The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Hey TEXANS: If You Know Beans About Chili... Options
hedy mmm
Posted: Thursday, June 29, 2017 5:54:59 PM

Neurons: 390,855
Hi Fellow TFDers (especially my Texan TFDers), I thought you'd enjoy this thread!

If You Know Beans About Chili You Know that Chili Has No Beans

"You burn some mesquite
And when the coals get hot
You hunk up some meat and you throw it in a pot
With some chilepods and garlic
And comino and stuff

Then you add a little salt
Till there’s just enough
You can throw in some onions
To make it smell good
You can even add tomatoes If you feel like you should

But if you know beans about chili
You know that chili has no beans".

By Kent Finlay @ 1976 Paper Napkin Music, BMI

Chili Facts: If you know beans about chili You know it didn’t come from Mexico. Not talking Chili was God’s gift to Texas (Or maybe it came from down below) And chili doesn’t go with macaroni... And damned Yankees don’t go with chili queens; And if you know beans about chili You know that chili has no beans.

Culinary Note: To cook chili, you have to know how to spell. Chiles are peppers, ranging in temperature from mild to incendiary. Chili is a thick stew made with meat, peppers, herbs, sometimes tomatoes, and (if you live north of the Red River) beans. If you live in Springfield, Illinois, or other northern or eastern locations, you might spell chili with two I’s: chilli. Texans never make chili with beans, unless they’re looking for a fight. Shame on you

Facts About Heat in Chilies: d'oh! The best and most fiery chile plants are poblano, jalapeño, orange habanero, Thai Dragon, even Red Savina habanero, which has recently been accepted into the Guinness Book of Records as the hottest pepper in the universe. At a soul-searing 500,000 units, the Red Savina blows the lid off the Scoville heat scale, the standard measure of a pepper’s incendiary temperament. Jalapeños, at a measly 55,000 units, are meek in comparison. You really need to be a red-blooded, asbestos-tongued chilehead to enjoy even a Jalapeño, just be careful with the seeds.

There are about twenty species and hundreds of varieties in the genus Capsicum, indigenous to tropical America. In their native habitat, they are perennial and woody, growing to seven feet tall, though in American gardens they are grown as annuals, reaching a height of three feet. Two highly variable species of the genus provide New World peppers—the red peppers. Bell peppers, pimento, paprika, chile, and cayenne peppers all belong to the species Capsium annuum. The Tabasco peppers come from Capsicum frutescens, grown commercially in the Gulf states and New Mexico.

Source: Steven Foster, Herbal Renaissance

hedy Dancing

"God graced us with today....don't waste it." hedy
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Thursday, June 29, 2017 6:17:39 PM

Neurons: 4,038
Nice facts Hedy, even if I don't eat chilli myself it plays havoc with gastric reflux.

Did you know that birds cannot taste capsaicin and could eat the hottest chiilli without it affecting them? It is thought to be an adaptation that means the seeds will be spread widely by flying birds hen eaten rather than mammals who will poop them out close to he parent plant.

The Scoville Scale represents how many drops of water you need to dilute a cerain amount of the extract of a certain type of pepper so you can no longer taste it.

I lack the imagination for a witty signature.
hedy mmm
Posted: Thursday, June 29, 2017 8:38:01 PM

Sarrriesfan wrote:
The Scoville Scale represents how many drops of water you need to dilute a cerain amount of the extract of a certain type of pepper so you can no longer taste it.

Thanks for your post Sarrriesfan...Applause I didn't know that important fact, it's so very interesting... I guess that the Red Savina habanero, whose incindiary temp on the Scovill Heat Scale standard measures 500,000 units...soooo, them is a lot of drops of water!! d'oh!

I love jalapeños (I don't eat the seeds), and my husband, a Texan, would suggest that one should coat the inside of his mouth with butter before ingesting and the heat would be bearable...drinking water after would only make it feel hotter in your mouth.

God knew what he was doing at creation...I did know that birds cannot taste capsaicin...wish I couldn't either. Tabasco Sauce with lemon on a raw clam is toooo good to pass up! Thank God I could eat almost anything, (nothing like Horseradish on a sandwich) I just have to be careful with the Nightshade family of foods...maybe I'll thread that info too...but right now I'm hungry! Dancing

hedy

TL Hobs
Posted: Thursday, June 29, 2017 8:47:06 PM

Neurons: 5,443
Down around San Antonio, Texas chili is referred to as a Bowl of Red. If it does have beans in it (heaven forbid) it is called a Bowl of Red on a Jukebox.

My mamma used to make chili using cayenne peppers, coarse ground chuck with lots of fat, cumin, onions and not much else. No beans, no tomatoes and definitely no cheese or spaghetti (YUK).

She started by splitting open the cayennes and drying them on a cookie sheet under the oven pilot light, back in the day when ovens had pilot lights. The next day, she cut up a chuck roast into pieces of beef about the size of a .45 caliber bullet, blended the cayenne in with the meat as she ran it through a hand cranked meat grinder using a coarse grind blade. That went into a bowl, covered with wax paper and placed in the refrigerator overnight to give the meat some time to absorb the pepper. The next day it all went into a cast iron dutch oven and cooked all day long, occasionally skimming some of the grease off the top. Good chili has lots of grease. You knew when it had the right amount of cayenne if your eyes began to water when you walked into the kitchen. Us kids would eat it when we got hungry enough to endure the burn.

The way to judge a good bowl of red is to place it on your head and see if your tongue tries to beat a hole through the roof of your mouth to get a taste. Drool

"When you don't know where you are going, you have to stick together just in case someone gets there." - Ken Kesey
almo 1
Posted: Friday, June 30, 2017 12:40:27 AM

Neurons: 3,032

“Screw you,” Zoltan croaked brightly. “Screw you and the horse you rode in on.”

