The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Do You Know why Women Menstruate?#38 Options
Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Thursday, July 13, 2017 12:21:41 PM

Neurons: 67,018
Young women menstruate every 28 days, normally. Any reason?

Me Gathering Pebbles at The Seashore.-Aj
Romany
Posted: Thursday, July 13, 2017 1:27:59 PM

Neurons: 40,721

Are you being real?

You asked: - "Any reason???"

Do you think we just do it 'cos it seems like fun?

Ashwin - are you a schoolboy? If so, we'll gladly talk about it, as I know that even though education programmes on menstrual concerns are gradually being introduced for girls, very few boys get the same input.

If you're an adult then why not look it up on-line - there are videos, cartoons, science films, books ....a huge amount of stuff on-line. Then having learnt the basics, if there is anything that puzzles and/or concerns you, ask about that specifically.

Unfortunately the way your question was worded hit a nerve with me, I must admit. "Any reason?" just makes it sound as though for millions of years women's bodies have been working the way they do on a mere whim. And that we could stop doing it if we really triedSick

I do understand that you might have said it in that casual way if you were embarrassed about asking and trying to be cool about it. But if you are just pranking, please don't.
Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Thursday, July 13, 2017 1:33:39 PM

Easy, easy Rom. What a mind-set? I never expected your reaction at' Knowledge and Culture' section.

Its 11.15 Pm in India I was about to leave this forum , but your misunderstanding stunned me.I will miss my sleep tonight.

So close-minded? I am sorry. I have to say this.

My mom, sisters, nieces also do.

I am asking the scientific reason.. No malice.

Y111
Posted: Thursday, July 13, 2017 1:45:08 PM

Neurons: 628
The 28 day period must be due to the Moon, as far as I understand. It takes about that time to circle the Earth. It's a bit strange. Why should these two things be connected?
Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Thursday, July 13, 2017 1:51:01 PM

The answer by Y111 is an example of far better understanding.

Wilmar (USA)
Posted: Thursday, July 13, 2017 2:35:17 PM

Neurons: 196,127
Romany, you know how he is. It is best not to engage with him -- he's only trying to stir things up. I don't know how old this individual is, but he has the mindset of a trouble-making 12-year-old.
Romany
Posted: Thursday, July 13, 2017 2:38:07 PM

OK then, it seems as though Y111 doesn't know too much about it, either. Seriously, guys, take my advice and look it up. All you have to do is type in "menstruation" into Google, and you'll get all the information you want. Since Indian women have been coming into this field the Indian sites are brilliant.

I would sincerely like both of you to go check out the whole subject - because the role of many men around the world has been to despise and punish women for the 'sin' or 'disgusting thing' of menstruation. And in rural populations in parts of India if a woman's husband does not allow her to buy sanitary napkins she must spend 1 week out of every four in a separate hut bleeding into a hole in the ground!

Ashwin, I don't understand your admonition to 'easy', nor where 'malice' comes into the discussion? I asked you a couple of questions to see if you were pulling our legs: - people have done that sort of thing before here. That's all.

That is because in the West generally, these things are known about from childhood or from the first time a boy has a relationship with a girl. So I wasn't thinking East but West. (I ran a course each Semester for my students on Sex Ed. in China and related things. And they ranged from Ist Year undergrads to post-grads so the age-range was, in Western terms, very unusual too.)

But better late than never, I think.

Y111 - it was once thought definitely that the moon 'ruled' a woman's menstrual cycle (Yes, Ashwin, it isn't just young women. Though it varies in different cultures, women menstruate well into their 40s and 50s). Now there is not so much certainty. A woman in the far-distant past would only know how to tell when her period was due by noting that when the moon is on the wane, or is full, etc. that's when to expect it. Because, remember there were menstruating women long before there were calendars or clocks or even words! So whether females evolved like this over millennia or whether the moon exerts a force we don't understand yet. Many people expect it to be the moon because it provides the tides - and because our bodies contain a lot of water.

But as yet no definitive answer has been found. (Though I have no doubt millions of people everywhere will have 'proof' for either case).
Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Thursday, July 13, 2017 2:49:07 PM

I want to know the physical and scientific reasons and why it doesn't happen in animals and other female species. You have taken it it in a different sense.

Romany
Posted: Thursday, July 13, 2017 3:03:08 PM

Ashwin - what other sense would I possibly take it from? I don't get you, mate? Have you actually read a single thing I've written?

And it DOES happen in " animals and other female species ".

Geez! THATS why I keep saying, "go look it up". That way you will find out every single thing you could possibly want to know.

