The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

I want to share a cup of coffee with you and Kevin. Options
Nikitus
Posted: Friday, March 17, 2017 8:55:00 AM

Neurons: 906
Hello.

First of all, I want to thank all your help and time to improve my written english.

Are the following grammatically correct?

-"I want to share a cup of coffee with you and Kevin. I want to talk to him. Maybe he will finally close that episode of his life.", Kelly said.
-"Forget it Kelly, that‘s out of the question. Maybe he has taken a little longer to forget the whole episode. But you were really cruel to him.", Tim replied.

Thanks.
You know who I am
Posted: Friday, March 17, 2017 9:34:26 AM

Neurons: 3,584
Nikitus wrote:
Hello.

First of all, I want to thank all your help and time to improve my written english.

Are the following grammatically correct?

-"I want to share a cup of coffee with you and Kevin and want to talk to him. Maybe he will finally close that episode of his life.", Kelly said.

-"Forget it Kelly, that‘s out of the question. Maybe he has taken a little longer to forget the whole episode, but you were really cruel to him.", Tim replied.

The coordinating conjunction and in "with you and Kevin and I want to" was used in order to join two main (independent) sentences which share similar or related ideas; therefore, since "I want to share a cup of coffe with you and Kevin" and "I want to talk to him" share similar ideas, you could just join them together; it sounds much more natural.

The comma in "whole episode, but you" was used in order to join two simple sentences into a compound one.
Coordinating conjunctions (and. for, but, or..) can join two simple sentences, forming a compound sentence; if the subject of the sentence is different from the other, then you have to use a comma: "He has taken a little longer to forget the whole episode, but you were really cruel to him", and if the subject is the same in both sentences, then you don't need a comma: "He has taken a little longer to forget the whole episode but (he) was really cruel to him". However, you can only do this if the subject of the sentence is the same, E.G: "He has taken a little longer to forget the whole episode, but was really cruel to him. Here, was really cruel to him" is the action taken by the subject "he", not by "you".

The statements, by themselves, are great.

Jesus, He is the way, the truth and the life, no one gets to the Father if not through Him.
thar
Posted: Friday, March 17, 2017 9:36:32 AM

Neurons: 58,186
Grammatically seems OK to me.

Punctuation!
Check out how to punctuate speech again.
It may seem irrelevant to the grammar, but believe me, if it is wrong, it stops the reader and pulls them out of the story.
, or .
Not both, one after the other.
A full stop ends the sentence.
If you are continuing the sentence after the speech (for instance saying who said it) you need to use a comma.

To share something:

Can they only afford one cup of coffee for the three of them to share? Whistle

If he has a cup of coffee with them, they would get one each.
(I am aware some people may use this idiom, but it does make me chuckle. Whistle )

Edit
Started before post above, so I if that picks up any errors I am not contradicting that.
whatson
Posted: Friday, March 17, 2017 9:39:06 AM

Neurons: 1,537
When the two agents invited Litvinenko for tea to a London hotel, he should
have been immediately suspicious seeing THREE! cups on the table.
Obviously the two did not want to share A = ONE = THE SAME cup with him.
Alexsander
Posted: Friday, March 17, 2017 7:50:15 PM

Neurons: 479
I like a good cup of coffee in the morning.