The gunslinger nodded amiably.

“Beans, beans, the musical fruit,” the raven recited, inspired. “The more you eat, the more you toot.”

“You teach him that?”

“That’s all he wants to learn, I guess,” Brown said. “Tried to teach him The Lord’s Prayer once.” His eyes traveled out beyond the hut for a moment, toward the gritty, featureless hardpan. “Guess this ain’t Lord’s Prayer country. You’re a gunslinger. That right?”

“Yes.” He hunkered down and brought out his makings. Zoltan launched himself from Brown’s head and landed, flittering, on the gunslinger’s shoulder.

“Thought your kind was gone.”

“Then you see different, don’t you?”

- The Gunslinger -

by Stephen King

Donthailand
Posted: Friday, June 30, 2017 7:28:44 AM

Neurons: 316,324
Nice!
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Friday, June 30, 2017 7:44:38 AM

Neurons: 265,027
I can make this as a mellow dish, or hot as the hell. It depends on the chili peppers.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.
FounDit
Posted: Friday, June 30, 2017 11:59:07 AM

Neurons: 43,559
I like this line from this link:

"If somebody serves you beans in chili and has the audacity to call it Texas style, please feel free to do as the cowboys in the old Pace Picante commercial and “get a rope.”

Cooking on a Budget: Texas Chili

That Pace Picante Sauce commercial always makes me laugh.
Get a Rope

A great many people will think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices. ~ William James ~
hedy mmm
Posted: Friday, June 30, 2017 10:21:38 PM

FounDit wrote:
Get a Rope

DITTO, Cowboy!
I was just sharing your Post with my cousin who lives in Round Rock, TX (all the links you sent) this evening and we laughed silly...
Definitely Get a Rope...
BUT, let's forgive Jyrkkä Jätkä for using beans...afterall she's way out in Finland and she DOES make a mellow chili....and her photo of red beans & chili looks like a Puertorrican dish...only things missing is "arroz, platanos y aguacate".....GREAT PHOTO JJ!

When I travel down to Texas I'm going to enjoy a genuine bowl of real chili....yummmmmmm...

Have a great weekend & 4th of July...GOD BLESS AMERICA!

hedy

Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Saturday, July 01, 2017 3:06:16 AM

Neurons: 265,027
Thanks, Hedy. I'm still a "he", though ;-)

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.
hedy mmm
Posted: Saturday, July 01, 2017 9:19:17 AM

I am so, so sorry Jyrrkkä Jätkä my boo boo Brick wall ...your avatar threw me off...do forgive me,
you do cook (an almost) great chili and your photos are always great!

Have a great weekend!
hedy (still a she)

FounDit
Posted: Saturday, July 01, 2017 2:46:41 PM

hedy mmm wrote:
FounDit wrote:
Get a Rope

DITTO, Cowboy!
I was just sharing your Post with my cousin who lives in Round Rock, TX (all the links you sent) this evening and we laughed silly...
Definitely Get a Rope...
BUT, let's forgive Jyrkkä Jätkä for using beans...afterall she's way out in Finland and she DOES make a mellow chili....and her photo of red beans & chili looks like a Puertorrican dish...only things missing is "arroz, platanos y aguacate".....GREAT PHOTO JJ!

When I travel down to Texas I'm going to enjoy a genuine bowl of real chili....yummmmmmm...

Have a great weekend & 4th of July...GOD BLESS AMERICA!

hedy

I was with you up to the platanos y aquacate. I would never have imagined putting bananas or avacados in red beans and rice (arroz). The platanos might be okay, but I never developed a taste for aquacate. But then, my wife says I only have 3 taste buds anyway: meat, potatoes, and eggs...LOL.

Happy 4th of JUlY!!!

A great many people will think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices. ~ William James ~
hedy mmm
Posted: Saturday, July 01, 2017 3:53:26 PM

Hahahaha...she's right you know, you men only think with half a brain anyway...I serve rice & beans with the platanos and aguacate on the side...
tell your better half that, a little salt, lemon and sliced white onions on aguacate is scrumptious even in a sandwich with mayo......
LOL

FounDit
Posted: Saturday, July 01, 2017 9:57:23 PM

hedy mmm wrote:
Hahahaha...she's right you know, you men only think with half a brain anyway...(Well, that was once true, but today I use the whole thing. A few years back I finally managed to rescue the half that had been kidnapped by testosterone…*LOL*)I serve rice & beans with the platanos and aguacate on the side...
tell your better half that, a little salt, lemon and sliced white onions on aguacate is scrumptious even in a sandwich with mayo......
LOL

I'll pass the recipe on to my other half, thanks.
(Notice I didn't say "better half". I still have to maintain the illusion...*wink* )

hedy mmm
Posted: Saturday, July 01, 2017 10:18:30 PM

Yea, I got it...you're the head of the house, she's the neck that turns the head.....you make the major decisions like who you'd vote for president, and she makes the minor decisions like...let me shut up, you might just "Get a Rope"....I forgot for a moment I was married to a Texan...and he was the better half...I use to make him think so!

This was fun...Dancing

FounDit
Posted: Wednesday, July 05, 2017 10:27:14 AM

I passed your recipe on to my wife. She said it sounds like it would be very good, especially if she puts it on a tortilla...*LOL*

hedy mmm
Posted: Thursday, July 06, 2017 1:53:19 PM

Now I'm sure she's the better half....but you're still ok in my book....my friend!
If you play your cards right you won't have to experience the Picante commercial finale! Hee hee

Be blessed, hedy