mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

round key rooms Options
vkhu
Posted: Tuesday, July 11, 2017 9:03:41 AM

Neurons: 3,927
Quote:
‘How are the walls?’

‘According to the spectrometer, mostly plaster and wood in the partition walls. Except round key rooms, which are reinforced steel.’

‘Let me guess: Artemis’s room, the vault and Spiro’s penthouse.’

Could anyone tell me what round key rooms are please? I could only find references to a type of lock, but it doesn't fit here. This building is state of the art, and the 3 mentioned room are the most high-tech one in the building. The vault, in particular, doesn't even have a "lock". It's opened using number pad, voice recognition, and bio-metric scanners.
Kunstniete
Posted: Tuesday, July 11, 2017 9:09:38 AM

Neurons: 104,088
Hi vkhu,

I'm not a native speaker, but I guess that key is an adjective here with a meaning like "most important". If they are the most sophisticated rooms in this building (as you said), that would fit perfectly.

At scientific conferences you have usually a program made up of a number of "talks" (scientific presentations) and keynote-lectures (= the most important presentations, usually given by very prominent and importantn researchers / institute directors and the like). Here, key functions the same way as in your example.

So the rooms in your quote are simply described by 2 adjectives: they are round and they are very important.

The value of choice is not in the size of the action but in its effect.
TMe
Posted: Tuesday, July 11, 2017 10:23:36 AM

Neurons: 2,279
It can be 'round key-rooms'. (Important round rooms)

I am a layman.
thar
Posted: Tuesday, July 11, 2017 10:34:51 AM

Neurons: 60,813
I think it is simpler than that.
Around - round - surrounding.
The walls are plaster. Except around key rooms.

The walls around key rooms are steel.
Key- most important, as Kunstniete explained. The ones you don't want someone getting into simply by breaking through a plaster wall.
Like the vault Whistle
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Tuesday, July 11, 2017 5:28:04 PM

Neurons: 139,836

Especially Artemis Fowl's room! You never know what he's got in there - time machine? Kidnapped Leprechaun?

And the vault - with a family motto "Aurum Potestas Est", it needs to have strong walls.

(Spiro is the evil baddie - owns a skyscraper called the Spiro Needle where his electronics company 'Fission Chips' is based.)

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
NKM
Posted: Tuesday, July 11, 2017 5:46:26 PM

Neurons: 149,377
It could be that entrance into those rooms requires a special (round) key, almost certainly together with an ID card and/or some other means of identification.

However, I think Thar's explanation makes more sense. Those particular rooms are especially important, and so are protected by especially robust walls.

If we could hear the conversation rather than just reading it, the rhythm and stress pattern would presumably clarify whether it was about "round-key rooms" or "[the walls] around key rooms".