The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

a brace of slugs Options
vkhu
Posted: Monday, May 15, 2017 11:50:01 AM

Neurons: 4,467
Quote:
The two muskets I loaded with a brace of slugs each, and four or five smaller bullets, about the size of pistol bullets; and the fowling-piece I loaded with near a handful of swan-shot of the largest size; I also loaded my pistols with about four bullets each; and, in this posture, well provided with ammunition for a second and third charge, I prepared myself for my expedition.

-Robinson Crusoe

From what I know, slugs are a type of bullet that often use in shotgun, but I've never heard of them being used with the word "brace". What does the phrase mean?
thar
Posted: Monday, May 15, 2017 12:20:34 PM

Neurons: 63,565
The clue is in the next part of the sentence
...And four or five smaller bullets.
So 'a brace' is the number of something - two slugs.

Quote:

brace
n.
15. pl. brace : A pair of like things: three brace of partridges

Quote:
brace noun (PAIR)
plural brace
two things of the same type, especially two wild birds that have been killed for sport or food:
a brace of pheasants

Sounds like a recipe for blowing our own head off! Whistle
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Monday, May 15, 2017 1:00:26 PM

Neurons: 4,673
Robinson Crusoe was a man with some experience of life at sea and would have been familiar with the concept of 'double-shotting' a cannon.
In combat a cannon would be loaded with 2 cannonballs which would double the weight of shot fired at the enemy, but reduce the range that the balls were fired.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naval_artillery_in_the_Age_of_Sail

Quote:
Double shot – Two round shot or other projectiles loaded in one gun and fired at the same time. Double-shotting lowered the effective range and accuracy of the gun, but could be devastating within pistol shot range—that is, when ships drew close enough for a pistol shot to reach between the two ships. To avoid bursting the gun, reduced powder charges were used. Guns sometimes were double-shotted with canister or grape on top of ball, or even triple-shotted with very small powder charges which still were enough to cause horrible wounds at close range.

He is applying the same idea to his muskets and pistols.

I lack the imagination for a witty signature.