The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

it almost spoiled some of them Options
vkhu
Posted: Sunday, May 14, 2017 8:49:49 AM

Neurons: 3,602
Quote:
Now I began to take courage, and to peep abroad again, for I had not stirred out of my castle for three days and nights, so that I began to starve for provisions; for I had little or nothing within doors but some barley-cakes and water; then I knew that my goats wanted to be milked too, which usually was my evening diversion: and the poor creatures were in great pain and inconvenience for want of it; and, indeed, it almost spoiled some of them, and almost dried up their milk.

Does the phrase in bold means some of the goat got sick because they hasn't been milked for a long time, or that the milk he got out of them after 3 days of neglect was unfit for consumption?
FounDit
Posted: Sunday, May 14, 2017 10:35:41 AM

Neurons: 41,958
vkhu wrote:
Quote:
Now I began to take courage, and to peep abroad again, for I had not stirred out of my castle for three days and nights, so that I began to starve for provisions; for I had little or nothing within doors but some barley-cakes and water; then I knew that my goats wanted to be milked too, which usually was my evening diversion: and the poor creatures were in great pain and inconvenience for want of it; and, indeed, it almost spoiled some of them, and almost dried up their milk.

Does the phrase in bold means some of the goat got sick because they hasn't been milked for a long time, or that the milk he got out of them after 3 days of neglect was unfit for consumption?

I take it that they almost stopped giving milk. If they aren't milked regularly, they will dry up, and stop producing. So they would be "spoiled" for milking.

A great many people will think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices. ~ William James ~