The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Tart's drink Options
Tomahawk71
Posted: Thursday, June 22, 2017 8:08:19 AM

Neurons: 121,668
"Tart's drink, Maderia (wine), but boys like it. Perhaps that's why. They're frightful flirts."

Tart:

a. A pastry shell with shallow sides, no top crust, and any of various fillings.
b. Chiefly British A pie.
a. A prostitute.
b. A woman considered to be sexually promiscuous.

As far as I know, Maderia is a sweet wine. So, does tart here mean "a prostitute"?
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Thursday, June 22, 2017 8:17:57 AM

Neurons: 3,712
Ir depends on the context, but it may refer to a prostitute or a sexually promiscuous woman in this statement.

It's not considered a polite way to refer to a person.

I lack the imagination for a witty signature.
Tomahawk71
Posted: Thursday, June 22, 2017 8:26:42 AM

Sarrriesfan wrote:
Ir depends on the context, but it may refer to a prostitute or a sexually promiscuous woman in this statement.

That is, "It is a soft, sweet wine that prostitutes like very much".
Is that correct?
And because it is a sweet drink, boys are not good at flirting?
Boys must be tough. Right?
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Thursday, June 22, 2017 8:33:33 AM

Neurons: 3,712
Tomahawk71 wrote:
Sarrriesfan wrote:

That is, "It is a soft, sweet wine that prostitutes like very much".
Is that correct?
And because it is a sweet drink, boys are not good at flirting?
Boys must be tough. Right?

No, actually thinking on it I think it refers more to women of loose morals rather than an actually prostitute in this context.

" Maderia it's a woman's drink, but boys like it. "
"Perhaps that's why boys spend so much time flirting"

The statement is saying in the opinion of the person making it that women and boys share the same attributes, they both like Maderia wine and flirting, real men do not like either.

Here frightful is used as in intensifier of Flirting.
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/frightful
Quote:
. 3. Informal
a. Excessive; extreme: a frightful liar.

I lack the imagination for a witty signature.
thar
Posted: Thursday, June 22, 2017 8:39:38 AM

Neurons: 60,879
Nah, the opposite.

I assume he is talking about the boys.
They drink madeira.

You wouldn't expect that. You would expect them to drink a man's drink like brandy.
Madeira is a drink more usually drunk by women. And even by women loose morals (not high-class ladies).
But these boys like madeira.

Then he reasons why.
It is not so surprising that they like it - they are like that sort of woman - very flirtatious. Sex on their minds (presumably this is a boy's-only boarding school - I imagine young hormomes got a bit overheated)

'Tart' is not complimentary, but depending on the context it can be a very mild word.
It can range from explicitly calling someone a prostitute (but that is old, feels very Shakespearean), to just saying they like to flirt (not a 'nice' respectable lady), to just being something you call any woman, colloquially. It depends on context.

Here, it just seems to mean a flirtatious type of woman.

I don't imagine the speaker here was particularly feminist-minded. Probably all women were treated one of two types - either tarts or Madonnas (the Virgin Mary one, not the singer!) - the type sleep with, or the type you marry. Whistle

This is an image to show that it is not a 'bad word', necessarily. It does not apply directly to your text, because it is more modern, and your writer definitely did not mean it as a term of endearment. But you can see it can't have been a really insulting word, or you wouldn't use it like this so soon aftewards.
This is a birthday card. It is a pun - It calls someone a tart, and then has a picture of a pastry. But it is calling them a tart. It is a term of endearment here.

edit
posted same time as sarries, obviously. And in agreement with.

Tomahawk71
Posted: Thursday, June 22, 2017 8:47:00 AM

thar wrote:
Nah, the opposite.

I assume he is talking about the boys.
They drink madeira.

You wouldn't expect that. You would expect them to drink a man's drink like brandy.
Madeira is a drink more usually drunk by women. And even by women loose morals (not high-class ladies).
But these boys like madeira.

Then he reasons why.
It is not so surprising that they like it - they are like that sort of woman - very flirtatious. Sex on their minds (presumably this is a boy's-only boarding school - I imagine young hormomes got a bit overheated)

'Tart' is not complimentary, but depending on the context it can be a very mild word.
It can range from explicitly calling someone a prostitute (but that is old, feels very Shakespearean), to just saying they like to flirt (not a 'nice' respectable lady), to just being something you call any woman, colloquially. It depends on context.

Here, it just seems to mean a flirtatious type of woman.

I don't imagine the speaker here was particularly feminist-minded. Probably all women were treated one of two types - either tarts or Madonnas (the Virgin Mary one, not the singer!) - the type sleep with, or the type you marry. Whistle

Yes, these boys are the students in a boarding school. And the speaker is their teacher.
("Murder of Quality" by Le Carre)

Thank you both of you! :)
leonAzul
Posted: Saturday, June 24, 2017 1:22:34 AM

Neurons: 25,185
Tomahawk71 wrote:
"Tart's drink, Maderia (wine), but boys like it. Perhaps that's why. They're frightful flirts."

Tart:

a. A pastry shell with shallow sides, no top crust, and any of various fillings.
b. Chiefly British A pie.
a. A prostitute.
b. A woman considered to be sexually promiscuous.

As far as I know, Maderia is a sweet wine. So, does tart here mean "a prostitute"?

I read this a little differently from thar.

A tart is meant to be no more than a flirtatious or promiscuous woman. The boys like having the wine around not to drink it themselves, but rather to "soften up" the young ladies of easy virtue.

Full disclaimer: I don't share that point of view, but if I did, that's how I'd do it.
Whistle

"Make it go away, Mrs Whatsit," he whispered. "Make it go away. It's evil."
thar
Posted: Monday, June 26, 2017 3:40:43 AM

Neurons: 60,879
Hmmm.
I would agree, except for where he calls the boys 'terrible flirts'. That sounds a very feminine description, to me. That is what made me think it is the boys he is calling tarts.
Romany
Posted: Monday, June 26, 2017 6:52:16 AM

Neurons: 36,977

In gay parlance a 'tart' just means a woman/female. Thus gay men often reference each other as tarts.

Women don't object to people involved in the gay community calling them "tarts" - but coming from a straight male, the two of you would need to be friends: there could be room for misinterpretation if you aren't.

So I think the language is just that which could be heard at any (upper-class) all-male educational institutions in the past. Complete with boys drinking Madeira.