The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

The American Civil War Ends at Appomattox Court House (1865) Options
Daemon
Posted: Sunday, April 09, 2017 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 62,568
The American Civil War Ends at Appomattox Court House (1865)

The first major engagement of the US Civil War was the First Battle of Bull Run, fought in 1861 partly on the farm of Wilmer McLean in Manassas, Virginia. A few years later, McLean moved to Appomattox Court House, a town which, coincidentally, would soon be the site of the war's effective end. It was there that Confederate General Robert E. Lee surrendered to Union General Ulysses S. Grant in McLean's parlor. Why did Grant stop Union troops when they began to celebrate the victory? More...
olddogg eleventy2
Posted: Sunday, April 09, 2017 10:08:42 AM

Neurons: 292,308
for some reason my life has been greatly affected by the american civil war. when i was a child i took great interest in it. most of my historical reading is about or related to the civil war. i have found that i did have relatives on both sides. one was with the cavalry in grants army of the west from kentucky....two others with lees army under beull... and were at gettysburg.... i read some of these stories about the actions of some of these men, both good and bad, and i some time well-up and get a little blubbery.....i have know clue why i feel so drawn to this event in history. i'm a veteren myself, vietnam, but i still look at the american civil war for some reason.....weird!
Bully_rus
Posted: Sunday, April 09, 2017 12:24:20 PM

Neurons: 118,041
olddogg eleventy2 wrote:
for some reason my life has been greatly affected by the american civil war. when i was a child i took great interest in it. most of my historical reading is about or related to the civil war. i have found that i did have relatives on both sides. one was with the cavalry in grants army of the west from kentucky....two others with lees army under beull... and were at gettysburg.... i read some of these stories about the actions of some of these men, both good and bad, and i some time well-up and get a little blubbery.....i have know clue why i feel so drawn to this event in history. i'm a veteren myself, vietnam, but i still look at the american civil war for some reason.....weird!

It was the generous and passionate sharing... Thanks, man.
Bully_rus
Posted: Sunday, April 09, 2017 12:24:21 PM

Neurons: 118,041