mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

by ear Options
Харбин Хэйлунцзян 1
Posted: Sunday, May 14, 2017 4:58:43 AM

Neurons: 190,561
Nicky Romero Unreleased Lyrics

Quote:
This page contains a few of Nicky Romero's unreleased tracks which does not yet have lyrics for. I have tried to write the lyrics by ear, so if you can correct any mistakes, please do so!

Can 'by ear' be used to mean what is purported here?

აბა ყვავებს ვინ დაიჭერს, კარგო? გალიაში ბულბულები ზიან.
sureshot
Posted: Sunday, May 14, 2017 5:54:57 AM

Neurons: 326,409
Харбин Хэйлунцзян 1 wrote:
Nicky Romero Unreleased Lyrics

Quote:
This page contains a few of Nicky Romero's unreleased tracks which does not yet have lyrics for. I have tried to write the lyrics by ear, so if you can correct any mistakes, please do so!

Can 'by ear' be used to mean what is purported here?

The idiomatic expression is "play it by ear". If you played it by ear it means that you acted spontaneously and according to the situation without a game plan. The original meaning of this term included playing music without sheet music i.e you either remembered the music or improvised it. From there, it came to mean other types of making it up as you go along. In the given situation you are attempting to write the lyrics for unreleased tracks. The sense is correct. However, I would rewrite the sentence as follows:

- This page contains a few of Nicky Romero's unreleased tracks which do not yet have lyrics. I have tried to play it by ear and written the lyrics.

Харбин Хэйлунцзян 1
Posted: Sunday, May 14, 2017 6:03:23 AM

sureshot wrote:
However, I would rewrite the sentence as follows:

- This page contains a few of Nicky Romero's unreleased tracks which do not yet have lyrics. I have tried to play it by ear and written the lyrics.

But this doesn't convey the original meaning which is 'write down the words while listening to the audio' as if you were doing dictation. I know it is used for music dictation but have never heard it used for stories or lyrics. Yours is an idiomatic use - play it by ear.

thar
Posted: Sunday, May 14, 2017 6:10:01 AM

Neurons: 60,904
I have to disagree - I think this is the musical meaning - playing without a score, just by hearing the music then playing it yourself.

It is unclear from what they wrote, because it is poor English, but I think they are using that metaphor to apply to lyrics.

They don't have 'official' lyrics written down, to copy into their post - so they have tried to write the lyrics from listening to the song.
But they admit they might have misheard or misunderstood, so they might have got the lyrics wrong. They are asking you to correct them if you know better.

Sureshot is right about the idiom of ad libbing, but I don't think it applies here. They are applying the idiom of playing music after hearing it, to writing down the lyrics after hearing them.

It isn't the normal way of expressing it - it is understandable but it sounds very odd.
'By ear' describes playing music, not transcribing words.

Not helped by the total mess of 'tracks which does not have lyrics for' which suggests carelessness or poor English.

But, hey, people using idioms in unusual ways is how they evolve!

Edit - posted same time as above. Disagreeing with sureshot.

Харбин Хэйлунцзян 1
Posted: Sunday, May 14, 2017 7:15:55 AM

thar wrote:
It isn't the normal way of expressing it - it is understandable but it sounds very odd.
'By ear' describes playing music, not transcribing words.

That is how I felt it. But now I have another question. What is the correct way to say that?

I have tried to transcribe the lyrics. ??????

Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Sunday, May 14, 2017 7:21:29 PM

Neurons: 140,064
I would write it something like this:

This page contains a few of Nicky Romero's unreleased tracks which I don't have published lyrics for. I have tried to transcribe the lyrics 'by ear', so if you can correct any mistakes, please do so!

I have used the inverted commas just to show that the idiom is being used in a slightly different fashion than usual in music.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
Харбин Хэйлунцзян 1
Posted: Sunday, May 14, 2017 11:36:30 PM

Drag0nspeaker wrote:
I would write it something like this:

This page contains a few of Nicky Romero's unreleased tracks which I don't have published lyrics for. I have tried to transcribe the lyrics 'by ear', so if you can correct any mistakes, please do so!

I have used the inverted commas just to show that the idiom is being used in a slightly different fashion than usual in music.

Thank you!