The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

It was the policy of the good old gentleman to make his children feel that home was the happiest place in the world; and I... Options
Daemon
Posted: Tuesday, March 07, 2017 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 62,418
It was the policy of the good old gentleman to make his children feel that home was the happiest place in the world; and I value this delicious home-feeling as one of the choicest gifts a parent can bestow.

Washington Irving (1783-1859)
KSPavan
Posted: Tuesday, March 07, 2017 2:13:08 AM

Neurons: 1,764,616
Quotation of the Day

It was the policy of the good old gentleman to make his children feel that home was the happiest place in the world; and I value this delicious home-feeling as one of the choicest gifts a parent can bestow.

Gift hebita
Posted: Tuesday, March 07, 2017 3:54:17 AM

Neurons: 133
I liked this quote so much
I woud like to ask if it was possible to add voice
Earning too
Bully_rus
Posted: Tuesday, March 07, 2017 9:27:55 AM

Neurons: 117,931
Daemon wrote:

The choicest gift that parent can bestow upon its children is love. All else will follow in due course, or later - or never.
mudbudda669
Posted: Tuesday, March 07, 2017 2:33:57 PM

Neurons: 201,258
I wish
monamagda
Posted: Tuesday, March 07, 2017 2:59:53 PM

Neurons: 3,294,432

Context from:THE SKETCH BOOK of GEOFFREY CRAYON, GENT.

CHRISTMAS EVE

My friend proposed that we should alight and walk through the park to the hall, which was at no great distance, while the chaise should follow on. Our road wound through a noble avenue of trees, among the naked branches of which the moon glittered as she rolled through the deep vault of a cloudless sky. The lawn beyond was sheeted with a slight covering of snow, which here and there sparkled as the moonbeams caught a frosty crystal, and at a distance might be seen a thin transparent vapor stealing up from the low grounds and threatening gradually to shroud the landscape.

My companion looked around him with transport. “How often,” said he, “have I scampered up this avenue on returning home on school vacations! How often have I played under these trees when a boy! I feel a degree of filial reverence for them, as we look up to those who have cherished us in childhood. My father was always scrupulous in exacting our holidays and having us around him on family festivals. He used to direct and superintend our games with the strictness that some parents do the studies of their children. He was very particular that we should play the old English games according to their original form, and consulted old books for precedent and authority for every ‘merrie disport;’ yet I assure you there never was pedantry so delightful. It was the policy of the good old gentleman to make his children feel that home was the happiest place in the world; and I value this delicious home-feeling as one of the choicest gifts a parent could bestow.”

We were interrupted by the clamor of a troop of dogs of all sorts and sizes, “mongrel, puppy, whelp, and hound, and curs of lower degree,” that disturbed by the ring of the porter’s bell and the rattling of the chaise, came bounding, open-mouthed, across the lawn.

“‘——The little dogs and all, Tray, Blanch,
and Sweetheart, see, they bark at me!’”

cried Bracebridge, laughing. At the sound of his voice the bark was changed into a yelp of delight, and in a moment he was surrounded and almost overpowered by the caresses of the faithful animals.

Read more :http://www.gutenberg.org/files/2048/2048-h/2048-h.htm#link2H_4_0025
Rick Ak
Posted: Tuesday, March 07, 2017 6:15:59 PM

Neurons: 7,213
Fantastic.Only the policy of the good old gentleman?Definitely the idea and attitude worth promotingApplause