The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

with a great weight upon them Options
vkhu
Posted: Friday, May 12, 2017 5:20:49 AM

Neurons: 4,467
Quote:
At length I resolved to try a pitfall; so I dug several large pits in the earth, in places where I had observed the goats used to feed, and over those pits I placed hurdles of my own making too, with a great weight upon them; and several times I put ears of barley and dry rice without setting the trap; and I could easily perceive that the goats had gone in and eaten up the corn, for I could see the marks of their feet.

-Robinson Crusoe

So Robinson dug a hole, covered it with branches and stuff, then he placed some weight on it? How can the cover stands a bunch of weight, and why did he even do it?
jacobusmaximus
Posted: Friday, May 12, 2017 5:49:10 AM

Neurons: 344,751
It is a long time since I read Robinson Crusoe, but perhaps the weights were placed there to keep the pit covers from being blown away by the wind. The weight would be just heavy enough to keep the cover in place but with the weight of a goat added it would drop suddenly so the animal would not have time to jump clear.
Just a thought.

I remember, therefore I am.
Cosms Taaba
Posted: Friday, May 12, 2017 6:03:05 AM

Neurons: 138,779
vkhu wrote:
Quote:
At length I resolved to try a pitfall; so I dug several large pits in the earth, in places where I had observed the goats used to feed, and over those pits I placed hurdles of my own making too, with a great weight upon them; and several times I put ears of barley and dry rice without setting the trap; and I could easily perceive that the goats had gone in and eaten up the corn, for I could see the marks of their feet.

-Robinson Crusoe

So Robinson dug a hole, covered it with branches and stuff, then he placed some weight on it? How can the cover stands a bunch of weight, and why did he even do it?

hurdle = "frame of intertwined twigs", plaiting, netting. It can be flexible or rigid depending on the density of materials used. Perhaps, one can misunderstand that Crusoe placed separate weights on the hurdles, but he probably meant that the hurdles themselves were heavy so as not to sag over the holes when goats walk on them.
FounDit
Posted: Sunday, May 14, 2017 10:43:15 AM

Neurons: 43,875
I read it the same as Cosms Taaba. I took it to mean the trap was strong enough (great weight) so it would not collapse when the goats walked on it. Then, after they got used to doing so, he would replace them with smaller pieces that would break and trap the goats.

A great many people will think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices. ~ William James ~