Wilmar - Have to admit I'm pretty stymied this time. I don't understand why he keeps saying I don't understand; or in what way I have taken a different track? I'm beginning to to doubt his reasons for posting, I do admit.
Wilmar (USA)
Posted: Thursday, July 13, 2017 4:07:04 PM

Neurons: 196,127
Romany, he isn't interested in anything other than "yanking your chain". The "topic" of this thread is just a ploy to stir his usual crap.
jacobusmaximus
Posted: Thursday, July 13, 2017 4:55:54 PM

Neurons: 348,326
Wilmar (USA) wrote:
Romany, he isn't interested in anything other than "yanking your chain". The "topic" of this thread is just a ploy to stir his usual crap.

Yes - sounds like AJ is playing the daft laddie.

I remember, therefore I am.
taurine
Posted: Thursday, July 13, 2017 6:09:34 PM

Neurons: 54,778
I am in the state of shock.
Romany (I keep her in my deepest respect on account of her well-balanced and thought-over opinions), and other women as well should not be exposed to such a reckless treatment. Women deserve care and caution while dealing with them. But this is beyond my perception. There is a time for frivolity and a time for seriousness.

So, Ashwin Joshi, what is your alibi? And please keep it in your mind that Aliunde is a term applicable to the administrative law. You are allegedly tax practitioner.
I highly value opinions issued by the Romany. Very, very high. And I don't like when a woman is offended in this way. Ye, men.
leonAzul
Posted: Thursday, July 13, 2017 8:59:29 PM

Neurons: 25,817
Ashwin Joshi wrote:
I want to know the physical and scientific reasons and why it doesn't happen in animals and other female species. You have taken it it in a different sense.

Your ignorance is gobsmacking! Seriously? Do you know so little about the natural world, in particular mammalia ?

"Make it go away, Mrs Whatsit," he whispered. "Make it go away. It's evil."
Hope123
Posted: Thursday, July 13, 2017 9:46:34 PM

Neurons: 42,040
I doubt it has anything to do with the moon as female humans can menstruate anywhere from 21 to 35 days and there is no link between any certain phase of the moon as to when any particular female starts or has her menses.

Some animals only prepare "food" for the embryo after copulation whereas the human female body must be more optimistic, Whistle Whistle preparing freshly every cycle.

Some cultures erroneously regard this release of material that is only unnecessary nutrition for an embryo that did not materialize as being unclean. Not so. It is just unnecessary if there is no embryo implanted. There is no need for girls to be segregated at that time. Males are not going to catch it. Whistle Whistle Whistle

So Ashwin if your sexual reproductive education really is that limited, by all means take the advice given and get the details and note that it is a natural bodily function.

Some human females do have more pain with it than others, but other than that it does not affect a woman's mental ability or her capabiities as some males - Putin for instance - seem to think.

A smile is a curve that sets everything straight. Phyllis Diller
Y111
Posted: Thursday, July 13, 2017 11:18:31 PM

Romany wrote:

OK then, it seems as though Y111 doesn't know too much about it, either.

At least not about the length of the period. It varies, but it's still more or less a month. I was just curious if anyone had any ideas why.

Hope123 wrote:

Some human females do have more pain with it than others, but other than that it does not affect a woman's mental ability or her capabiities as some males - Putin for instance - seem to think.

Putin? It's news to me. What exactly has he said about it and where?
Hope123
Posted: Thursday, July 13, 2017 11:34:59 PM

Russian president Vladimir Putin doesn’t have bad days because he’s “not a woman”. “There are certain natural cycles,” he explains. This is from an actual interview with American director Oliver Stone.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jun/09/women-have-bad-days-vladimir-putin-but-its-not-because-of-our-cycles

I guess he struck a nerve with this journalist…

Wow! Are things really like that in Russia for women?

Did they really just pass a law that it is all right for a man to hit a woman as long as he doesn't break a bone? Sacrebleu!

Y111
Posted: Friday, July 14, 2017 2:26:09 AM

Hope123 wrote:
Russian president Vladimir Putin doesn’t have bad days because he’s “not a woman”. “There are certain natural cycles,” he explains. This is from an actual interview with American director Oliver Stone.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jun/09/women-have-bad-days-vladimir-putin-but-its-not-because-of-our-cycles

I think she makes too much ado about nothing. Whatever causes women to be in bad mood when they menstruate, Putin, being a man, is not subject to it. Isn't this true? Also, I don't quite get what is wrong with calling the cycles of menstruation "natural cycles". Aren't they natural? Maybe Putin is wrong thinking that those days being bad is also natural, but he is neither a doctor nor a biologist, after all.

Yes, sometimes it's good not to be a woman, and other times it's good not to be a man. There are diseases specific to gender, for example. We are different, aren't we? Or is it politically incorrect even to see natural differences between people?

Hope123 wrote:

Wow! Are things really like that in Russia for women?

Did they really just pass a law that it is all right for a man to hit a woman as long as he doesn't break a bone? Sacrebleu!

