The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Pregnant at the age of 50? Options
Kunstniete
Posted: Friday, February 24, 2017 1:52:32 AM

Neurons: 171,907
Don't misunderstand me, I'm usually not at all interested in this promi-gossip-trash-things, but when I heard about a famous person who is 50 years old and just got pregnant, I felt quite anxious.

The whole media seems to agree that "she should be in menopause since a couple of years" and "it's so amazing" and blablabla. But nobody ever asked about the child. And I'm not talking the massive age difference here (imagine your mother would be 60 when you're 10 Eh? ), but strictly from a genetic point of view. When you're over 30 years old you can almost feel genetics getting worse with time and hey, there's this biological clock thing. Mutations accumulate in the human body over time, which means that a pregnant woman at 50 carries more genetic disorders than the same woman at younger ages. That's not only important for the woman, but even more for the baby.

I'm not trying to tell anyone how to behave, I'm just worried about the media's indifference concerning the child's health. Of course, every woman should be free to get pregnant whenever she wants. All I'm trying to say is that there should be a certain level of awareness of risks and dangers.
For more information, ask google about Caroline Beil.

The value of choice is not in the size of the action but in its effect.
srirr
Posted: Friday, February 24, 2017 4:02:28 AM

Neurons: 166,568
This is something to look at with different angles. Of course the health issues are there. Conceiving in 50s or later may cause health problems to the mother and baby as well. Its not easy. Risks and dangers certainly increase with age. And then comes the question of bringing up the child. An ageing mother has to face more difficulties in even simple-looking daily chores of a child. Even if the news concerns some celebrity who can hire a bandwagon of nannies, the mother-baby touch is affected.
It also leads to social talks of course.

Although there have been several cases like this, but if I recall correctly there are some rules in a few countries stating a lady should not conceive after a certain age.

We are responsible for what we are, and whatever we wish ourselves to be, we have the power to make ourselves. ~ Swami Vivekanand
Hope123
Posted: Friday, February 24, 2017 10:21:12 AM

Neurons: 42,117
I checked a site about Janet Jackson written by a doctor and from only the POV of risks of the mother. But it does mention that there is less than one percent chance of getting pregnant at age 50 with eggs produced at that age. Eggs may have been frozen or may be from a donor.

But yes, there are risks at any age and they get worse as either parent ages. Risks to both the mother and child. Seems to me that one of the higher risks is a Down's Syndrome child but I would have to check statistics to say that.

Digression - I see that there are indications of a connection (note I did not say cause) between viruses in pregnancy and autism. They think it is the mother's immune system response to the virus and not the virus itself. They are doing more testing. So this would be a risk at any age. Herpes was one of the viruses studied and so were parasites.

Even having grandchildren come for a visit when you are in your fifties is exhausting. I would never want to be starting parenthood at age 50!

(srirr - have I told you I like that signature?)

A smile is a curve that sets everything straight. Phyllis Diller
Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Thursday, March 16, 2017 12:24:58 PM

Neurons: 67,066

Me Gathering Pebbles at The Seashore.-Aj
Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Thursday, March 16, 2017 12:37:24 PM

Neurons: 67,066
A Jewish woman went to the doctor's clinic and was examined by one of the new young doctors.
After about four minutes in the examination room, she started screaming and ran down the hall.

An older doctor stopped her and asked what the problem was, and she told him her story.

After listening, he told her to sit down and relax in another room.

The older doctor marched down the hallway to the back where the first doctor was and demanded,
"What's the matter with you? Mrs. Terry is 63 years old, she has four grown children and seven grandchildren,
and you told her she was pregnant?"

The new doctor continued to write on his clipboard and, without looking up, said, "Does she still have the hiccups?"
Dancing Dancing Dancing

Me Gathering Pebbles at The Seashore.-Aj
Wilmar (USA)
Posted: Friday, March 17, 2017 11:48:31 AM

Neurons: 197,163
When we were seniors in high school, the mother of one of my classmates became pregnant, because she and her Mr. thought they were past the time when she could become pregnant. They already had 5 children, the youngest the senior in high school.
Romany
Posted: Saturday, March 18, 2017 5:30:37 AM

Neurons: 40,793

My mother was 45 when she had me. Because she was incredibly active, busy (and exotic-looking), I was never aware of any limitations her age may have placed on her.

At the age of 80 she swam an entire length of an olympic swimming pool underwater...leaving me panting & gasping after doing one width!

My Godmother, for her 80th, had her first bikini wax and went off on a water-skiing holiday. She also had a daughter the same age as I, so must also have given birth around the same time as my mother did, in her mid-40's.

We never even realised it was a big deal.