The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Doctors' Day Options
Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Sunday, July 02, 2017 10:21:43 AM

Neurons: 66,686
Doctor's or Doctors' Day, in India, is celebrated on July 1 each year.

The story of Doctor's Day in India is very interesting. The history says, that in the year 1882, July 1st saw the birth of renowned Physician and partisan Dr. Bidhan Chandra Roy. He is remembered till date for actively involving himself in starting many institutions, hospitals and was fully dedicated to the upliftment of Indian society.

I wish all my doctor friends and all the doctors of the world (though late by 1 day)

Very Happy Doctor's Day.

Me Gathering Pebbles at The Seashore.-Aj
Articulate Dreamer
Posted: Sunday, July 02, 2017 10:42:33 AM

Neurons: 80,962
Thx Ashwin!
(Am a doc; are you one too?)
As you probably know Doctors haven't been having a good year.. maybe it's been longer. Many have suffered rampant violence at the hands of relatives of patients frustrated for a variety of reasons. They have also got bad press for flimsy reasons. The govt's policies in India have been muddled, for example, the flip flop on the diktat to prescribe only generics.

A huge national protest rally by docs early in June in New Delhi was blacked out by the media.

But the doctors have doggedly carried on their work most of the time.

As for the founder of the Medical Council of India, as well as the Indian Medical Association, Bidhan Chandra Roy, he was a most unusual man: a qualified surgeon and physician, both from the UK, he was also a statesman who became the Chief Minister of West Bengal. In that capacity, he could stand up to giants likes Pandit Nehru.
Not only was he born on July 1, he also died on that date at 80 yrs (ripe for the early 1960s).

"...hold infinity in the palm of your hand and eternity in an hour"
Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Sunday, July 02, 2017 11:01:21 AM

No Dr Dreamer, I am not. I am lawyer(Tax attorney). I am happy to add another doc in my doc friends' list. A number of them are in the US who were class mates in pre-medical class.Dancing

You have good knowledge abt Dr Roy.Applause

TheParser
Posted: Wednesday, July 05, 2017 8:10:31 AM

Neurons: 22,062
Here in the United States, we used to think that doctors (physicians) were little gods.

Today people realize that no profession is comprised of little gods.

We realize that doctors are just ordinary people. Some are competent and some are not.

Some more or less know what they are talking about, and some do not have a clue.

Doctors are great for taking care of broken bones, but there are some diseases that they cannot cure.

Doctors in the United States are overwhelmed by paperwork, for the health system in the United States is complicated beyond belief.

Medicine is still in its infancy.

Medical researchers, not movie or TV or singing stars, are the kind of heroes that our youth should be looking up to. Those researchers are working every day to find a cure for the horrific diseases that regularly kill so many people.

Andrew Schultz
Posted: Wednesday, July 05, 2017 8:31:27 AM

Neurons: 804,579
TheParser wrote:
Here in the United States, we used to think that doctors (physicians) were little gods.

Today people realize that no profession is comprised of little gods.

We realize that doctors are just ordinary people. Some are competent and some are not.

Some more or less know what they are talking about, and some do not have a clue.

Doctors are great for taking care of broken bones, but there are some diseases that they cannot cure.

Doctors in the United States are overwhelmed by paperwork, for the health system in the United States is complicated beyond belief.

Medicine is still in its infancy.

Medical researchers, not movie or TV or singing stars, are the kind of heroes that our youth should be looking up to. Those researchers are working every day to find a cure for the horrific diseases that regularly kill so many people.

Quite so! TV stars include anyone who pretends to be a much better businessman he is and who establish a twitter cult or who maligns scientific studies or would look to cut various research budgets across the board. These sorts of people are dangerous for science!

I particularly enjoy the idiom section of this fine website.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Wednesday, July 05, 2017 9:45:18 AM

Neurons: 149,104
Andrew Schultz wrote:
TV stars include anyone who pretends to be a much better businessman he is and who establish a twitter cult or who maligns scientific studies or would look to cut various research budgets across the board. These sorts of people are dangerous for science!

Anyone specific you're thinking of here? Think

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Thursday, July 06, 2017 1:08:40 AM

A generalized statement is unacceptable.

Here, in India, the best and dedicated doctors’ services are available and that too at a very reasonable fees. The family doctor is available at call day and night. There are no wait-lines. Patients, as far as from UK (especially for dentistry) and Arab countries come to India for best, no-delay and professionally dedicated services.

No doubt the situation in big private hospitals is different but not grim. Here doctors are considered second to none but God. They command exceptional respect in the society. They do a lot of charity also.

We have a quite a good number of Charitable hospitals also all over the country. These are equipped with best laboratories, X-ray plants ECG and EEG facilities and state-of-the-art OTs. Highly qualified persons manage these institutions with best learned doctors.