The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

By being Options
Jigneshbharati
Posted: Thursday, April 20, 2017 8:56:03 AM

Neurons: 3,143
When I was very young, it gave me a great learning opportunity by being among all the legends,"
https://m.rediff.com/cricket/report/dhoni-should-be-respected-his-removal-as-pune-captain-disappointing-raina-ipl/20170420.htm
I know that "being" is a gerund but never understood it's meaning in the given context?
Is "by" a preposition here and so we need a gerund after it?
Thanks
sureshot
Posted: Thursday, April 20, 2017 9:32:17 AM

Neurons: 313,858
Jigneshbharati wrote:
When I was very young, it gave me a great learning opportunity by being among all the legends,"
https://m.rediff.com/cricket/report/dhoni-should-be-respected-his-removal-as-pune-captain-disappointing-raina-ipl/20170420.htm
I know that "being" is a gerund but never understood it's meaning in the given context?
Is "by" a preposition here and so we need a gerund after it?
Thanks

Yes, "by" is a preposition and is followed by a noun or a gerund functioning as a noun. In the given context, "being" means "existing". One meaning of "being" is "the state or fact of existing".
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Thursday, April 20, 2017 3:53:18 PM

Neurons: 136,988
I agree with your analyses, but I do not agree with the original sentence so much.

It sounds "odd".

If you 'reverse' it to remove the "dummy 'it'", things go wrong.
original - When I was very young, it gave me a great learning opportunity by being among all the legends.
inversion - When I was very young, by being among all the legends gave me a great learning opportunity.

The original should read:
original - When I was very young, it gave me a great learning opportunity to be among all the legends.
inverse - When I was very young, to be among all the legends gave me a great learning opportunity.

This uses the infinitive "to be" as the base of a noun-phrase, rather than a gerund.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!