The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Which is the correct sentence? Options
Koh Elaine
Posted: Saturday, March 18, 2017 9:37:50 PM

Neurons: 7,000
1. Children from wealthier backgrounds will have access to better opportunities, increasing the/their chance/chances of/for a bright future.

2 Children from wealthier backgrounds will have access to better opportunities, increasing the/their chance/chances of/for bright futures.

Which are the correct choices?

I think the sentence should be "Children from wealthier backgrounds will have access to better opportunities, increasing their chances for a bright future".

Thanks.
You know who I am
Posted: Saturday, March 18, 2017 10:16:01 PM

Neurons: 4,156
Koh Elaine wrote:
1. Children from wealthier backgrounds will have access to better opportunities, increasing the/their chance/chances of/for a bright future.

2 Children from wealthier backgrounds will have access to better opportunities, increasing the/their chance/chances of/for bright futures.

Which are the correct choices?

I think the sentence should be "Children from wealthier backgrounds will have access to better opportunities, increasing their chances for a bright future".

Thanks.

Hi, Koh Elaine.

Both sentences are correct; however, they imply a slightly different meaning:

1: Implies that the opportunities will increase their chances of/for a bright future.
2: Implies that the opportunities will increase the chances of/for a bright future.

So, technically, there are no differences between both since "opportunities" already refer to the the children's chances.

"of or for a bright future" is also the same, both are prepositional phrases acting as an adjective describing change/s.

"chance or chances", it's also up to you, if you mean several chances, then use plural, if not, use the singular.

I am the way, and the truth and the life, no one comes to the Father except through Me. - John 14:6
Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Sunday, March 19, 2017 1:17:11 AM

Neurons: 61,327

"Children from the wealthier backgrounds will have access to better opportunities, increasing their chances of a brighter future".

What about my view, You know who I am?

Me Gathering Pebbles at The Seashore.-Aj
You know who I am
Posted: Sunday, March 19, 2017 9:07:42 AM

Neurons: 4,156
Ashwin Joshi wrote:

"Children from the wealthier backgrounds will have access to better opportunities, increasing their chances of a brighter future".

What about my view, You know who I am?

Just great, Ashwin!

Dancing

I am the way, and the truth and the life, no one comes to the Father except through Me. - John 14:6