The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

...explain about/strong believers Options
Koh Elaine
Posted: Tuesday, April 18, 2017 5:47:45 AM

Neurons: 7,059
Let me explain about it in short, strong believers of the Lotus Sutra who have the great mission of propagating Nichiren Daishonin’s teachings will be born in the Latter Day of the Law as the temporary appearance of “those without the seed of Buddhahood”, but their true appearances are as the Bodhisattvas of the Earth and the benefits they have accumulated from past lifetimes are unfathomable.

1. Should it be explain instead?
2. Is strong believers OK?

Thanks.
sureshot
Posted: Tuesday, April 18, 2017 7:55:46 AM

Neurons: 294,151
Koh Elaine wrote:
Let me explain about it in short, strong believers of the Lotus Sutra who have the great mission of propagating Nichiren Daishonin’s teachings will be born in the Latter Day of the Law as the temporary appearance of “those without the seed of Buddhahood”, but their true appearances are as the Bodhisattvas of the Earth and the benefits they have accumulated from past lifetimes are unfathomable.

Thanks.

1. The preposition "about" is not required.

2. There is nothing wrong in the use of adjective "strong" before the noun "believers". The usual expression is "strong believers in the Lotus Sutra ...". In my view, the preposition "of" should be replaced by "in". Those who have an accurate understanding of the Lotus Sutra and are able to actualize the sacred scriptures without a conflict in conscience are "strong." Those who lack clarity and are unsure of how they can use the Lotus Sutra as a teaching of empowerment are "weak".
Koh Elaine
Posted: Tuesday, April 18, 2017 10:49:28 AM

Thanks, sureshot.
NKM
Posted: Tuesday, April 18, 2017 4:58:46 PM

Neurons: 127,620
Koh Elaine wrote:

Thanks.

══════════════════════════════════════════════

That is what we call a "run-on sentence" — that is, two sentences forced together.

"Let me explain it."
- That's a whole sentence. And I don't think "in short" is appropriate, since the explanation is actually quite long.

Strong believers in the Lotus Sutra who have the great mission of propagating Nichiren Daishonin’s teachings will be born in the Latter Day of the Law with the temporary appearance of “those without the seed of Buddhahood”, but their true appearances will be as the Bodhisattvas of the Earth, and the benefits they will have accumulated from past lifetimes will be unfathomable.

Koh Elaine
Posted: Wednesday, April 19, 2017 10:28:31 PM

Thanks, NKM.