The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

FYI - "The Lancet" - New mercury pollution threats: a global health caution Options
Hope123
Posted: Friday, July 14, 2017 1:54:11 PM

Neurons: 40,334
FYI -
"The Lancet" - New mercury pollution threats: a global health caution
“The Lancet” is a well respected world medical paper and this article was in the latest issue I got today. It is a free article so you can read the whole article by clicking on the above link.

As someone who has suffered (and still has to cope with after effects) from severe mercury poisoning, this is indeed bad news. And it should concern all of us but most people are not aware of what is happening as we go about our daily lives.

The good news is that American Republicans refused Trump’s wishes to delete the funds for cleaning up the Great Lakes as some of them also drink that water. But the bad news is that they must be with him on the issue of revoking environmental and health issues.

New mercury pollution threats: a global health caution

The Minamata Convention—a global agreement to tackle mercury—will enter into force on Aug 16, 2017, as the required 50th of the 128 signatory countries recently ratified the treaty, marking a long-awaited moment for the advancement of public health. However, while this achievement is celebrated, questions about whether governments are prepared to tackle complex issues surrounding implementation of the Convention remain rife.

The Trump Administration has been actively working to revoke a host of environmental and health regulations, including restrictions on mercury discharges from coal-fired power plants, despite legal challenges by civil society groups.1 Meanwhile, in some southern regions of the globe, new mercury mining is intensifying, further undermining this treaty's aims.2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Although some policy progress has been made for controlling mercury over the past decade, the emerging politics of deregulation and non-regulation pose serious threats to public health.

What can citizens of the world do, citizens who wish to not only keep what we have done but intensify our efforts to improve the quality of our air, water, and food?

LeonAzul posted a very perspicacious post in this thread about humans not learning what all other animals know - you don’t foul your own nest.

http://forum.thefreedictionary.com/postst173581_How-Humankind-Is-Shaping-the-Earth.aspx

Equality is when you see a person - not a label.
Víctor Lplz
Posted: Friday, July 14, 2017 4:14:31 PM

Neurons: 1,262,542
Do not believe everything you read. You should wonder Cui prodest?
Hope123
Posted: Friday, July 14, 2017 4:25:04 PM

I don't. And I ALWAYS consider the source. But this I have experienced myself - you have no idea.

Humankind profits (edited to add) when they are not exposed to mercury, a very very toxic substance. Do you know why we have the saying "Mad as a Hatter"? If not check it out.

What are your objections to human health profiting?

progpen
Posted: Friday, July 14, 2017 4:44:39 PM

Neurons: 186,406
The actions of the current administration can only be seen as malicious with the intent to harm or kill others. What ever the reasoning they give, their actions are malicious.

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. ― Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Hope123
Posted: Friday, July 14, 2017 4:56:29 PM

I agree, Progpen. As for Victor's comment about asking who profits, it is the corporations and the wealthy who profit from the relaxing of regulations.

What is your stake in this field, Victor?