No, the law doesn't say it's all right. Where have you read it does?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/feb/07/putin-approves-change-to-law-decriminalising-domestic-violence
Quote:

Defenders of the law say it closes a nonsensical loophole by which violent acts committed by family members are punished more harshly than those committed by strangers.

“The question is not whether it’s OK to hit or not. Of course it isn’t. The question is how to punish people and what you should punish them for,” said Olga Batalina, one of the MPs who drafted the law.

Olga Batalina is a woman, so it doesn't look like a conspiracy of male MPs who enjoy hitting their wives.
Lotje1000
Posted: Friday, July 14, 2017 2:43:04 AM

Neurons: 392,150
Y111 wrote:
I think she makes too much ado about nothing. Whatever causes women to be in bad mood when they menstruate, Putin, being a man, is not subject to it. Isn't this true? Also, I don't quite get what is wrong with calling the cycles of menstruation "natural cycles". Aren't they natural? Maybe Putin is wrong thinking that those days being bad is also natural, but he is neither a doctor nor a biologist, after all.

The bad mood when menstruating is up for debate currently. It might be a western cultural thing, based on expectations rather than biological causes. So if women are in a bad mood when they are menstruating, it might not be because of the menstruation, but because of societal expectations.

Secondly, just because Putin is spared from menstruation, doesn't mean he doesn't have hormonal cycles. For men it even happens every 24 hours, rather than throughout a month.
Y111
Posted: Friday, July 14, 2017 5:21:27 AM

Lotje1000 wrote:

Secondly, just because Putin is spared from menstruation, doesn't mean he doesn't have hormonal cycles. For men it even happens every 24 hours, rather than throughout a month.

Well, this cycle is too easy to overlook. If you feel your best in the morning and your worst in the evening, it's nothing special.
Lotje1000
Posted: Friday, July 14, 2017 5:53:23 AM

Neurons: 392,150
Y111 wrote:
Lotje1000 wrote:

Well, this cycle is too easy to overlook. If you feel your best in the morning and your worst in the evening, it's nothing special.

It's very easy to overlook; people often forget that we all go through hormonal cycles. Some are just more obvious than others. Sadly, there are enough people out there who use obvious cycles such as menstruation as alleged proof of women's instability or as reason to disqualify them from certain actions.

almo 1
Posted: Friday, July 14, 2017 10:24:50 AM

Neurons: 4,633

Moon River

Andy Williams

FounDit
Posted: Friday, July 14, 2017 10:53:51 AM

Neurons: 44,440
Ashwin,

Here is a link that might answer your reasonable question.

http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20150420-why-do-women-have-periods

A great many people will think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices. ~ William James ~
Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Friday, July 14, 2017 11:16:35 AM

Thank you very much, FounDit. Yours is a perfect explanation.

Mine was normal Physiological question ( per my Do You know Series....). Some members made a mole-hill,some raged, some added fuel to the fire,some were naughty, some racists and some with pseudo superiority complex.. I don't mind it generally happens and has happened to a number of historic and historical philosophers. Some most intelligent persons lost their lives at the hands of innocents, maniacs and illiterates. I hope you remember thet the church forgave Galileo.

To forgive is divine.

Oh God, Forgive them all for they don't what were they doing.

Some were intelligent to understood the query and some were cool. Oh God, Bless them.

Though I have the answer to all their responses but.....leave it.
HE sees the truth.

IMcRout
Posted: Friday, July 14, 2017 11:57:03 AM

Neurons: 493,797
If you had really wanted to know about the physiological side you would at your advanced age and education first have looked it up on the internet and, if still in doubt, have formulated the question in a much less naive way.

Your last post shows that you haven't understood anything and have gone completely bonkers, to boot.

I totally take back all those times I didn't want to nap when I was younger. (Anon)
Hope123
Posted: Friday, July 14, 2017 12:02:59 PM

Ashwin, you posted again while I wrote but I'll paste my message to you here anyhow (and also a message to Y111).

Ashwin, we suggested that you get more info online and FD has given you a website. There are lots of other sites and books you might consider checking if that is indeed what your question was about. I thought your original question was more about the length? But more context might have helped to prevent misunderstandings in the written word.

I don't think God really cares about your thread.

Hope123
Posted: Friday, July 14, 2017 12:13:26 PM

Y111, thanks for clearing that up about domestic abuse laws in Russia. I am glad to hear that.

I also said menstruation is a "natural bodily function". The point about Putin that you are missing is that it was not necessary for him to make the distinction. The reason the journalist got so mad was that there is often an implication made that men do a better job because a woman might be emotionally incapable because of a bodily function he doesn't have. That is nonsense. Women are competent in spite of having to deal with it - in fact it could be argued that it makes them more competent. I hope you were not including menstruation when you said men and women’s diseases differ - menses is not a disease or a disorder.

