2011
Posts: 8,130
Neurons: 43,369
Hanna765 wrote:
Hi guys,

I came across a word a little while ago. I didn't know exactly what it meant, so I looked it up. It means the physiological processes of something throughout the year (or something to that effect). Now I have to do a presentation and am including a picture showing the processes of a tree in a year (when it is flowering, setting fruit, growing, etc) and would like to have this word as the title. But for the life of me, I can't remember it! Haven't had any luck trying to find it on the internet either. Does anyone know by any chance? I'd be forever grateful!

Thanks!


Perhaps a bit more information. Do you mean the changes in one year for a human, an animal, or a plant? Or is the word one that would apply to all of these? It might also help if you could recall where you came across the word.

A great many people will think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices. ~ William James ~
Hanna765
Posted: Saturday, July 15, 2017 12:29:44 AM
Rank: Newbie

Joined: 7/14/2017
Posts: 6
Neurons: 40
There's not really much more that I know. It was mentioned to me by someone, so knowing the source isn't very helpful. And in my case it concerned plants. And I wouldn't necessarily describe it as the changes in a year (as in a kid grew 5cm or something like that), more the developments that happen throughout the year. E.g. flowering in spring, fruiting in summer, dormancy in winter. If I interpreted the definition correctly, it regarded any organism, be it animal or plant. But I could be wrong.
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Saturday, July 15, 2017 3:37:17 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/30/2016
Posts: 559
Neurons: 3,612
Location: Luton, England, United Kingdom
Are you using a series of photographs taken at various points of the plants growth cycle put together into a montage?
Then that could be described as using time-lapse photography. You can also use the term "time-lapse" for video as well.
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/time-lapse
Quote:
using, or being a technique that photographs a naturally slow process, such as plant growth, on movie film at intervals, so that continuous projection of the frames gives an accelerated view of the proce


I lack the imagination for a witty signature.
Romany
Posted: Saturday, July 15, 2017 3:58:28 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 6/14/2009
Posts: 12,147
Neurons: 36,928
Location: Brighton, England, United Kingdom

It wouldn't by any chance be the compound "life-cycle" would it?
Hanna765
Posted: Saturday, July 15, 2017 4:13:25 AM
Rank: Newbie

Joined: 7/14/2017
Posts: 6
Neurons: 40
No, its neither one of those, unfortunately. It is a scientific term. I had a feeling it started with physio-, but thats probably just my imagination. Yes, I know, I'm very difficult... Anxious
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Saturday, July 15, 2017 4:47:26 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/30/2016
Posts: 559
Neurons: 3,612
Location: Luton, England, United Kingdom
I think perhaps you are thinking of 'Physiology"

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/physiology

Quote:

1. The biological study of the functions of living organisms and their parts.
2. All the functions of a living organism or any of its parts.


I lack the imagination for a witty signature.
Hanna765
Posted: Saturday, July 15, 2017 7:30:16 AM
Rank: Newbie

Joined: 7/14/2017
Posts: 6
Neurons: 40
I am quite familiar with the word physiology (I even used it in my title!), so no, thats unfortunately not it either. I am starting to think this word doesn't even exist and it was all a dream...
mactoria
Posted: Saturday, July 15, 2017 9:12:13 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 8/13/2014
Posts: 436
Neurons: 816,126
Location: Stockton, California, United States
Hanna: Okay, you caught my interest with this question. I googled a number of words and phrases and the only thing that I thought comes close to what it appears you were describing is the word "seasonality." Not a common term I think, but it seems to mean the movement of something (human, tree, nature, etc.) through a regular cycle of life. Maybe?
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Saturday, July 15, 2017 9:25:45 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/30/2016
Posts: 559
Neurons: 3,612
Location: Luton, England, United Kingdom
Hanna765 wrote:
I am quite familiar with the word physiology (I even used it in my title!), so no, thats unfortunately not it either. I am starting to think this word doesn't even exist and it was all a dream...

Well I should have realised that it is in the title.

Possibly " Periodicity " might fit the something that has the character or quality of being periodic, of occurring at regularl intervals.

I lack the imagination for a witty signature.
FounDit
Posted: Saturday, July 15, 2017 1:54:58 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/19/2011
Posts: 8,130
Neurons: 43,369
Hanna765 wrote:
There's not really much more that I know. It was mentioned to me by someone, so knowing the source isn't very helpful. And in my case it concerned plants. And I wouldn't necessarily describe it as the changes in a year (as in a kid grew 5cm or something like that), more the developments that happen throughout the year. E.g. flowering in spring, fruiting in summer, dormancy in winter. If I interpreted the definition correctly, it regarded any organism, be it animal or plant. But I could be wrong.


I'm not sure if it's what you're looking for, but the description you just gave of "flowering in spring, fruiting in summer, dormancy in winter" is typical of plants known as "Annuals".

A great many people will think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices. ~ William James ~
Hanna765
Posted: Saturday, July 15, 2017 6:54:21 PM
Rank: Newbie

Joined: 7/14/2017
Posts: 6
Neurons: 40
You are all gonna want to hang me right now, but I just realised that I wrote the word down after all (I must be smarter than I knew!).

Phenology

1. The scientific study of periodic biological phenomena, such as flowering, breeding, and migration, in relation to climatic conditions.
2. The timing of a periodic biological phenomenon in relation to climatic conditions.

I am so relieved! I was starting to think I must be suffering from delusions...

Thank you all very much :)
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Saturday, July 15, 2017 7:36:42 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/12/2011
Posts: 26,242
Neurons: 139,836
Location: Livingston, Scotland, United Kingdom
I'm glad you found it!

I could only come up with 'annual cyclic ___' - I'd never heard of phenology before.

But it's not only annual (though I guess it often is). For example the algal blooms following El Niño climate events are only very noticeable every four to six years.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
Romany
Posted: Saturday, July 15, 2017 7:48:45 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 6/14/2009
Posts: 12,147
Neurons: 36,928
Location: Brighton, England, United Kingdom

I'm not at all familiar with this term either - if fact I first read it at "phrenology"!!

But it's a very handy word to have in one's lexicon, so thanks Hanna.I shan't forget this one now.
Hanna765
Posted: Saturday, July 15, 2017 9:49:27 PM
Rank: Newbie

Joined: 7/14/2017
Posts: 6
Neurons: 40
Romany wrote:

I'm not at all familiar with this term either - if fact I first read it at "phrenology"!!

But it's a very handy word to have in one's lexicon, so thanks Hanna.I shan't forget this one now.


Yes, thats the advantage of me making a big fuss about it... I will very likely remember this word from now on.
Users browsing this topic
Guest


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2017 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.