The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Do You Know Who Controls The Internet?(17) Options
Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2017 10:10:08 AM

Neurons: 69,736
Business Insider states; "It sounds like something out of a Dan Brown book, but it isn't: The whole internet is protected by seven highly protected keys, in the hands of 14 people."

Me Gathering Pebbles at The Seashore.-Aj
hedy mmm
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2017 1:11:24 PM

Neurons: 476,171
Correctomundo Ashwin Joshi, like me, you research! Applause

.....and if I may add, GPS (Global Positioning System/Satelite) is controlled by the oil companies...that is why when you key in a destination, it takes you the long way (we Americans call it, 'by way of Alaska')....you waste gas and they always take you past gas stations!

Before anyone criticizes what I've said Brick wall ....check it out...NBC did an exposè some years ago. Proof it for yourself...GPS a destination you already know how to get to, see the route GPS suggests...you will meander mindlessly, it will take you out of your way, add time to your travel...and surely, bring you past a gas station. If you don't know how to get to your destination, you don't have a clue!d'oh! d'oh!

So, who read '1984' Think

"God graced us with today....don't waste it." hedy
Hope123
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2017 11:57:13 PM

Neurons: 43,812
hedy mmm wrote:

.....and if I may add, GPS (Global Positioning System/Satelite) is controlled by the oil companies...that is why when you key in a destination, it takes you the long way (we Americans call it, 'by way of Alaska')....you waste gas and they always take you past gas stations!

Before anyone criticizes what I've said Brick wall ....check it out...NBC did an exposè some years ago. Proof it for yourself...GPS a destination you already know how to get to, see the route GPS suggests...you will meander mindlessly, it will take you out of your way, add time to your travel...and surely, bring you past a gas station. If you don't know how to get to your destination, you don't have a clue!d'oh! d'oh!

So, who read '1984' Think

Hedy, I tried several searches for this conspiracy theory including NBC expose and could not find anything at all. Do you have a link?

The GPS system on our Mexico assembled car using US parts gives us a choice of longest but maybe less traffic, fastest, with or without tolls...

It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.
Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2017 9:42:37 AM

hedy mmm wrote:

Correctomundo.
Heard for the first time.

Fantastic.Applause hedy

will
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2017 11:07:14 AM

Neurons: 4,357
hedy mmm wrote:
NBC did an exposè some years ago

Some years ago? Was it a particular day, some years ago?.. April 1st, perhaps? Think

leonAzul
Posted: Saturday, February 4, 2017 5:20:46 AM

Neurons: 25,985
Ashwin Joshi wrote:
Business Insider states; "It sounds like something out of a Dan Brown book, but it isn't: The whole internet is protected by seven highly protected keys, in the hands of 14 people."

Bullshit!

We are the internet, and we control it if we choose to!

ahimsa

"Make it go away, Mrs Whatsit," he whispered. "Make it go away. It's evil."
Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Saturday, February 4, 2017 9:55:13 AM

leonAzul
We are the internet, and we control it if we choose to!

In fact, we use the facility of 'internet' by paying some fee or charges. Some highly secretive organization
of committed and dedicated scientist are behind it. It is the backbone, in this era, of the safety of many businesses, air-traffic, banking, the life of people, medical research and surgery and what not. God forbids, the system fails/falls, the catastrophe will be worst than the most dangerous meltdown known to the mankind

OnTheVerge
Posted: Sunday, February 5, 2017 3:14:39 PM

Neurons: 444,920

THESE are the companies (organizations) that provide the oversight. They range from non-profits to ISPS. It is NOT 7 as suggested and it is NOT individuals. All of them wield great influence in their own right, none of them, however, have the power that you are suggesting.

http://cdn.bgr.com/2014/02/6-companies-run-internet.jpg?quality=98&strip=all

The world will never starve for want of wonders, but only for want of people who wonder.
srirr
Posted: Monday, February 6, 2017 2:18:07 AM

Neurons: 209,385
Interesting.
OnTheVerge, out of the six you mentioned, I was only knowing about The Internet Society and ISPs. This is but a real question who governs the Internet.

We are responsible for what we are, and whatever we wish ourselves to be, we have the power to make ourselves. ~ Swami Vivekanand
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Tuesday, February 7, 2017 4:13:46 AM

Neurons: 362,909
Wikipedia article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_governance

See this graph (too big to fit on screen here, so I just give the link):
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ed/Who-Runs-the-Internet-graphic.png

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.
CoolSmooth
Posted: Friday, May 5, 2017 5:40:12 AM

Neurons: 260,248
Good Morning, I read that the Head of Web or Internet was Chaired by several Organizations based in Europe , with various Oversight Committees from the Heads of the Governing Bodies similar to the UN structure. I don't know the exact Agency name. Thanks for any Imput
Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Sunday, May 14, 2017 12:03:04 PM

CoolSmooth, you are very correct. The control can't be in a single hand.