The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

looking for the right adjectives Options
robjen
Posted: Friday, May 12, 2017 4:47:43 AM

Neurons: 1,429
I am looking for the right adjectives in the two examples below.

Example A about my friend's nephew who is 11 years old

My friend's nephew behaves very well when his parents are with him. Every day after school, he goes home to do his homework. Every weekend, when he finishes his homework, he plays with his friends and then goes home no later than 4 o'clock. Next, he helps his parents with their housework until dinner time. He is polite and obedient.

My friend has told me that whenever his parents go on a business trip together, his nephew becomes a different person. He is too lazy to do his homework. Every day after school, he plays with his friends until late in the evening. He even makes a big mess in his house.

Example B about my neighbor's cousin who is 14 years old

Two days ago, I visited my neighbor and listened to his conversation with his cousin.

My neighbor said, "You have a major science test next week. Stop playing video games and start studying."

His cousin replied, "So what! I hate studying."

My neighbor said, "If you don't start studying, I will tell on you when your parents come back from work tonight."

His cousin said, "Go ahead! I don't care."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have come up with a few adjectives to describe the people in the two examples.

(example A) He is unrestrained, unruly and transformed.

(example B) He is snotty, repulsive and aggravating.

I would like to ask two questions.

(1) Do my adjectives work?

(2) What other adjectives do you suggest?

Thanks a lot.
TheParser
Posted: Friday, May 12, 2017 8:21:29 AM

Neurons: 19,793
robjen wrote:

What other adjectives do you suggest?

NOT A TEACHER

obnoxious

FROSTY X RIME
Posted: Friday, May 12, 2017 8:48:25 AM

Neurons: 9,754
People here seem to use "naughty" a lot to describe children that don't behave themselves.

I have just looked the dictionary up for it and its definition is "behaving disobediently or mischievously:"

I don't really know the answers to your questions but the words you have suggested and the word Parser sugguested seem fine as well.
But and then I am not a native speaker so you may as well wait for more replies.

What should be shall be-The fellowship of the ring-
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Friday, May 12, 2017 3:34:27 PM

Neurons: 137,007
In my mind, 'naughty' is not so bad.
It means (to me) more 'playfully mischievous' or 'impish'.

The eleven-year-old sounds 'badly-behaved' or (formally) 'refractory'. Also 'sneaky' as he only does it when his parents can't see it.

The fourteen-year-old sounds 'rebellious' and 'aggravating'. 'Snotty' is more slang - and can mean other things (haughty, egocentric).

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
robjen
Posted: Saturday, May 20, 2017 12:03:17 AM

Neurons: 1,429
Thanks everyone for your suggested words. Could someone please tell me whether or not my own choices of adjectives work? Thanks again.