The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

take away stuff Options
mcurrent
Posted: Thursday, June 29, 2017 10:33:17 AM

Neurons: 2,311
Hi. Please, explain to me what "take away stuff" means. The text is
"This has gone far enough," I said. "Everybody knows you hate my guts. But my guts and I can handle that. If it keeps up, though, Mr. Forster's going to call your parents, and you'll be in bigger trouble. I don't know how they punnish you, but mine start taking away stuff until it hurts."
NancyUK
Posted: Thursday, June 29, 2017 11:56:44 AM

Neurons: 41,320
mcurrent wrote:
Hi. Please, explain to me what "take away stuff" means. The text is
"This has gone far enough," I said. "Everybody knows you hate my guts. But my guts and I can handle that. If it keeps up, though, Mr. Forster's going to call your parents, and you'll be in bigger trouble. I don't know how they punnish you, but mine start taking away stuff until it hurts."

Hi mcurrent

In my opinion, this means that his parents take some of his things away from him temporarily, to punish him. For example, they might take away his phone, or his game-playing equipment, or remove the TV from his bedroom. So his parents take things away from him that he really likes to have, which is an effective punishment - he says that the punishment "hurts" although it does not cause real, physical pain.

I would live all my life in nonchalance and insouciance, Were it not for making a living, which is rather a nouciance. Ogden Nash
thar
Posted: Thursday, June 29, 2017 1:53:11 PM

Neurons: 60,813
I agree totally with Nancy's explanation, of course.

Just to explain the vocabulary:

To take away - phrasal verb - to remove
Stuff - things, items

I think you got this, anyway, but a potential confusion here is 'but mine start....'
The contrast is
what your parents do
Vs
What mine do