I heard even women saying that about Hillary that she might not be even tempered as president. And look at the even tempered male they got - mad all the time.

Far too much has been made of "women being in a bad mood" when menstruating. Pain is pain (and the period itself is a nuisance), but it is no different than how a male might act when having an annoying headache. Personality is to blame for behavior.

Most women without severe periods are so used to it, it is no big deal. And there are pain meds one can take. Often it came as relief - thank goodness I’m not pregnant! Or as a sign you didn’t want when trying to start a family.

Far too much has also been made of the side effects of menopause - which is actually great.

Quote YIII, "Well, this cycle is too easy to overlook. If you feel your best in the morning and your worst in the evening, it's nothing special."

I realize that men can never understand through experience and make a bigger deal of it than it is, but your quote above is how most women regard having a period. It just is.

It makes up for not having a nether part of the male body behaving as it does, even to the point of nocturnal dreams. And for the testosterone that makes males more eager to get into scrapes and do risky behavior.

I would never want to be a man - testosterone only recedes with age.

I think discussions between males and females are great so both sides can learn about the other's point of view.

Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Friday, July 14, 2017 12:24:45 PM

Hope123,you have given a very nice explanation.

How can God care for my (the innocent) for my thread. HE is the inventor of this physiological procedure. Much has been written about it by early British writers and Green Philosophers and innumerable article have appeared in newspapers, magazines and research papers.

Then why my thread is 'bad'?

But I am sure many mortals don't know the physiological reason for this phenomenon, especially when its present in humans.

Is it bad to discuss Gynecology, when don't mind to discuss labour pains,the Subject Sexology,the effects of menopause,the tubes, the ovary, the egg shedding cycle amongst the females, the direction of almighty to produce progeny?

I hate double-standards and hypocrisy.

A physiological invention/phenomenon, of human human body procedures is immune to ifs and buts.

Hope123
Posted: Friday, July 14, 2017 1:41:43 PM

Ashwin, as I said, discussions between sexes to give opposing views can only help to oil social interactions.

The problem is that religion is not really relevant in this topic. It doesn't matter how humans evolved that way - it just is. I suppose this thread might also have been in the Medical Forum.

But please own your responsibility in contributing to the misunderstandings by not being explicit enough and by doing your homework first. It happens to all of us!

I know it must be harder when English is your second language and you are also learning about a different culture as well.

Y111
Posted: Saturday, July 15, 2017 2:20:17 AM

Hope123 wrote:

The point about Putin that you are missing is that it was not necessary for him to make the distinction.

I agree, it wasn't at all necessary to mention women. It must have been just a knee-jerk reaction to the "bad days" idiom. An awkward attempt to crack a joke. If we had a female president and she said, in a similar situation, that she didn't have some problem because she wasn't a man, well, I think it might sound offensive to me as a man, even if she were absolutely right. I would probably think, "OK, that's true but what's the point of bringing it up?"

On the other hand, we all have bad moments when we say silly things. There are also cultural differences. Russians are definitely more tolerant toward politicians in this respect.

Hope123 wrote:

I hope you were not including menstruation when you said men and women’s diseases differ - menses is not a disease or a disorder.

No, I wasn't thinking about it.

Hope123 wrote:

I think discussions between males and females are great so both sides can learn about the other's point of view.

Indeed. We don't always realize that our experiences differ.
Hope123
Posted: Saturday, July 15, 2017 11:45:39 AM

Y111 wrote: "On the other hand, we all have bad moments when we say silly things. There are also cultural differences. Russians are definitely more tolerant toward politicians in this respect."

Why would that be? Maybe we need some of that tolerance here.

In MY world and view there is far too much intolerance and nit picking not only about politicians but about every little thing that happens these days, and it is spread by social media most times. I don't like it.

However, I may not like what they say but I will defend the right to free speech as long as it is not hate speech or doesn't hurt someone else. Unfortunately some IS hate speech and some very close to it. And often some of it does do damage to others. Many have lost their jobs, often when the punishment far outweighs the "crime", and some have commited suicide after being bullied. I would love to see some laws and enforcement to stop some of the miserable content online but that is very hard to police.

Hope123
Posted: Saturday, July 15, 2017 12:56:55 PM

A man in an office setting thinks nothing of lying on the floor because he has a sore back, but reports a woman for putting a hot water bottle on her lap in the summer because of menstrual cramps. They all use the hot water bottles in winter. And the HR response was ridiculous. I thought this was 2017!

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/lifestyle/smart-living/a-woman-had-her-period-so-her-male-colleague-reported-her-to-hr-obviously/ar-BBEqaSZ

I think they need to reintroduce health and biology classes into education.