The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Services Options
Jigneshbharati
Posted: Tuesday, July 11, 2017 11:22:08 AM

Neurons: 5,393
In cloud computing, the word cloud (also phrased as "the cloud") is used as a metaphor for "the Internet," so the phrase cloud computing means "a type of Internet-based computing," where different services — such as servers, storage and applications — are delivered to an organization's computers and devices through the ...

What does services exactly mean in the above context and in the healthcare e.g. Clinical services?
taurine
Posted: Tuesday, July 11, 2017 2:09:05 PM

Neurons: 51,466
Health care providers can better control cost while maintaining or even improving the quality of care. The most direct route to cost control can be self-defeating if it impairs care quality. To enable providers of health care to anticipate and cope with the effect of still visible economic crisis, certain coordinated set of actions falling into the areas - operational, financial, and structural might be required. Operational measures can range from rule-based cost control to a full-scale service transformation based on proven approaches such as lean. Finance-led actions may range from working capital management improvements to a balance-sheet review and enhancement. Structural changes could vertically integrate multiple functions. As to the operational management, health care providers can implement rule-based cost controls to achieve better better control over what they spent. This means that a review of major pay and non-pay cost categories might be made more visible. The cost controls can be a result of underlying process improvements. Allegedly costs that are not based on operational enhancements might last for a short time only but could negatively affect quality of the service. For example, health care providers could bring labour cost under control by curbing the unnecessary use of temporary doctors and nurses, as when temporary staff is hires solely on convenience or to cover for inappropriate scheduling practices. Also establishing and reinforcing thresholds for signing authority can help with highlighting areas of duplicative or unnecessary spending. It might be easier to control the purchases of excessive amounts of supplies what usually means that poor stock-management practices have taken place. I think that I am able to write many more words, but to summarize I wish to state as follows:
1. The Health Care Provider can build up the management infrastructure - clinician leaders might have been given tools and capabilities they need to manage their own services. I could give them certain autonomy, but within the constraint of the legislator. Typically, for each hospital service line, the clinical leaders work with their colleagues, not only doctors, but with nurses and other clinical staff. They together understand and are aware of the drivers of revenues - as impacting directly their own well-being - and costs and they can motivate the front-line employees to take ownership of improving their performance. With the additional focus on the responsibility and even possible criminal culpability if anything goes wrong.
2. A lean transformation could enable the hospital to analyse its processes for providing patient care. This could help to identify steps in those processes that are inefficient or result in bad-quality care, and in the result it might have led to take the necessary steps towards corrective actions.
3. From a financial-management perspective, a Health Care Provider acting through the cloud could benefit from the several factors, namely:
A) It could re-examine its financial forecasts and investment plans. The data derived from the health care service providers could give a detailed insight into, for example, how well is the Health Care Provider prepared financially for a downturn in revenues and profitability. [Any claim that "people before profit" is useless as long as medical care is concerned. Medical health service it vital and extremely expensive, and R&D necessitates immense investment in search for a cure if it is needed]

With due respect to you, Jigneshbharati, I am afraid that I cannot answer in simple words to your question. I am delighted that such an interesting question has been put by you. I am fully aware of my limitations to answer to it in short words and please accept what I have tried to share with you as an introductory part to create an answer to your question.
Jigneshbharati
Posted: Tuesday, July 11, 2017 5:06:01 PM

Thanks
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Tuesday, July 11, 2017 9:03:21 PM

Neurons: 149,215
Hello Jigneshbharati.

I'll try . . .

If you have looked at 'service' in the dictionary, there are a lot of definitions - which could be confusing.
However, they have a common base.

The main meanings all say "Helping someone, giving something which helps someone".

"Services" are different ways of helping or different things given which help.

In cloud computing, different companies give help in different ways.
Some provide servers which you can connect to, in order to use programs which you don't have.
Some provide storage 'space', where you can keep large files, image albums, backups and so on.
Some provide applications which you can download to your own computer and use when you're 'off-line'.

Each of these is a service.

In Health-care, the meanings are very much the same - things which help or actions which help.

"Clinical services" are actions which are directly working with a patient to help him or her to become well.
"Emergency services" would be the actions of those who go out in ambulances to deal with accidents and so on.
"Laboratory services" would be provided by people who do things like tests on blood samples or tissue samples to help the clinical doctor with his diagnosis.

Also - the groups of people who do these actions can be called a 'Service'.
The Ambulance Service is the whole team of drivers, paramedics, telephonists etc. who run the emergency-response system for a city or area.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
Jigneshbharati
Posted: Wednesday, July 12, 2017 1:48:21 AM

Thank you Drago! As always you nailed it!!! Your explanation style is superb and effective.