Jeff Foxworthy Options
almostfreebird
Posted: Monday, December 17, 2012 11:56:27 AM

Neurons: 7,024
Hello there, I have a question.

quote from this thread:

"you know you're a redneck when your name is Jeff Foxworthy."

I do not understand.
I mean, why you're a redneck when your name is Jeff Foxworthy?

Thank you very much.

FounDit
Posted: Monday, December 17, 2012 12:21:40 PM

Neurons: 41,197
In the other thread, Hope2 wrote:

There is a southern US comedian who makes fun of his own heritage/accent but I can't think of his name. ''You are a redneck when...'

Jeff Foxworthy is the comedian she was trying to remember. He is known for using the line, "...you might be a redneck".

It was my way of reminding her of the name she was trying to remember. I need to remember that there are so many here from other cultures, and I should make myself more clear in my responses. Sorry, afb.

A great many people will think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices. ~ William James ~
excaelis
Posted: Monday, December 17, 2012 12:25:48 PM

Neurons: 32,652
JF - You May Be A Redneck...

My personal faves ?

If your wife's hairdo has ever been destroyed by a ceiling fan.

If you think family reunions are a good place to meet women.

Sanity is not statistical
variant view
Posted: Monday, December 17, 2012 12:34:06 PM

Neurons: 27
The best answer I can come up with, which I believe to be a pretty good one. Since, I did spend many years of my life in Muskogee, Oklahoma, and do understand this "red-neck" colloquial language.

Jeff Foxworthy is the American "red-neck" comedian who coined the phrase, "You know you're a red-neck when..." He is like the big-daddy red-neck, and founder of the present genre. However, there are a slew of this type of "down home" examples or archetypes that flow through American comedy or language. For example in the 1970s, I believe, we had a comedy series that was quite popular called "Hee-Haw" (which is the sound a donkey makes). In the 1980s, I believe, there was this big joke about going "snipe hunting." I don't think there is or were such an elusive creature. However, it was the code for "Men's Night Out" out in the woods that is- each awakening at awful wee hours of the morning, only to freeze while sitting (or possibly snoring) in a tree stand and covered in female deer urine- waiting for their prey, a large racked buck. Or, it could be code for any other gathering/event that was just as macho yet yielded no tangible rewards.

Does that help at all?
variant view
redgriffin
Posted: Monday, December 17, 2012 2:27:54 PM

Neurons: 68,131
For those of you who don't know the term redneck:

redneck [ˈrɛdˌnɛk]
n Disparaging
1. (in the southwestern US) a poor uneducated White farm worker
2. a person or institution that is extremely reactionary
adj
reactionary and bigoted redneck laws
Though I would argue with the area being more South then Southwestern. Another term for this type of person is a cracker.
Hope2
Posted: Monday, December 17, 2012 4:52:43 PM

Neurons: 16,769
Jeff Foxworthy with his humor made the term less derogatory. He is proud to be a redneck. Now everybody claims to be a redneck.

I remember hearing where the term originated and do not have time to research where the red came from.

Most of the trouble in the world is caused by people wanting to be important. T. S. Eliot
jacobusmaximus
Posted: Monday, December 17, 2012 5:50:22 PM

Neurons: 295,574
I always thought the term referred to white manual labourers who worked in the sun without adequate clothing so their necks got red with sunburn. More affluent workers could afford better clothing. Better educated people had office jobs so didn't get sunburned.

A clear conscience is the sign of a fuzzy memory.
RuthP
Posted: Monday, December 17, 2012 6:10:06 PM

Neurons: 33,278
It most likely originated more than once. The oldest reference I've been able to find is to Scottish Protestants in the early 1600s, who apparently wore red neckerchiefs to signify signing the Covenant to oppose rule by the bishops.

Most usages in the U.S. seem to have arisen in reference to (usually poor) people who worked outside, and thus tended to be sunburned on the back of the neck. It was not a complimentary term, but it probably wasn't as bad as the N-term, which was used for non-whites. There is a claim it was used in colonial times, to refer to indentured servants who worked outside.

It also arose in the labor movement. In the 1921 West Virginia coal miners strike, which resulted in the massacre at Matewan and the Battle of Blair Mountain, union miners wore red neckerchiefs as a badge of union membership. They were called rednecks by the mine owners and scabs, who crossed the picket lines.

This is a part of probably the bloodiest period workers rights conflicts in the U.S. The owners had hired a private detective agency which specialized in union busting; an anti-union local sheriff raised a private armed force to fight the miners, which included private planes which dropped homemade bombs on the miners (legend has it the red necks were targeted); president Harding threatened to send federal troops and bombers to break up the strikers. Bombers were eventually used for surveillance, but as far as I know all bombing was done by private planes.
jacobusmaximus
Posted: Tuesday, December 18, 2012 7:11:49 AM

Neurons: 295,574
The Land of the Free, eh, Ruth?

A clear conscience is the sign of a fuzzy memory.
almostfreebird
Posted: Tuesday, December 18, 2012 7:45:18 AM

Neurons: 7,024

I am a fan of Jeff Foxworthy now.

Thank you very much!

almo 1
Posted: Tuesday, April 18, 2017 2:02:35 AM

Neurons: 1,670

Jeff Foxworthy

Full Stand Up Show