The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Should it be 'nor' or 'or', 'teach' or 'teach about'? Options
Koh Elaine
Posted: Tuesday, April 18, 2017 1:26:46 PM

Neurons: 7,059
Most people, other than Buddhists, do not know nor/or believe in the three existences of life, as the major religions of the world do not teach it/teach about it.

1. Should it be 'nor' or 'or'?
2. Should it be 'teach it' or 'teach about it'?

Thanks.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Tuesday, April 18, 2017 2:59:16 PM

Neurons: 131,113
Hello!

On the first question, you should wait for someone who is knows.
I only know what 'sounds right' to me.
In my opinion, the "do not" is distributed across the two verbs. It can be expanded as "Most people, other than Buddhists, do not know or do not believe in the three existences of life."

So I would say "Most people, other than Buddhists, do not know or believe in the three existences of life."

If it were worded in a different (slightly more formal) manner, one could use 'nor'.
"Most people, other than Buddhists, neither know nor believe in the three existences of life."

I would use "teach about it", as it is one part of a whole philosophy (even though it is a BIG part).

I teach French. (French is the whole subject).
I teach about the "genderisation" of nouns in French. (This is just part of the subject).

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
FounDit
Posted: Tuesday, April 18, 2017 3:08:39 PM

Neurons: 41,146
Koh Elaine wrote:
Most people, other than Buddhists, do not know nor/or believe in the three existences of life, as the major religions of the world do not teach it/teach about it.

1. Should it be 'nor' or 'or'?
There is a problem with the wording. Two different things concerning the three existences are being discussed: knowledge and belief. In this sentence, a person can know about something, and believe in it, or know about something and not believe it. Since the idea is that most do not know about, or believe in it, it should be:
"Most people, other than Buddhists, do not know about, or believe in, the three existences of life, as the major religions of the world do not teach it"

"Nor" would not be used because you are discussing two different things, so it should be one "or" the other.

To use "nor" you would have: "Most people neither know about, nor believe in..." This is using the "neither/nor" form.

2. Should it be 'teach it' or 'teach about it'?

"teach it" would be correct. The word "it" represents knowledge of the three existences spoken about.

DragOnspeaker was faster than I was in posting.

Thanks.

A great many people will think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices. ~ William James ~
NKM
Posted: Tuesday, April 18, 2017 3:29:09 PM

Neurons: 127,620
I note that DragO and FounDit have different opinions as to whether "teach it " or "teach about it " is the better choice.

They are right!

Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Tuesday, April 18, 2017 3:35:23 PM

Neurons: 131,113
FounDit wrote:
DragOnspeaker was faster than I was in posting.

But FounDit spotted the error in the sentence.
"Most people, other than Buddhists, do not know about, or believe in, the three existences of life . . ." sounds MUCH better.

Thank you, NKM, for your words of wisdom. Eh?
Yes - I think that the use of "about" is a matter of opinion.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!