The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Natural Science - Orcas on Display in Howe Sound! Options
Hope123
Posted: Thursday, April 13, 2017 11:14:09 AM

Neurons: 42,832
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/orcas-killer-whales-howe-sound-1.4067677

http://www.cbc.ca/player/play/919725635960/

Short video.

Until he extends the circle of his compassion to all living things, man will not himself find peace. Albert Schweitzer
thar
Posted: Thursday, April 13, 2017 1:58:28 PM

Neurons: 65,355
Wow, cool.
Feel sorry for the poor sea-lion, even though I love orcas!

I often wonder what whales think about humans and boats. Demons, predators, fellow creatures, aliens? I know that sounds silly, but they have high level cognition and negotiate relationships, spaces and seasons, and not just by instinct - they must have a worldview. Think
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Friday, April 14, 2017 4:59:44 AM

Neurons: 153,794
They see the eyeballs in the sky . . .

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
Epiphileon
Posted: Friday, April 14, 2017 5:00:52 AM

Neurons: 59,744
Great video Hope, but those people definitely need a bigger boat!

Thar I often wonder about sea mammals and consciousness, many certainly do exhibit behaviors indicative of it. I'm not sure though, how to even begin to wonder about what they may think of us. There is no doubt they are aware of us. I also think, that if they are conscious, they are more aware that we are than we are that they are.
Which I suppose is the beginning of conjecturing what they may think of us, but that is as far as I've been able to take it.

Question authority. How do you know, that you know, what you know?
Hope123
Posted: Friday, April 14, 2017 7:19:02 PM

Neurons: 42,832
I think many animals and even very young humans are a lot more aware than we used to give them credit for. Maybe we are the ones who are not intelligent enough to communicate with them - not the other way around. 😀

(Hope I'm not repeating myself.) We stayed three months on a bay called Mismaloya just outside Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. (Best holiday my entire life.) A baby whale had gotten lost in a neighboring bay. Fishermen caught it and brought it to our shallower bay and left it. When the mother found her baby, she was so overcome with joy that she breached in the water right in front of us on the beach with a noise so loud that everybody came running to see what had happened. She and her baby then swam away into deeper water. What a joyous sight to see.

I agree about the boat size on the ocean, Epi. That's the size we had on a lake in Northern Ontario and when the wind was up creating huge swells it felt as if we needed a bigger boat even there.

Edited - I got my husband to look at the video and he said it is even smaller than the one we had!

Until he extends the circle of his compassion to all living things, man will not himself find peace. Albert Schweitzer