mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

objectionable vs obnoxious Options
D00M
Posted: Sunday, May 14, 2017 5:27:56 PM

Neurons: 869
Hello respected teachers,

Which one best fills the gap, why?

Television shows have to warn viewers that they might find the content ..........if it contains a lot of violence and nudity.

objectionable vs obnoxious
thar
Posted: Sunday, May 14, 2017 5:49:53 PM

Neurons: 59,614
They can mean the same thing (in differing to degrees) when referring to people - very nasty, horrible.

But here, it is the literal meaning of the word.

That content was inappropriate - I object to it and demand you don't show it again.
If you can reasonably object then it is objectionable.
It has inappropriate sex, violence, political bias, whatever, that you can object to.

'Obnoxious' is horrible, extremely dislikable. Normally only applied to people - is it is a character trait.
You may really dislike a programme, and think it is vile, but that is not a good enough reason to stop broadcasting it! It is a subjective "Urgh".
mactoria
Posted: Wednesday, May 17, 2017 3:19:20 AM

Neurons: 700,308
DOOM: While I agree with Thar that the correct word for the gap in the sentence you wrote is "objectionable," I have to disagree with his assertion that "obnoxious" is 'normally only applied to people.' Per the TFD dictionary (and others on-line), the word "obnoxious" can be, and is often, used to describe things other than people: laws, smells, odors, etc. "Obnoxious" is not solely or even mostly a character trait, although as Thar indicates, it can definitely be used to describe a character trait of a person, as in "my co-worker is the most obnoxious person I know." But for your particular sentence example, the typical and common word to be inserted is "objectionable" since the sentence goes on to mention such matters as nudity and violence...things that some viewers might object to based on any number of reasons (e.g. morals, personal preference, desire to protect a child from seeing, etc.).