The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

plucked out Options
Koh Elaine
Posted: Wednesday, April 19, 2017 7:39:33 AM

Neurons: 7,077
The dentist plucked out my decayed tooth.

Is "plucked out" correctly used?

Thanks.
O. Uthman
Posted: Wednesday, April 19, 2017 8:06:47 AM

Neurons: 273
It's very much correct pluck out something is to remove. So I think "plucked out" is what best described the statement above. Thanks
sureshot
Posted: Wednesday, April 19, 2017 9:04:06 AM

Neurons: 295,345
Koh Elaine wrote:
The dentist plucked out my decayed tooth.

Is "plucked out" correctly used?

Thanks.

The usual word for removal of a tooth is "extract". The expression "to extract a tooth" implies that the procedure required special effort and skill with an element of force. The dentist uses a variety of forceps and levers for removal of the tooth. The word "extract" means to "pull out" something that belongs there naturally.

I wouldn't like to use the verb "pluck" as a synonym for the usual word "extract" when referring to a tooth especially when special effort and skill is required. "To pluck" is usually associated with removal or detachment by grasping and pulling the object abruptly with fingers. The act of plucking generally involves pulling something quickly in order to remove it. Say, there is a tooth that has become very loose and the child is able to wiggle it with hardly any pain in order to make it looser. In such a case, I have come across parents who often "pluck out" the tooth with fingers after first checking the degree of looseness by moving the tooth back and forth.

Koh Elaine
Posted: Wednesday, April 19, 2017 9:38:15 AM

Neurons: 7,077
Thanks, sureshot.
Evergreen
Posted: Wednesday, April 19, 2017 9:46:39 AM

Neurons: 1,439
plucked out my tooth and offered me a glass of water.

plucked my tooth out, removed it from some debris in fresh water.
Then he said : Look at it ! Did you know it was a golden one ?
NKM
Posted: Wednesday, April 19, 2017 11:42:35 AM

Neurons: 128,083
"Extract" is essentially a technical term — it's what the dentist writes in his records.

Most of us, speaking less technically, would normally say he pulled the tooth.

Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Wednesday, April 19, 2017 12:58:00 PM

Neurons: 61,781
Pluck out means;
extirpateverb abolish, annihilate, annul, blast, blot out, bring to ruin, cancel, consume, cut down, deal destruction, deracinate, desolate, destroy, devastate, devour, dissolve, do away with, efface, eliminate, end, eradicare, erase, exterminate, extinguish, get rid of, gut, lay waste, level, liquidate, nullify, obliterate, pluck out, pull out, pull up by the roots, purge, put an end to, quash, quell, ravage, raze, remove, render null, rid, root out, rub out, sacrifice, shatter, smash, stamp out, tear out, tear to pieces, unmake, uproot, weed out, wipe out;

It's not a medical term. "Pluck out" seems, to me at least, contains an iota of a criminal act.

Me Gathering Pebbles at The Seashore.-Aj
Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Wednesday, April 19, 2017 12:58:43 PM

Neurons: 61,781
Pluck out means;
extirpateverb abolish, annihilate, annul, blast, blot out, bring to ruin, cancel, consume, cut down, deal destruction, deracinate, desolate, destroy, devastate, devour, dissolve, do away with, efface, eliminate, end, eradicare, erase, exterminate, extinguish, get rid of, gut, lay waste, level, liquidate, nullify, obliterate, pluck out, pull out, pull up by the roots, purge, put an end to, quash, quell, ravage, raze, remove, render null, rid, root out, rub out, sacrifice, shatter, smash, stamp out, tear out, tear to pieces, unmake, uproot, weed out, wipe out;

It's not a medical term. "Pluck out" seems, to me at least, contains an iota of a criminal act.

Me Gathering Pebbles at The Seashore.-Aj
Wilmar (USA)
Posted: Wednesday, April 19, 2017 1:29:18 PM

Neurons: 65,851
NKM is correct about the use of terms extract and pulled. I would add that regardless, people often use and certainly recognize both terms in everyday life.
You had a tooth pulled; you had a tooth extracted -- it's all the same to anyone who hears it.