The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

for from the moment that they rather put me into the boat than that I might be said to go in Options
vkhu
Posted: Wednesday, April 19, 2017 9:35:49 AM

Neurons: 3,231
"I must acknowledge I had hardly eyes to look up when the seamen told me she was sinking; for from the moment that they rather put me into the boat than that I might be said to go in, my heart was, as it were, dead within me, partly with fright, partly with horror of mind, and the thoughts of what was yet before me."

Original text: Robinson Crusoe

At this point, Robinson was rescued from his sinking ship, and they are watching it sinking down. I get that he finds the scene too much to bear, and he dreads the prospect of the future. But I have absolutely no clue what the part in bold mean. Can anyone clarify that?
NancyUK
Posted: Wednesday, April 19, 2017 10:02:59 AM

Neurons: 36,695
Hi vkhu

I read it to mean that he was forcibly manhandled into the boat, and did not get into it willingly.

I would live all my life in nonchalance and insouciance, Were it not for making a living, which is rather a nouciance. Ogden Nash
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Wednesday, April 19, 2017 1:46:38 PM

Neurons: 131,330
It seems like the write is trying to show that he might have written "from the moment that I went in the boat, my heart was, as it were, dead within me" - but he decided that it was more honest to say "from the moment that they put me into the boat, my heart was, as it were, dead within me"

He might be said to go in the boat, but rather (more correctly) they put him into the boat.

I think you are right about the meaning of the whole sentence.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!