The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

There lies at the back of every creed something terrible and hard for which the worshiper may one day be required to suffer. Options
Daemon
Posted: Saturday, March 11, 2017 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 64,254
There lies at the back of every creed something terrible and hard for which the worshiper may one day be required to suffer.

E. M. Forster (1879-1970)
KSPavan
Posted: Saturday, March 11, 2017 12:26:29 AM

Neurons: 1,874,009
Quotation of the Day

There lies at the back of every creed something terrible and hard for which the worshiper may one day be required to suffer.

karlajagan
Posted: Saturday, March 11, 2017 7:14:28 AM

Neurons: 22,454
It is just right, you can not follow any creed without expecting one day some dark secret will come out of it. At that time be prepare to accept this belief is somehow crooked.
monamagda
Posted: Saturday, March 11, 2017 8:58:59 AM

Neurons: 3,501,674
Context from :"What I Believe"

Starting from them, I get a little order into the contemporary chaos. One must be fond of people and trust them if one isn’t to make a mess of life, and it is therefore essential that they shouldn’t let one down. They often do. The moral of which is that I must myself be as reliable as possible. And this I try to be. But reliability isn’t a matter of contract... It is a matter for the heart. In other words, reliability is impossible unless there is a natural warmth. Most men possess this warmth, though they often have bad luck and get chilled. Most of them, even when they are politicians, want to keep faith. And one can, at all events, show one’s own little light here, one’s own poor little trembling flame, with the knowledge that it’s not only the only light that is shining in the darkness, and not the only one which the darkness doesn’t comprehend. Personal relations are despised today. They are regarded as bourgeois luxuries, as products of a time of fair weather which has now passed, and we are urged to get rid of them, and to dedicate ourselves to some movement or cause instead. I hate the idea of dying for a cause, and if I had to choose between betraying my country and betraying my friend, I hope I should have the guts to betray my country. Such a choice may scandalise the ... reader... It wouldn’t have shocked Dante, though. Dante places Brutus and Cassius in the lowest circles of Hell because they had chosen to betray their friend Julius Caesar rather than their country Rome. Probably one won’t be asked to make such an agonizing choice. Still there lies at the back of every creed something terrible and hard for which the worshipper may one day be required to suffer, and there is even a terror and hardness in this creed of personal relationships, urbane and mild though it sounds. Love and loyalty to an individual can run counter to the claims of the state. When they do — down with the state, say I, which means that the state will down me.

http://www.skeptic.ca/EM_Forster_What_I_Believe.htm
Bully_rus
Posted: Saturday, March 11, 2017 11:35:14 AM

Neurons: 122,127
Daemon wrote:

Every creed is only worth as much as people are ready to pay for it, including sufferings and lives.
Verbatim
Posted: Saturday, March 11, 2017 3:42:33 PM

Neurons: 218,539
Daemon wrote:

That is the part, at the back, which usually is obscured, but the creed may come with a telling price.

Those of us, moderately or desperately, wanting “to belong”, had better looked upfront at what must be given up, before the joy of belonging is shared… with the sorrows and suffering.