The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Abraham Lincoln Delivers His "House Divided" Speech (1858) Options
Daemon
Posted: Friday, June 16, 2017 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 65,094
Abraham Lincoln Delivers His "House Divided" Speech (1858)

In 1858, Lincoln was nominated to challenge incumbent Illinois senator Stephen Douglas for his seat. At the state Republican convention, he accepted the nomination with a now-famous speech explaining his view that the US could not exist with both slave and free states—as "a house divided against itself cannot stand." He lost the race but won the presidency two years later. When and by whom had the same biblical reference previously been used to describe the national rift over slavery? More...
Joel Souza
Posted: Friday, June 16, 2017 12:43:14 AM

Neurons: 57,433
The best-known passage of the speech is:
A house divided against itself cannot stand. I believe this government cannot endure, permanently, half slave and half free. I do not expect the Union to be dissolved — I do not expect the house to fall — but I do expect it will cease to be divided. It will become all one thing or all the other. Either the opponents of slavery will arrest the further spread of it, and place it where the public mind shall rest in the belief that it is in the course of ultimate extinction; or its advocates will push it forward, till it shall become lawful in all the States, old as well as new — North as well as South.[1]
KSPavan
Posted: Friday, June 16, 2017 1:04:00 AM

Neurons: 1,906,477
This Day in History
Abraham Lincoln Delivers His "House Divided" Speech (1858)
In 1858, Lincoln was nominated to challenge incumbent Illinois senator Stephen Douglas for his seat. At the state Republican convention, he accepted the nomination with a now-famous speech explaining his view that the US could not exist with both slave and free states—as "a house divided against itself cannot stand." He lost the race but won the presidency two years later.