The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

St Patrick's Day Options
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Saturday, March 18, 2017 10:50:18 AM

Neurons: 144,930
I know a couple of people have mentioned St Patrick in other threads, but no-one gave the day a thread of its own.

Here's a report of the US President and the Irish Taoiseach (First Minister) celebrating at the White House.

Irish Independent News

Hope you all had a great day.
Edinburgh was a madhouse, crowded with people in funny green hats . . .

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
Харбин Хэйлунцзян 1
Posted: Saturday, March 18, 2017 12:03:30 PM

Neurons: 288,704
Drag0nspeaker wrote:
Hope you all had a great day.

Irish people celebrate it in Moscow every year.
This year the Russian Orthodox Church has acknowledged St. Patrick as a saint but because they use the Julian Calendar St Patrick's day will be observed on March 30.

აბა ყვავებს ვინ დაიჭერს, კარგო? გალიაში ბულბულები ზიან.
Hope123
Posted: Saturday, March 18, 2017 1:53:19 PM

Neurons: 39,299
Yes, it was an excellent speech, Drago.

Do you think Trump got the message? Some of the American press thought it was great. Others called it "lecturing" on immigration.

Many Irish didn't want him to go to Washington and now T "is invited" back.

I love the Irish accent - and the Scottish, and the English accents.

::::::

Some Irish, however, were not too impressed by the D.C. welcome.

One tweeter said that in spite of how "Trump scrupulously checks his sources", he didn't think the quote was Irish. I didn't think golf was invented in Ireland, either. 😇

My son was particularly upset by the Guinness that looked like it was either old or coke. He went on and on about it! 😀And he's not even Irish!

"Green Party Falls Flat at the White House" - by Samantha Schmidt of the Washington Post.

https://www.pressreader.com/canada/toronto-star/20170318/281586650413000

::::

I imagine there was lots of celebrating in Canada too. Green beer, green hair...

Thanks for the good wishes. Except that our son and his wife came on a surprise visit, it was just another Friday in our household. Nobody even wore green. Could it be the Scottish heritage? 😈

Equality is when you see a person - not a label.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Saturday, March 18, 2017 2:25:33 PM

Hope wrote:
Could it be the Scottish heritage? 😈

The odd thing is that "Scotia" was the Roman name for Ireland.

The Scotii were an Irish branch of the pre-Anglo-Saxon local race.

The Scots are immigrants in Scotland (I don't think there are any people left who can definitively say that they are 'native' (the race in Scotland at that time were Pictish).

Glasgow Celtic (one of the top football teams in Britain) has green as its colour, the shamrock as its emblem and often use the colours of the Irish flag (green, white, orange):

Hope123
Posted: Saturday, March 18, 2017 11:33:44 PM

Neurons: 39,299
Drago, Very interesting! And surprising!

The only things I know about Scottish heritage are kilts, clans and their plaids, bagpipes, and dances. It is my husband whose Scottish parents met on the boat to Canada and married six years later who may know more of the history from when he did his genealogy and historical studies.

My ancestors are from England. Is it true that Marleybone is a posh neighborhood now?

Neither of us have ever bothered with "St. Paddy's" Day. But I think it is catching on even more now in Canada - friends are off to parties tonight all dressed in costume.

Wasn't there some kind of big soccer game today that the Irish won against England? I don't follow soccer. (Or sports except baseball and the Blue Jays.)

Edit - I just asked him - he only knew about the Glasgow Celtics and not the history of peoples. He was interested to read your post.

Equality is when you see a person - not a label.
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Sunday, March 19, 2017 11:39:28 AM

Neurons: 274,167
Some of you might know that a day before it was St. Urho's Day. Some of you might also know that this is nothing but a Finno-Irish conspiracy to have two days in a row to consume beer with two hands.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Monday, March 20, 2017 8:10:56 AM

he was a hero because he saved the Finnish grape crop from the grasshoppers . . .

Finnish grapes? A special cool-weather breed, I presume.

I can't see anything about England/Ireland soccer - you probably heard of the 6-nations Rugby game on Friday.
Ireland won by 13 - 9.

Rugby is a bit more 'geltlemanly' than soccer.

I don't really know Marylebone - except as a space on the Monopoly board!

Apparently, Marylebone Village is part of the manor of Tyburn (of gallows fame).
The manor in total was valued at fifty-two shillings in 1068, in the Domesday Book.
The church of St Mary at the Bourne was built a few centuries later, and the village took on that name.

Charles Dickens and Edward Gibbon lived and wrote there, Oxford Street and Regent's Park are in the village - and of course the cricket team which some people mistakenly consider to be the England team is actually the MCC - Marylebone Cricket Club.

Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Monday, March 20, 2017 8:27:06 AM

Neurons: 274,167
Those days it was a bit warmer... ;-)

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Monday, March 20, 2017 3:04:36 PM

Neurons: 4,353
Drag0nspeaker wrote:
he was a hero because he saved the Finnish grape crop from the grasshoppers . . .

Finnish grapes? A special cool-weather breed, I presume.

I can't see anything about England/Ireland soccer - you probably heard of the 6-nations Rugby game on Friday.
Ireland won by 13 - 9.

Rugby is a bit more 'geltlemanly' than soccer.

I don't really know Marylebone - except as a space on the Monopoly board!

Apparently, Marylebone Village is part of the manor of Tyburn (of gallows fame).
The manor in total was valued at fifty-two shillings in 1068, in the Domesday Book.
The church of St Mary at the Bourne was built a few centuries later, and the village took on that name.

Charles Dickens and Edward Gibbon lived and wrote there, Oxford Street and Regent's Park are in the village - and of course the cricket team which some people mistakenly consider to be the England team is actually the MCC - Marylebone Cricket Club.

The Rugby Union football,match was on Saturday not Friday but that's a minor point, Ireland beat England stopping them completing a ' Grandslam' victory they had won the championship already and them getting a world record wining streak.

The M.C.C. is the home of the governing body of worldwide Cricket, but the England and Wales team is controlled by the ECB not Lords.

I lack the imagination for a witty signature.