The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Baby Boomers and Hep C Options
L.Rai
Posted: Friday, March 24, 2017 5:59:18 PM

Neurons: 579,020
This may be old news to some, even so it's worth posting. I have recently learned that Baby Boomers (those born between 1945-1964) are at the highest risk of contracting Hepatitis C, which can lead to liver cancer.

Here is a link http://www.hepchope.com/about-hep-c

The CDC is recommending that anyone born between 1945 and 1964 be tested. It's a blood test but you must be sure to tell them it's for Hep C screening.

This is a silent killer. It can lay dormant but still do great damage. In 1986 my older sister died of what was then called Hepatitis of Unknown Origin...today it's Hep C. She had the disease for decades and never knew. By the time they finally realized what she had it was too late.

Hep C is the leading cause for liver transplants today, but unlike 30 years ago with my sister there is hope. You can be tested and there is treatment if caught early.

There are many sites on the internet but I found this one very helpful and easy to understand. One more thing...the treatment is expensive...that isn't good news but at least today there is hope, 30 years ago there wasn't.

"Your life matters more than you will ever know, so live it well"
Hope123
Posted: Friday, March 24, 2017 6:16:37 PM

Neurons: 40,349
Thanks for the info, L Rai. We've had the Hep A and B shots but they don't help for C. Edited - I went online right now and took the risk test and we are not at risk. Plus routine liver function tests are done periodically.

Equality is when you see a person - not a label.
L.Rai
Posted: Friday, March 24, 2017 6:47:20 PM

I currently live and work in China...but I'm thinking about being tested here soon. I am hopeful that all will be good.

Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Saturday, March 25, 2017 3:57:58 AM

Neurons: 66,411
God bless all especially the Baby Boomers.

Along with, I would like to aware my friends and everybody to go for an early detection of cancer test. I never mean to terrorise but the reality is that this wretched disease is curable if detected at an early stage. I know people are but afraid of going to an oncologist or pathologist for the test. Once tested they will, afterwards, consider themselves lucky if investigated, positive or negative.

Remain healthy to enjoy life.

Me Gathering Pebbles at The Seashore.-Aj
FounDit
Posted: Saturday, March 25, 2017 11:31:22 AM

Neurons: 43,559
I enjoy the status of being both a baby-boomer and a Vietnam veteran. Twenty years after that experience, the VA decided to test me for Hep C. I'm glad they didn't wait too long...Anxious

As it turned out, I tested negative, so I was fortunate in that department, but not so much in the skin cancer department. This is another area that people need to be conscious of. Living near the equator and having worked outside nearly all my life has resulted in several instances of skin cancer. I had 3 removed just this week.

Someone once said "a wise man never wants to be young again", but I doubt any young person looks forward to old age either.

A great many people will think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices. ~ William James ~
L.Rai
Posted: Saturday, March 25, 2017 6:10:59 PM

Dear Foundit:

A dear friend (who is now 86) once told me, "aging ain't for sissies"; as I grow older I am beginning to see the truth in her statement. Whistle

My brother also served in Nam and he too tested negative. I know that Hep C isn't something passed on in the genes but since my sister died of it, I'm a tad concerned. Even though the thought of being tested for it here in China is a little scary, I figure it should be done.

Thanks for the head's up on the skin cancer, and cancer in general. My prayer is that one day a cure for cancer will be found. In 1986 (when my sister died) there was no cure for Hep C or good treatment, but today thankfully there are both. I hold out hope that one day that will be true of cancer too.

LRai

Hope123
Posted: Saturday, March 25, 2017 9:13:54 PM

LRai, Hep C is caused by a virus and it is not caused by genetics in any information I found. So unless you shared a razor or toothbrush or needle with her, you are not at risk. Blood transfusions before they screened blood is another risk factor. Take the test below.

If I am correct it is A and B that are more easily spread through food etc. and for those they have Twinrix vaccine.

The nurses should use sterile procedures in China? As far as I know it is a blood test. Right?

Glad you tested negative after being in a war environment, FD. I assume the risk would be higher there, being in close quarters plus having other exposures too. There are so many ways that medicine and tests have developed since then that maybe they didn't think to test back then?

As a teen I was attacked by a feral cat that severed an artery in my wrist and broke my thumb. The doctor bandaged it up and gave me a tetanus shot - no thought of rabies in those days and I found out years later during an x-ray on my hand (turned out to be sepsis then) that my thumb had been broken way back then and I didn't know. All I knew was it was really painful.

Test for Risk of Hep C

Although missing some organs, my husband has survived for 15 and 20 years two major cancers because they were caught early. Routine tests and annual wellness physicals are important. (Don't let them tell you that for men having a PSA test annually is not important.) He has had many basal cell skin cancers dug out and he goes every six months to be checked. Most of our older friends have their skin zapped or surgery, although now they are using a chemo cream that burns it off.

I on the other hand, a freckle-faced reddish haired person with the fair skin to match who never had skin on her nose all summer as a kid and loved to peel off the blisters on her shoulders has not had any skin cancers. Yet anyhow. Go figure.

They are doing so many great "things" and making discoveries where cancer is concerned that maybe you will get your breakthrough soon, LRai.

L.Rai
Posted: Monday, March 27, 2017 6:56:57 PM

Hope:

Thanks, I too have been doing a ton of research and asking friends who are doctors. As it's turning out I will have the blood test done and most likely in China as it's cheaper to do it here. However, it's also turning out that the liver question that was seen on the MRI needs an ultrasound done first. They don't think it's Hepatitis but they are not sure just what they think is wrong. Since it's a simple ultrasound test I will get that done soon. It may be that I've taken too much Tylenol or Ibuprofen which is showing up as something in my liver. Have no clue but better safe than sorry.

I agree with you that Hep C is most likely not genetic, but given the history and their lack of understanding of the cause for the virus it's always been a concern in the back of my mind.

Thanks again for being on top of things.

LRai

Hope123
Posted: Monday, March 27, 2017 10:34:49 PM

Good luck, LRai. I didn't know you'd already had an MRI. Yes, those drugs can absolutely cause problems. It would be nice if you were to keep us posted if it is not an invasion of privacy.

Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Wednesday, April 26, 2017 2:04:31 AM

Neurons: 66,411
Hello Rai, Are you Ok? Pl reply if you don't mind. Coz, at the forum, we are concerned.

Me Gathering Pebbles at The Seashore.-Aj