The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Chic-show Options
Jigneshbharati
Posted: Sunday, April 16, 2017 1:52:28 AM

Neurons: 3,143
Begum Jaan takes the basic idea that private will and freedom has some relevance in the face of a public decision and stretches that idea into a chic-show of anarchy. And it’s this 'I am a punk, Oh yeahhh!' philosophy that the film then goes ahead and applies to its treatises about men and misogyny.
Is "chic-show" a compound noun made up of adj+noun and what does it mean?
Thanks in advance.

https://m.rediff.com/movies/report/begum-jaan-review-a-vidya-balan-summer-project-with-a-cold-sadistic-heart/20170414.htm
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Sunday, April 16, 2017 3:04:45 AM

Neurons: 136,989
I really have no idea what the writer is saying - because I have never heard of Begum Jaan or Vidya Balan - so have no idea how anarchy, misogyny and men come together.

However - from the whole paragraph - I think it is like a compound noun formed from 'show' and the attributive noun 'anarchy chic' or 'punk chic'.

chic noun
. . .
2. any of various fashion movements based on a particular lifestyle: radical chic; geek chic.

Collins English Dictionary

It is a film based on and showing all the things which people who consider themselves to be "punks and anarchists" consider fashionable (Goth make-up, objectionable language, sadism, anything designed to violate the mores of the society they are rebelling against).

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
Jigneshbharati
Posted: Sunday, April 16, 2017 3:17:55 AM

Thanks Drago! The article is a review on a movie called Begum Jaan.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Sunday, April 16, 2017 4:13:36 AM

Neurons: 136,989
Ah! - I read it as "Begum Jaan, the director" or "Begum Jaan, the script-writer".
I couldn't originally see the whole article (I've changed computers now, so I've read it).

The reviewer is saying that the whole thing is a bit "over-done", which is one of the implications of "chic".
Someone who is not a computer-wizard, dressing and acting like they suppose a real 'geek' would, is "Geek chic".

This is "Punk chic"

This is a punk

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
Jigneshbharati
Posted: Sunday, April 16, 2017 4:43:34 AM

Thanks