The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Conditional sentences type 1 and 2 Options
DavidLearn
Posted: Thursday, March 16, 2017 1:41:24 PM

Neurons: 21,216
Hi teachers,
The whole idea is to practice conditional sentences type 1 and 2. What Jimmy said is taken from the movie 100 Feet and there are about 6-8 sentences like the one below in the same movie segment.

This is the original sentence:
Jimmy: If you attempt to remove the electronic ankle bracelet, an alarm will automatically alert the police.
1. What will happen if she attempts to remove the electronic ankle bracelet?
An alarm will automatically alert the police.
2. In which case an alarm will automatically alert the police?
If she attempts to remove the electronic ankle bracelet.

What Jimmy said above is a conditional sentence type 1. That said, will it be a good idea to ask the students to change it to a conditional sentence type 2? If so, the students will have to write what Jimmy said and the questions after that, like this:

Jimmy: If you attempted to remove the electronic ankle bracelet, an alarm would automatically alert the police.
1. What would happened if she attempted to remove the electronic ankle bracelet?
An alarm would automatically alert the police.
2. In which case an alarm would automatically alert the police?
If she attempted to remove the electronic ankle bracelet.

Thanks.
FROSTY X RIME
Posted: Thursday, March 16, 2017 6:10:06 PM

Neurons: 9,874
I will not recommend you should give such exercises to your students because conditional type 1 and type 2 are not interchangeable. If you give them such a task, they will start forming an idea that they are interchangeable.

Conditional type 2 conveys an idea of improbable situation, for example, the sentence if I were a bird, I could fly carries a meaning that because I am not a bird, I cannot fly. The condition of my flying is an impossible task to accomplish because I am not a bird.

But conditional type 1 conveys an idea of probable situation, for example, the sentence if you put on the switch, the light will come on carries a meaning that you can switch on a light-which can be possibly accomplished.

What should be shall be-The fellowship of the ring-
DavidLearn
Posted: Thursday, March 16, 2017 6:15:30 PM

FROSTY X RIME wrote:
I will not recommend you should give such exercises to your students because conditional type 1 and type 2 are not interchangeable. If you give them such a task, they will start forming an idea that they are interchangeable.

Conditional type 2 conveys an idea of improbable situation, for example, the sentence if I were a bird, I could fly carries a meaning that because I am not a bird, I cannot fly. The condition of my flying is an impossible task to accomplish because I am not a bird.

But conditional type 1 conveys an idea of probable situation, for example, the sentence if you put on the switch, the light will come on carries a meaning that you can switch on a light-which can be possibly accomplished.

Hello FXR,
Got it. Now I see that if I do that, the students will start forming an idea that they are interchangeable.
One last attempt: If I tell them such differences between type 1 and 2, will it work?
Best,
David.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Thursday, March 16, 2017 7:30:28 PM

Neurons: 144,933
Hello David.

I don't know the answer to that question, so I'm not going to try.

However, on another subject, your question "2. In which case an alarm will automatically alert the police?" needs an interrogatory inversion:
2. In which case will an alarm automatically alert the police?

Edited to add: it is the same with "an alarm would" and "would an alarm".

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
NKM
Posted: Friday, March 17, 2017 12:16:13 AM

Neurons: 168,904
Hi, David -

I've never mastered the intricate technicalities of the "types" of conditional sentences.

But I too was struck by the weird structure of form 2, which is not a sentence at all but a dependent clause. As DragO points out, it needs an inversion.
- "In which case will/would an alarm …?"

DavidLearn
Posted: Friday, March 17, 2017 1:10:01 AM

Drag0nspeaker wrote:
Hello David.

I don't know the answer to that question, so I'm not going to try.[/color]

Hi Drag0n,
Thanks for your comments. I just thought that it would be a good idea to change from Type 1 to type 2 and tell them the differences in meaning and show them the different tenses they use to construct one type and the other.

Drag0nspeaker wrote:

However, on another subject, your question "2. In which case an alarm will automatically alert the police?" needs an interrogatory inversion:
[b]2. In which case will an alarm automatically alert the police?

Edited to add: it is the same with "an alarm would" and "would an alarm".

Got it. I appreciate the correction. I really didn't see it before.

Best,
David.
DavidLearn
Posted: Friday, March 17, 2017 1:12:42 AM

NKM wrote:
Hi, David -

I've never mastered the intricate technicalities of the "types" of conditional sentences.

But I too was struck by the weird structure of form 2, which is not a sentence at all but a dependent clause. As DragO points out, it needs an inversion.
- "In which case will/would an alarm …?"

Hi NKM,
In fact, there are lots of conditional sentences, but in this lesson I have to deal with type 1 and 2.
I also appreciate that you have corrected my mistake.

Best,
David.