The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

What does " curing parts " mean? Options
Aventador LP700-4
Posted: Monday, April 17, 2017 1:29:57 AM

Neurons: 10,192
I came across this phrase here:

Besides being time-intensive, the carbon-fiber manufacturing process is also an energy hog. The storage freezers and occasional blast with the hair dryer are minor compared to the autoclave, a pressurized oven used to cure finished parts. My particular hunk of hand-laid goodness will bake in the oven for six hours at nearly 400 degrees, all while under six times the normal atmospheric pressure.

What does it mean by curing parts?

Source:
http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/technology/a25131/carbon-fiber-miracle-material/

mactoria
Posted: Monday, April 17, 2017 2:11:51 AM

Neurons: 942,290
Aventador LP700-4 wrote:
I came across this phrase here:

Besides being time-intensive, the carbon-fiber manufacturing process is also an energy hog. The storage freezers and occasional blast with the hair dryer are minor compared to the autoclave, a pressurized oven used to cure finished parts. My particular hunk of hand-laid goodness will bake in the oven for six hours at nearly 400 degrees, all while under six times the normal atmospheric pressure.

What does it mean by curing parts?

Source:
http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/technology/a25131/carbon-fiber-miracle-material/

Aventador: "Curing parts" in this instance refers to the process of preserving or finishing a part. An autoclave is a type of oven that bakes things like utensils, medical instruments, or 'carbon-fiber' parts (like in this quote) in very high heat to sterilize them or harden them. Sounds like in this quote, the carbon-fiber part is put in an autoclave oven to harden it to its final/near-final version. Hope this explains it for you; check the TFD dictionary for the word "cure" as an intransitive verb, definition #2.