The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Do You Know About Single-celled Human?(21) Options
Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Sunday, February 19, 2017 10:13:44 AM

Neurons: 72,530
Each human body cell is a zygote i.e. made-up of two cells, one from male and the other from female but every human spent about half an hour as a single cell. Do you agree?

Me Gathering Pebbles at The Seashore.-Aj
woodye85741
Posted: Sunday, February 19, 2017 10:58:18 AM

Neurons: 68,569
no, as cells have yet to exchange DNA strands;amongst other criteria
almo 1
Posted: Sunday, February 19, 2017 11:45:03 AM

Neurons: 5,715

I don't know much about "cell", but

Re-Animator was awesome!

Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Monday, February 20, 2017 10:02:47 AM

Neurons: 169,990
I think you may be right (not sure about the "half an hour" but I could well believe it).

Initially there are two cells (with half a load of DNA each) - the sperm-cell (from the father) and the ovum from the mother.

These combine to become one cell - the zygote, with a full set of genes and a full complement of DNA.

I don't know how long it is between the combination and the first fission, but that one cell (the zygote) keeps multiplying until it becomes a whole body. All the cells are descended from the zygote and most of them have DNA from both father and mother (a few odd exceptions have 'lost' some of the DNA).

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
Absinthius
Posted: Monday, February 20, 2017 10:45:11 AM

Neurons: 22,930
A zygote is still a single cell. You are confusing cells with ploidy. As Drago also touched upon, cells generally are diploid or haploid, most cells in our body are diploid, with the exception of gametes. Cells can also be polyploid (having more than 2 of each chromosome), this is very common in intermediate stages of cell-division. We even have cells that arent ploid at all, erythrocytes (red blood cells) and thrombocytes (blood platelets) do not have a cell nucleus.

I think the phrase "every human spent about half an hour as a single cell" is a bit charged. Whereas we indeed do all start off as a single fertilized cell, I wouldn't say we are human at that point just yet. To me it would be as silly as claiming that any individual cell of your body is a human in its own respect.

Look, how about this? Let's pretend we've had the row and I've won. See? It saves a lot of effort.
Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Tuesday, March 7, 2017 11:08:52 AM

Just have look at the complete life-factory, the inside of a cell. No factory on earth can match the conglomeration of processes taking place in any single part of the cell...and there are billions of cells performing different mind-blowing processes and functions.

LuckyFan
Posted: Wednesday, March 8, 2017 8:19:18 AM

Neurons: 8
I love this forum! :-)

zygote is a single cell. Right?
Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Wednesday, March 8, 2017 11:26:18 AM

You are welcome, Luckyfan

No. A Zygote is the cell produced by the union of two gametes before it undergoes cleavage. Has 46 chromosomes.

Absinthius
Posted: Wednesday, March 8, 2017 1:00:08 PM

Neurons: 22,930
The zygote is a single cell. Ashwin is correct in stating that a zygote is a 'fertilized egg cell' meaning that it is created by the merging of two gametes. A gamete is haploid, it has 1 set of chromosomes (23 in total). A zygote is diploid and has indeed 2 sets, so 46 chromosomes.

Most cells in our body are diploid. Muscle cells, liver cells, skin cells, lung cells, you name it. A diploid cell is still a single cell, zygotes are no exception.

Look, how about this? Let's pretend we've had the row and I've won. See? It saves a lot of effort.