The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Open-mindedness Options
Priscilla86
Posted: Monday, July 10, 2017 4:27:19 AM

Neurons: 3,997
Hope123 wrote:
https://www.authentichappiness.sas.upenn.edu/newsletters/authentichappinesscoaching/open-mindedness

"Open-mindedness is the willingness to search actively for evidence against one’s favored beliefs, plans, or goals, and to weigh such evidence fairly when it is available.

This is almost like what Drag0 said earlier, if not exactly. This could be the common denominator among open-minded people, it seems. I remember in another thread, jesusandmo shared this story of his dad, who I think exhibits the same trait:

"I was (sort of) raised Catholic, my Mum's family are Catholic and I went to a Catholic school (though really only in name). I remember a boy of Pakistani decent joined our school, which in our horribly parochial town was quite some event. I assumed he wasn't Catholic – I actually had no reason for this assumption – and asked my Dad something like 'why doesn’t he believe in the same God as us?', to which my Dad replied 'why don't you believe in the same God as him?'"

Hope123 wrote:

Being open-minded does not imply that one is indecisive, wishy-washy, or incapable of thinking for one’s self. After considering various alternatives, an open-minded person can take a firm stand on a position and act accordingly.[/i]

Open-minded people get a bad rap for being wishy-washy or fickle-minded but it could not be further from the truth. Wishy-washy or fickle-minded people change their minds for no reason at all, just because they feel like it, or for something that has nothing to do with the matter at hand. Open-minded people may change their minds after weighing all the facts and evidence, or they may not, but one thing for sure is they will do so (or not do so) after due consideration is given.

In the same thread as above, another member Absinthius also eloquently summed up why closed-mindedness is bad:

"Sticking to an idea no matter what, not even allowing for the option of changing your mind doesn't seem a sign of virtue, it is something very scary. It is a gateway to extremism."

The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.
almo 1
Posted: Monday, July 10, 2017 9:55:46 AM

Neurons: 3,032

Well I may be open-minded occasionally in some situations,

and I may not so much open-minded in some situations
whatever the definition of open-minded is.